Any word from LA earthquake "survivors?"

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5721 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

To our Los Angeles flock here:

So, how bad was it? And, more important, how do you feel about the predictions that the San Andreas Fault will erupt within 30 years, an event that would be far worse than the 1906 San Francisco earthquake?

It was 5.4 and centered in Chino Hills. I was walking home and I didn't feel it at all but my neighbors did. I live about 60 miles away from the center.

We get about 55 earthquakes a week all under 3.0 so people are used to it.

Those of us who are native Californians are always bemused by the reaction to our earthquakes by people from other parts of the country. I live about fifteen miles from Chino Hills which, I understand, was the epicenter. I was working at my computer and the room suddenly began to move. This one actually seemed to make some noise but it was over quite quickly. The motion was more rolling than jolting. I have two wall clocks that stopped but that was the extent of the damage to my place. I understand from friends, who live in Chino Hills, that some things were knocked off shelves and a few items were broken BUT thankfully NO serious damage. Frankly I prefer our earthquakes to the hurricanes, twisters, and floods that people in other parts of the country face.

Thanks for your concern and have a great evening.

I work on the second story of a small office building about 15-20 miles west of Chino Hills (the epicenter.) There was quite a bit of rolling, and it lasted for a good 15 seconds or so, so it was definitely a bit scary. The problem is that once it starts, you have no idea (1) how long it's going to last or (2) how much stronger it's going to get. Fortunately there was no big jolt in this quake -- it was more of a protracted rolling motion. I think that helped to minimize the damage, since most buildings are constructed to withstand that kind of a quake at this magnitude.

I was lying on my bed watching tv when the bed started to rock and roll; I thought my partner had jumped on the bed behind me, then realized he was still sitting at the dining room table eating his lunch--the table swayed, but he kept eating and didn't even make a comment about it. He said the 5.2 we had here in Palm Springs three years ago, which barely made the national news, was much scarier. I'd rather have this than the thunderstorm we had a week ago, that flooded streets and knocked out our power for 26 hours.

Archived