TIM RUSSERT

jackhammer91406
This topic is 5782 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought things couldn't get worse when the Lakers lost game 4 last night.

Then today it was announced that Tim Russert had died suddenly after taping his weekly program (no, not MEET THE PRESS).

I am posting this here rather than the politics forum because although Tim's life's blood was politics, he was perhaps the most apolitical journalist covering politics.

What is sad for his family and friends is the loss of a good and loving man. What is sad for our country is at a time when we really need a clear and brilliant mind to ask the questions that need asking in this election year, today we lost the one man who could be trusted to ask them honestly without bias.

Very sad for America.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought things couldn't get worse when the Lakers lost game 4 last night.

Then today it was announced that Tim Russert had died suddenly after taping his weekly program (no, not MEET THE PRESS).

I am posting this here rather than the politics forum because although Tim's life's blood was politics, he was perhaps the most apolitical journalist covering politics.

What is sad for his family and friends is the loss of a good and loving man. What is sad for our country is at a time when we really need a clear and brilliant mind to ask the questions that need asking in this election year, today we lost the one man who could be trusted to ask them honestly without bias.

Very sad for America.

Guest Tristan

Thanks for providing the link to the article. The writer makes a lot of salient points about the phenomenon that occurred yesterday in the coverage of Tim Russert's death. I very much liked and respected Tim Russert. I especially enjoyed his insight into the primaries and upcoming election. I believe someone covering the story said that Tim Russert invented the concept of "blue" and "red" states. He was one of the very few real journalists left.

When I think of having nothing but news reporters, or should we say entertainers, like Wolf Blitzer and the younger Rick Sanchez, it makes me cringe. Wolf wins first prize for the ability to say the same thing in as many ways imaginable, while Rick loudly and aggressively hammers away at his guests, while practically putting words in their mouths, without waiting for an answer. (The second gives me an Excedrin headache.) This is not journalism.

[b/]I think what happened yesterday was not atypical of the media.[/b] We have seen this many times in the past, whatever the breaking news was. The media just keeps rehashing and recycling the same story all day and night, while neglecting all the other important news in the US and the world. What makes it even worse is that the media keep the headline "Breaking News" on the screen all day, as if the story broke ten minutes ago. I won't get into all the stories that deserved more coverage. The article Rick provided does a good job of that.

Guest Tristan

Thanks for providing the link to the article. The writer makes a lot of salient points about the phenomenon that occurred yesterday in the coverage of Tim Russert's death. I very much liked and respected Tim Russert. I especially enjoyed his insight into the primaries and upcoming election. I believe someone covering the story said that Tim Russert invented the concept of "blue" and "red" states. He was one of the very few real journalists left.

When I think of having nothing but news reporters, or should we say entertainers, like Wolf Blitzer and the younger Rick Sanchez, it makes me cringe. Wolf wins first prize for the ability to say the same thing in as many ways imaginable, while Rick loudly and aggressively hammers away at his guests, while practically putting words in their mouths, without waiting for an answer. (The second gives me an Excedrin headache.) This is not journalism.

[b/]I think what happened yesterday was not atypical of the media.[/b] We have seen this many times in the past, whatever the breaking news was. The media just keeps rehashing and recycling the same story all day and night, while neglecting all the other important news in the US and the world. What makes it even worse is that the media keep the headline "Breaking News" on the screen all day, as if the story broke ten minutes ago. I won't get into all the stories that deserved more coverage. The article Rick provided does a good job of that.

PERSPECTIVE

I am in agreement that yesterday's coverage of Russert's untimely passing was a bit over the top. Yet I understand every bit of it.

If you or I lost a good friend, lover,mentor, brother, sister, father, mother, (you get the idea) we would talk about it for hours on end, for days, weeks even; it's called closure.

The news media yesterday just had access to broadcast media. Sure MSNBC could have gotten away with much less coverage. But as several said during the course of the day, on several networks, Russert was a one of a kind. There was probably no one person who was better able to put issues in this election into perspective for the American People than Tim Russert. While his background came from the Democratic side of the spectrum, once he became a journalist, he changed his registration to independent and pursued his career as impartial as is possible. When he gave the guests on his shows a chance to answer fully the hard questions he asked, he did something few of his peers do today; Show no favorites.

Those that are left in his field are no where near as good at it as he was.

When even your competitors (CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, and all of the anchors and reporters for those outlets) say the same thing, it gives a certain credibility to it.

I think it would be easy to underestimate Russert's place in the political scene as it affects the average American today.

PERSPECTIVE

I am in agreement that yesterday's coverage of Russert's untimely passing was a bit over the top. Yet I understand every bit of it.

