What does "gay" mean?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1124 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It isn't always easy to be the cool, gay uncle. Yesterday my niece asked me: what does "gay" mean? One of her friends at school has a gay brother.

I thought I was ready for the question, but she caught me by surprise! ? my answer was age appropriate but not very graphic. ? I will do better next time!!

It isn't always easy to be the cool, gay uncle. Yesterday my niece asked me: what does "gay" mean? One of her friends at school has a gay brother.

I thought I was ready for the question, but she caught me by surprise! ? my answer was age appropriate but not very graphic. ? I will do better next time!!

It's an awkward question especially if you have to give an answer to little people. There was a blog on (I think) Huff Post a few years ago by the mother of a gay six or seven year old. She explored the trials of navigating that minefield. The typical question she faced from adults was how her son knew about sex and that it was gross that he did. She was emphatic that he knew that he 'liked' boys not girls, and that there was not a hint of sex in his thought processes. Her message was that adults jump to the question of sex and can't wrap their heads around simple attraction. I'm glad I've never been asked to do that, but I'd hope I could explain that it was like mummy and daddy like each other, except it's when two boys or two girls like each other in the same way. If the kid has no concept of sex, they should be able to understand that. Sex isn't part of how they understand their parents' relationship, so it would not form part of how they understand the relationship between two other people, be they the same or opposite sexes.

My husband and I just spent 4 days at Disney with my brother, his wife, and their two sons 7 and 9, my nephews.

I was expecting A LOT of questions as this is our first vacation together in 5 years. Nothing. They didn’t care that we shared a bed, held hands, kissed in elevators. They just cared that we’d ride roller coasters with them and each take a hand so they could jump in the air as we walked around the park.

this is a stark contrast to 10 years ago when my other 7 year old nephew at the time mercilessly grilled us as we fumbled through mish moshed answers that made no sense lol

It's a tricky thing to deal with when trying to explain to young kids, who tend to generalize from their own experience. Until hormones start to kick in at puberty, many kids "like" friends of their own gender more than the opposite gender, so trying to explain the relationship between adult gays is confusing if the kids still don't understand anything about sexual attraction as opposed to friendship.