MLB 2021 Baseball Season

Lucky
This topic is 886 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On 10/7/2021 at 12:14 PM, WilliamM said:

Congratulations to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a quite well played wild card game by both teams.

The Dodgers-Giants series should be very  close, both possible world series champions in 2021.

Would love to see the Red Sox and the Dodgers in the World Series. 
I expect all of my friends that are Giants fans are cool to that idea.  

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Lucky said:

The NY Post today has an article on fans who run onto the field, along with lots of pictures. Here's one:

1343975144.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=98

https://nypost.com/2021/10/09/photos-sports-fans-behaving-badly-2021/

At Fenway, any fan who steps on the field and gets caught was hit with a $1,000 fine.  That was in the early 2000s, the fine has probably gone up since.  It was comical to see the friends of a drunk or overenthusiastic fan (like trying to catch an foul ball) frantically grabbing the guy's arms, belt, anything just to prevent him from spilling onto the field.  Since the Boston PD liked the revenue, they would hunt you down to the ends of the Earth to nail you with that fine.  I wonder what the rules/laws are in other cities.

13 hours ago, Lucky said:

The NY Post today has an article on fans who run onto the field

45 minutes ago, BSR said:

At Fenway, any fan who steps on the field and gets caught was hit with a $1,000 fine.  That was in the early 2000s, the fine has probably gone up since.  I wonder what the rules/laws are in other cities.

I think Texas imposes the death penalty for such infractions.  I could be wrong, though.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, Lucky said:

Congratulations to the NY Yankees. May you win the wild card game!

On 10/6/2021 at 4:12 AM, BabyBoomer said:

They're going home. One and done. IS IT TIME FOR AARON BOONE TO GO?

~Boomer~

On 10/6/2021 at 9:18 AM, Lucky said:

It is.

It's not Boone's fault, or the players', or Cashman's, or even Hal Steinbrenner's.  The true culprit:

Curse of Billy 'Gloat' De Blasio first NYC mayor with no championship teams in 100 years

Mayor de Blasio has clinched a dubious distinction: New York City’s first mayor in more than a century who won’t celebrate a single championship by any of Gotham’s major sports teams.

On 10/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, E.T.Bass said:

Would love to see the Red Sox and the Dodgers in the World Series. 
I expect all of my friends that are Giants fans are cool to that idea.  

spacer.png

Well I hope the aSF Giants win over the Dastardly Dodgers. The below article depicts a dark picture of one of their star pitchers:

https://dodgersway.com/2021/10/13/dodgers-blake-treinen-instagram-bio-problem-prophet/

On 9/22/2021 at 4:13 PM, WilliamM said:

The St Louis Cardinals go after the team 11 win in a row tonight Against the Brewers tonight in Milwaukee.

On 9/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

They just are a model organization. Incredible. They came out of nowhere. 

On 9/22/2021 at 6:32 PM, WilliamM said:

Third Baseman Nolan Arenado  picked up from Colorado...

On 9/22/2021 at 7:24 PM, samhexum said:

is adorable.

The Cardinals have fired manager Mike Shildt, as first reported by Rob Rains of StLSportsPage (Twitter link). At a press conference announcing the news, St. Louis president of baseball operations John Mozeliak told reporters (including Jeff Passan of ESPN) the organization made the decision based on “philosophical differences” between Shildt and the front office about the direction of the franchise.

It’s a shocking development, since there was no prior indication Shildt’s job was in jeopardy. Indeed, the broader expectation as recently as last week had been that Shildt and the team would try to work out a contract extension, with his current deal running only through the 2022 season. Instead, the Cardinals will go in another direction in spite of the club’s strong run of play during Shildt’s tenure.

Today’s announcement concludes Shildt’s nearly two decades in the Cardinal organization. The 53-year-old began his career as a scout and minor league coach in the St. Louis system in the early 2000’s, steadily working his way up the organizational ladder. By 2017, he’d earned a spot on the big league coaching staff, and he took over as the major league manager on an interim basis in July 2018 when the club fired Mike Matheny. The club removed the interim tag a month later.

St. Louis won the NL Central and advanced to the NLCS in 2019, Shildt’s first full season at the helm. They finished in second place and lost in the Wild Card round during last year’s shortened season. This year, the Cardinals hovered right around .500 for the first few months before rattling off a miraculous 17-game win streak in September to coast to a Wild Card spot. St. Louis lost to the Dodgers in last week’s Wild Card game and ultimately won just one playoff series during Shildt’s tenure. But the club advanced to the playoffs all three years in which he was at the helm.