If you or I lost a good friend, lover,mentor, brother, sister, father, mother, (you get the idea) we would talk about it for hours on end, for days, weeks even; it's called closure.

The news media yesterday just had access to broadcast media. Sure MSNBC could have gotten away with much less coverage. But as several said during the course of the day, on several networks, Russert was a one of a kind. There was probably no one person who was better able to put issues in this election into perspective for the American People than Tim Russert. While his background came from the Democratic side of the spectrum, once he became a journalist, he changed his registration to independent and pursued his career as impartial as is possible. When he gave the guests on his shows a chance to answer fully the hard questions he asked, he did something few of his peers do today; Show no favorites.

Those that are left in his field are no where near as good at it as he was.

When even your competitors (CNN, Fox, CBS, ABC, and all of the anchors and reporters for those outlets) say the same thing, it gives a certain credibility to it.

I think it would be easy to underestimate Russert's place in the political scene as it affects the average American today.

RE: PERSPECTIVE

>If you or I lost a good friend, lover,mentor, brother, sister,

>father, mother, (you get the idea) we would talk about it for

>hours on end, for days, weeks even; it's called closure.

True; so, where's the non-stop coverage of all of the soldiers killed and maimed in Iraq and Afghanistan (4 more in the last 24 hrs.)? Where's the closure for their families? Again, a more eloquent person expresses it better than I can:

An Open Letter to the Media

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/14/63812/4716/248/535721

>If you or I lost a good friend, lover,mentor, brother, sister,

>father, mother, (you get the idea) we would talk about it for

>hours on end, for days, weeks even; it's called closure.

True; so, where's the non-stop coverage of all of the soldiers killed and maimed in Iraq and Afghanistan (4 more in the last 24 hrs.)? Where's the closure for their families? Again, a more eloquent person expresses it better than I can:

An Open Letter to the Media

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/6/14/63812/4716/248/535721

I read the link...thanks for posting it.

I wonder then are you and the blogger saying that because there isn't non stop coverage of the war, that there cannot be a day of mourning for Tim Russert? I don't see the relationship between the two. It's not like Russert was an advocate of the war.

And the news media has certainly not kept the war, nor it's supporters and detractors, a secret.

I read the link...thanks for posting it.

I wonder then are you and the blogger saying that because there isn't non stop coverage of the war, that there cannot be a day of mourning for Tim Russert? I don't see the relationship between the two. It's not like Russert was an advocate of the war.

And the news media has certainly not kept the war, nor it's supporters and detractors, a secret.

>And the news media has certainly not kept the war, nor it's

>supporters and detractors, a secret.

The TV news media have kept the military analyst/propaganda program a secret; they've refused to cover the story, because it implicates them.

I absolutely think Tim Russert deserves the tributes. I just wanted to add another perspective, that's all.

>And the news media has certainly not kept the war, nor it's

>supporters and detractors, a secret.

The TV news media have kept the military analyst/propaganda program a secret; they've refused to cover the story, because it implicates them.

I absolutely think Tim Russert deserves the tributes. I just wanted to add another perspective, that's all.

Guest zipperzone

>When I think of having nothing but news reporters, or should

>we say entertainers, like Wolf Blitzer and the younger Rick

>Sanchez, it makes me cringe. Wolf wins first prize for the

>ability to say the same thing in as many ways imaginable,

>while Rick loudly and aggressively hammers away at his guests,

>while practically putting words in their mouths, without

>waiting for an answer. (The second gives me an Excedrin

>headache.) This is not journalism.

Blitzer has one of the most aggravating voices on TV and manages to look like one of Santa's dwarfs in a pin-striped suit.

Sanchez is nothing but a no talent bully. I can't understand why someone he is interviewing doesn't tell him to "shut up and let me finish my answer. If you're not interested in hearing it - don't ask me in the first place". He should have married Nancy Grace - match made in heaven (although I would also like to see her paired with Glen Beck)

Don't get me started on Lou Dobbs........

But we have no one but ourselves to blame. We wield the ultimate power. It's called a remote.

The only one with any class these days is our very own Anderson Cooper.

Guest zipperzone

>When I think of having nothing but news reporters, or should

>we say entertainers, like Wolf Blitzer and the younger Rick

>Sanchez, it makes me cringe. Wolf wins first prize for the

>ability to say the same thing in as many ways imaginable,

>while Rick loudly and aggressively hammers away at his guests,

>while practically putting words in their mouths, without

>waiting for an answer. (The second gives me an Excedrin

>headache.) This is not journalism.

Blitzer has one of the most aggravating voices on TV and manages to look like one of Santa's dwarfs in a pin-striped suit.

