Uncles, Aunts, Nephews, and Nieces

keefer
This topic is 1121 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Between us, my husband and I are uncles to a large number of nephews and nieces, and it's been a real joy to be in their lives. One of our nephews is gay, came out to us when he was 16, has visited a number of times with his boyfriend, and chats with me regularly on skype/zoom; one of our nieces is lesbian; we've helped her through various issues through the years; and she is exceptionally close to my partner - talking with him most days... and the other dozen are at various ages, and generally we're seen as the crazy/fun/attentive uncles.

I was recently reflecting on my last living uncle; and realized though I was desperate for an uncle or aunt I could really talk to -- I never had one in my life, and wondered if that's why we've put so much effort into the next generation...

was wondering if any of you had an uncle/aunt you came out to early in your life, who was very supportive, or even a gay uncle or aunt who provided an exceptional role model... or, if like me, you have nephews or nieces who have come out - and for whom you've been able to be the uncle you never had in your life....

My parents were both only children; so I had no aunts or uncles. And my sister, my only sibling, had no children. I did have an incredibly supportive grandmother, however. When I introduced my partner to her in 1974, she immediately embraced him and told him that he must be a very special person if I loved him. She introduced him as her other grandson and kept pictures of us in her apartment.

But she was born in the same Massachusetts city as Bette Davis

someone once mentioned they wished they had an aunt like Bette Davis... when I asked why they responded "... because she would have taught me how to sit properly on a bar stool and sip martini's for hours..."

someone once mentioned they wished they had an aunt like Bette Davis... when I asked them why they responded "... because she would have taught me how to sit properly on a bar stool and sip martini's for hours..."

My dad installed a telephone in Davis' house in New Hampshire. She was the definition of New England.

Between us, my husband and I are uncles to a large number of nephews and nieces, and it's been a real joy to be in their lives. One of our nephews is gay, came out to us when he was 16, has visited a number of times with his boyfriend, and chats with me regularly on skype/zoom; one of our nieces is lesbian; we've helped her through various issues through the years; and she is exceptionally close to my partner - talking with him most days... and the other dozen are at various ages, and generally we're seen as the crazy/fun/attentive uncles.

I was recently reflecting on my last living uncle; and realized though I was desperate for an uncle or aunt I could really talk to -- I never had one in my life, and wondered if that's why we've put so much effort into the next generation...

was wondering if any of you had an uncle/aunt you came out to early in your life, who was very supportive, or even a gay uncle or aunt who provided an exceptional role model... or, if like me, you have nephews or nieces who have come out - and for whom you've been able to be the uncle you never had in your life....

I'm the supportive uncle and great-uncle and it's one of life's true blessings! They're all in my will!

One aunt died before I was born and one uncle died when I was two years old. I was never really close enough to the other two aunts and uncles to "come out" to them, but the aunts both knew I was gay and were always friendly toward my boy friends and partners. I have no idea what the uncles thought. Mine was the kind of family in which everyone knew--or guessed--that I was gay, but it was never a topic of discussion.

I was an only child, so no nieces or nephews, but my spouse has four nieces and a nephew, and he and I are close to the nephew and one niece. I am actually closest to the nephew's wife, who told me that when her mother-in-law and father-in-law sat the niece and nephew down one day when they were teenagers to explain to them that I was more than "Uncle Joe's roommate," they cringed, because they had already figured that out for themselves, and had no problem with it. At their wedding reception, several members of the bridal party asked us how long we had been together and whether we were legally married. It is definitely a different world from my youth.

My mother was the youngest of eight children. I have great memories of all of her siblings and their spouses. Her brother (two years older) and his wife couldn't have kids

I miss them almost as much as my parents.

Very much regret not telling that Aunt and Uncle. What was I thinking?