While there’s little to quibble with from a results perspective, the front office clearly determined a new voice was needed behind the scenes. While announcing the news, Mozeliak noted that the Cardinals believe they have “quality internal candidates” who could be options to step into the manager’s office, although he declined additional comment when asked whether the team planned to stay internal or look outside the organization for Shildt’s replacement (via Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post).

I hate the ESPN commentators who think that people tune in to hear them talk at the expense of the game, but TBS was also quite obnoxious as they repeatedly showed their logo during the game- hundreds of times. It was annoying.

The moral of the story seems to be to root for the opposite team that I root for. My Yankees lost, and then my Giants. I won't be watching the rest of the games. baseball is now over for me.

On 10/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, Lucky said:

My Yankees lost... I won't be watching the rest of the games. baseball is now over for me.

As a Yankee fan I hate the Red Sox, but as a baseball fan I despise the Astros.  So I find myself positively giddy that the Sox have grand slams in each of the first 2 innings today.  I never thought I'd be able to say/write that.

A bit later...

Enrique (Kike) Hernandez just homered and the Sox are clinging to a 9-0 lead in the 4th.  I'm impressed, jealous, and annoyed at this:

Signed for 2yr/$14 mil to play 2nd, he wound up playing about 1/3 of a season's worth of games there, but wound up playing 81 games in CF, with 14 defensive runs saved.

Today's game is only 1/2 over, but as of now he is 15-24, with a one, two, three, four, and five hit game in his last 4 1/2 games with 4 doubles and 5 home runs.  8 runs, 9 RBI

The Dodgers are a good home team so I'm expecting them to bounce back with the series shifting to LA. I honestly feel they have a right to be upset though with the playoff format. Despite having the second best record in MLB they first have to play in a one game wild card. Then they get the team with the best record in MLB in the first round. And then they go into this series having had 106 wins in the regular season while Atlanta had 88 but Atlanta has home field advantage due to winning their division. It's one of those things that doesn't happen every year but they should go ahead and reseed when it gets to the championship series at least to reward the team with the better record home field!

On 10/14/2021 at 3:30 PM, samhexum said:

The Cardinals have fired manager Mike Shildt, as first reported by Rob Rains of StLSportsPage (Twitter link). At a press conference announcing the news, St. Louis president of baseball operations John Mozeliak told reporters (including Jeff Passan of ESPN) the organization made the decision based on “philosophical differences” between Shildt and the front office about the direction of the franchise.

It’s a shocking development, since there was no prior indication Shildt’s job was in jeopardy. Indeed, the broader expectation as recently as last week had been that Shildt and the team would try to work out a contract extension, with his current deal running only through the 2022 season. Instead, the Cardinals will go in another direction in spite of the club’s strong run of play during Shildt’s tenure.

Today’s announcement concludes Shildt’s nearly two decades in the Cardinal organization. The 53-year-old began his career as a scout and minor league coach in the St. Louis system in the early 2000’s, steadily working his way up the organizational ladder. By 2017, he’d earned a spot on the big league coaching staff, and he took over as the major league manager on an interim basis in July 2018 when the club fired Mike Matheny. The club removed the interim tag a month later.

St. Louis won the NL Central and advanced to the NLCS in 2019, Shildt’s first full season at the helm. They finished in second place and lost in the Wild Card round during last year’s shortened season. This year, the Cardinals hovered right around .500 for the first few months before rattling off a miraculous 17-game win streak in September to coast to a Wild Card spot. St. Louis lost to the Dodgers in last week’s Wild Card game and ultimately won just one playoff series during Shildt’s tenure. But the club advanced to the playoffs all three years in which he was at the helm.

While there’s little to quibble with from a results perspective, the front office clearly determined a new voice was needed behind the scenes. While announcing the news, Mozeliak noted that the Cardinals believe they have “quality internal candidates” who could be options to step into the manager’s office, although he declined additional comment when asked whether the team planned to stay internal or look outside the organization for Shildt’s replacement (via Chelsea Janes of the Washington Post).

The Cards general manager was thrilled at the team this year. And said Mike Shild was truly shocked he was fired. Reading a few articles, perhaps they want to go with younger players in their farm system.

Strange for a team with the fourth highest average attendance in baseball in 2021. 

Maybe they should let Adam Wainwright, Yadier Molina, Nolan Arenado and Harrison Baden (naked) pick The manager

On 10/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, Lucky said:

I hate the Dodgers.

Okay, that's true. But who could root for Atlanta? The city has no personality. It's just a big suburb. Houston's not much better.

So, boy howdy, wouldn't it be great if there was a Dodgers-Red Sox World Series? They both have avid fan bases and it would just be downright exciting!

Not as exciting as a Yankee series, but then...

And of course the Dodgers have their work cut out for them.