Holiday reading recommendations - LGBTQ friendly

FrankR
This topic is 999 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I suspect most of us will be spending some quality time at home during COVID. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have the following on my list:

1. Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston - which is a romantic comedy about a gay couple

2. Dutchy of Terra series by Glynn Stewart - it is a space opera with a gay couple front and center; and the heroine of the series appears to be Bi and into bondage! :-)

tumblr_p406uk6gDp1x5cwc8o2_400.jpg

• 5 months later...

On 12/17/2020 at 4:32 PM, FrankR said:

I suspect most of us will be spending some quality time at home during COVID. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have the following on my list:

1. Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston - which is a romantic comedy about a gay couple

These last two days I have been reading Red, White, & Royal Blue. Although at times preposterous or silly, it is indeed a fun romp of a read for someone looking to enjoy time at the beach or a long plane ride. Imagine a Prince of England secretly dating the First Son of the United States! No, not Don Jr. and Prince Harry. Author McQuiston creates a female president and a 21 year old son. e meets Prince Henry.  Will love blossom? Will they get caught? Who sucks whom? Lots of history too.

Here's the link to Red, White & Royal Blue: https://www.amazon.com/Red-White-Royal-Blue-Novel-ebook/dp/B07J4LPZRN/ref=sr_1_2?crid=18MEVCKEMOP94&dchild=1&keywords=red%2C+white+%26+royal+blue+by+casey+mcquiston&qid=1622651992&sprefix=red%2C+white+%26+royal+blue%2Caps%2C217&sr=8-2

With 91% of the reviews either 4 or 5 star, it's amazing that the ones Amazon quotes are mostly the negative ones.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed "Red, White, and Royal Blue."  Great escapism.  A fun read.

That same summer, I read a few novels aimed at young adults.  Maybe I just needed some of the innocence and optimism of the young characters to raise my spirits.

The Music of What Happens by Bill Konigsberg

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Saenz (and I just learned there is a follow-up: Aristotle and Dante Dive Into the Waters of the World).  Also from the same author: The Inexplicable Logic of My Life.

This is not a new book but one I think should be required reading for gay men.  It's a critical look at gay culture, esp ghetto, drug, and hyper-masculinity subcultures.  It's not all negative tho' also highlights plenty of alternative positive gay subcultures.   Originally published in 1997, some of it's content will be dated, like many of us 😎.   I read this book when we were living in the ghetto and fully immersed in ghetto culture and it helped us turn our lives in a new direction:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Outside-Signorile-Muscles-Passages/dp/0060187611/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2SHGZL5CC9MB0&dchild=1&keywords=michelangelo+signorile&qid=1625399177&sprefix=michalangelo+sign%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-3

Another suggestion, The Male Couple.   Written by psychologists who interviewed 1000s of couples, and followed 100s for several years.   Gives insights to how male relationships develop and how they are different from other relationships.  Read this just before meeting my husband and it gave us real insights to some of the things we experienced along the way.   Again, originally published 1985 so some context will be dated (like, this is before internet, iPhones and Grindr); but the basics I think still hold true:

https://www.amazon.com/Male-Couple-How-Relationships-Develop/dp/0135476615/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+male+couple&qid=1625399450&sr=8-1

Edited by JEC