Gay beaches around New York?...

Italiano
This topic is 5707 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I lived in Italy I knew more or less all (and there are many!!) the beaches where you could find (and cruise) gay men, naked or with speedos.

Relatively new to New York, where around here (I live in Brooklyn, but I doubt there could be gay beaches here?...) can someone find beaches with hot men who don't like pussies and women's tits?

I heard about Fire Island but that's too far, I would like informations around here.

Thanks!

Yes, the gay beach at Riis Park in the Rockaway's is still there, I just read about it in the newspaper, however, it has been decades since I have been there. In the 70's, it was a gay mecca on the weekends. The eastern end remains the gay section and clothing optional. To get to Riis Park, take the Number 2 train to Flatbush and transfer to the Q35 bus.

Jones Beach is perhaps the most beautiful and pristine location for sun and fun in the NY area. It's not that hard to get to. Take the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Freeport and transfer to the Jones Beach bus. It's a bit of a walk to the gay section, but on a great day, you can't beat this beach. (Advice: Since it's an isolated spot, without any concession stands, bring plenty of cold water or purchase it before you hit the beach for the walk to the gay section!)

Fire Island is a bit further and requires, not only the LIRR, but travel to and from the ferry.

I'm not sure about other beach locations in NYC, such as Orchard Beach in the Bronx, but you might also explore NJ beaches, such as Gunnison Beach in Sandy Hook or Asbury Park. No matter what you're going to have to travel to all of these locations, so make a day of it. There are also public and private pools in NYC with sun decks.

Enjoy.

ED

>Jones Beach is perhaps the most beautiful and pristine

>location for sun and fun in the NY area.

It's not so pristine anymore. At Field 6, they got rid of all of the trash cans, and slobs just leave their garbage on the beach, which doesn't get picked up by any park staff. We literally have to kick Gatorade bottles and deli containers out of the way to clear a spot, and then get the occasional newspaper page flying in our faces on a windy day. And nobody cruises anymore, now that the dunes are roped off permanently to protect nesting birds (or so they say). The water's still nice, though. :)

Jones Beach also has its share of nasty, little homophobic pricks to endure -- at the shower room, the food stand and on the adjacent beaches. Very unpleasant. That's something you seldom, if ever, encounter on Fire Island, though Sayville, en route, can sometimes be unpleasant in that regard.

Years ago late in the afternoon on the LIRR Sayville platform, at least 100 buff, muscular guys waited for the train back to NYC. Some pipsqueaks pulled up across the way and started calling "Fags! Fags!" Some really muscular guy shouted, "Come over here and say that." The guys on the platform joined in, shouting and shaking their fists, like the gladiators in "Spartacus" shouting "I am Spartacus!" Those cocksuckers rolled up their windows and drove off and everyone on the platform cheered. It was a wonderful moment, the most delightful instance of someone turning tail and running away.

"I'd say that's a bit of an extreme reaction, now wouldn't you?" -- N.F. Bates

Lankypeters

In the Late 70's EARLY 80'S "Greasy Riisee" as we REGS used to call it.. was indeed the Beach for the Newly Somewhat Liberated!

JT spent most his Gay Youth every Summer there!

The Eastside Queens used to call it the "Poor Mans Fire Island"! LOL

Sadly RIIS Park with the coming of AIDS slowly but surely became a Ghost Town, with the Rep eventually as "DYKE CENTRAL"!

It has been deserted to a great extent FOR MANY YEARS, Totally rundown...Other than the Occasional BKLYN DYKES and TRUST ME AGED Queens who should have hung up their SPEEDOS 30 Years Ago, never mind not wear them at all! BUT there are those with the "Nothing to Lose" Senior Mentality!

Is it worth the Ride..Gas-Tolls-Parking Lot?

Sadly Like some Working Guys...Hell No!

;-)

Gee! And I thought we went to the beach for the sun and a swim! LOL

The idea used to be to get some color to look tan and healthy for that Saturday night out in the bars cruising for Mr. Saturday Night Sex.

The whole world has changed. I, too, remember the sex romps in the dunes at Jones Beach and the line-up for sex in the public bathroom at Riis Park! Times change and we just have to adjust.

As I suggested, there are private pools in midtown that although somehwat expensive can provide a nice day for tanning and a swim. one of the best kept secrets in NYC is the health club at Manhattan Plaza on West 43rd St and 10th Avenue. They have an indoor/outdoor pool, sun deck, and a fully-equipped gym downstairs with steam & suana. Haven't been a member in years, so I don't know what the deal is today.

ED

>Jones Beach also has its share of nasty, little homophobic

>pricks to endure -- at the shower room, the food stand and on

>the adjacent beaches. Very unpleasant.

That sucks. But you know, Derek and I have never experienced that. As a matter of fact, it's the complete opposite for us. We do the hetero-bashing, mocking the straight guys who are terrified to get naked in front of other men, as they take their showers completely dressed in boxers and cargo shorts. Derek's favorite line is to ask them, "Is this laundry day?" Really bizarre that we are often the only two who are naked...and yes, we do notice those guys taking furtive glances. :p

See JT's comments above. When I discovered it in the early 1960s, it was a great place for my best friend and me to spend a summer weekend afternoon; we not only picked up tricks, we made some friendships that lasted for years. I'm sorry to hear what it has become.

Charlie Sad Indeed... BUT Cruising with the Advent of AIDS spelled Doom for RIIS Park! In the day the "Gay End" of the Beach was Mobbed on Sat & Sundays!

Then there was a Newspaper Story probably in the NY POST about the Nude GAY Area! From then on things changed...

Why now Years Later a story about a Dirty Beach and probably 3 Aged Nudists on it who knows?

It is Now part of Gateway National Park....Anyway it has not been worth the Trip in a LONG TIME! ;-)

Another beach here on Long Island but closer to the city is Long Beach.It's about a 40 minute ride from Penn Station on the LIRR.When you get to Long Beach it's about an 8 block walk to the boardwalk and beach.The beach is immaculate and so much hot eye candy.While there's no gay section Long Beach has a fair amount of gay men living there and the boardwalk is known to be cruisy after dark.Spend a weekend afternoon there and check it out.

>If I remember correctly the bus from Flatbush Ave goes

>directly to Field 6 and you only have a short walk.

>

>I guess you could call Riis Park and ask....

>

>ED

I am a little confused...

Jonas Beach abd RIIS Park beach are the same thing?..

Rick was mentioning Field 6 at Jonas Park,a s you are mentioning Field 6 at Riis Park beach

Riis Park has 1 Big Parking Lot, with 3 Sections. The Area to the Far Right as you Enter is where the Gay's Parked, a few that still go still do.

There's a Hole in the Fence, compliments of the Butch Dyes that used to Play Softball Years Ago which everyone still goes thru to cross over the road to the Beach. The Parking was $4.00 for the day last year.

"Long Beach" Definitely has alot of Straight Eye Candy...But it will be alot more Entertaining than sitting on a Neglected Beach with few people on it. ;-)

Archived