Sanchez is nothing but a no talent bully. I can't understand why someone he is interviewing doesn't tell him to "shut up and let me finish my answer. If you're not interested in hearing it - don't ask me in the first place". He should have married Nancy Grace - match made in heaven (although I would also like to see her paired with Glen Beck)

Don't get me started on Lou Dobbs........

But we have no one but ourselves to blame. We wield the ultimate power. It's called a remote.

The only one with any class these days is our very own Anderson Cooper.

I heard about Tim Russert's death waiting for a train yesterday afternoon. As soon as I could get online I checked blogs I read frequently - mainly, Daily Kos. What surprised me is how Tim Russert seems to be in the process of being elevated to sainthood and was able to walk on water.

As I write this, I personally was shocked to hear about his death. I do feel very bad for his wife and son (a son who just graduated from college.) Having heard Tim mention his father, "Big Russ", I can imagine his pain. Although I'll never be in this position, I've seen how dreadful losing a child can be to a parent. Tim loved his father and treated him well.

There's no doubt Tim was a hard worker and loved politics. I am glad he was a mentor to many other journalists. However, things written within the last year are quickly forgotten. Does no one remember the comment attributed to Dick Cheney (paraphrasing) that when Cheney wanted to spread (mis)information, the first stop was Meet the Press? Does no one remember Tim's testimony at Scooter Libby's trial?

Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many good points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk about Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how Tim's negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

I heard about Tim Russert's death waiting for a train yesterday afternoon. As soon as I could get online I checked blogs I read frequently - mainly, Daily Kos. What surprised me is how Tim Russert seems to be in the process of being elevated to sainthood and was able to walk on water.

As I write this, I personally was shocked to hear about his death. I do feel very bad for his wife and son (a son who just graduated from college.) Having heard Tim mention his father, "Big Russ", I can imagine his pain. Although I'll never be in this position, I've seen how dreadful losing a child can be to a parent. Tim loved his father and treated him well.

There's no doubt Tim was a hard worker and loved politics. I am glad he was a mentor to many other journalists. However, things written within the last year are quickly forgotten. Does no one remember the comment attributed to Dick Cheney (paraphrasing) that when Cheney wanted to spread (mis)information, the first stop was Meet the Press? Does no one remember Tim's testimony at Scooter Libby's trial?

Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many good points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk about Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how Tim's negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

>Does no one remember the comment attributed to Dick Cheney

>(paraphrasing) that when Cheney wanted to spread

>(mis)information, the first stop was Meet the Press? Does no

>one remember Tim's testimony at Scooter Libby's trial?

I remember, Danny. I especially loved this quote: "When I talk to senior government officials on the phone, it's my own policy -- our conversations are confidential. If I want to use anything from that conversation, then I will ask permission." Unreal.

>Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many good

>points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk about

>Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how Tim's

>negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

I don't think they've been forgotten. I think people probably just think it's not in good taste to bring it up now. The virtual sainthood is bizarre, though.

>Does no one remember the comment attributed to Dick Cheney

>(paraphrasing) that when Cheney wanted to spread

>(mis)information, the first stop was Meet the Press? Does no

>one remember Tim's testimony at Scooter Libby's trial?

I remember, Danny. I especially loved this quote: "When I talk to senior government officials on the phone, it's my own policy -- our conversations are confidential. If I want to use anything from that conversation, then I will ask permission." Unreal.

>Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many good

>points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk about

>Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how Tim's

>negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

I don't think they've been forgotten. I think people probably just think it's not in good taste to bring it up now. The virtual sainthood is bizarre, though.

>>Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many

>good

>>points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk

>about

>>Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how

>Tim's

>>negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

>

>I don't think they've been forgotten. I think people probably

>just think it's not in good taste to bring it up now. The

>virtual sainthood is bizarre, though.

I totally agree. Now's not the time to dredge up the past. But, virtual sainthood is the word of the day.

>>Most people have their good and bad points. Tim had many

>good

>>points. I can understand that some may not wish to talk

>about

>>Tim's negatives at this time. What surprises me is how

>Tim's

>>negatives have so quickly been forgotten.

>

>I don't think they've been forgotten. I think people probably

>just think it's not in good taste to bring it up now. The

>virtual sainthood is bizarre, though.

I totally agree. Now's not the time to dredge up the past. But, virtual sainthood is the word of the day.

Judgement

Boy,

You and Rick are tough judges.

I don't recall saying anything about sainthood.

I simply started a thread noting the passing of someone I thought worthy of note.

You guys decided it merited noting the shortcomings of this guy.

Kind of like dancing on someone's grave if you ask me (which you didn't I realize). But to each his own.

I hope people are easier on judging you both when your time comes. I am sure they will be. I'll be happy to vote for canonization when your names come up.

Archived