Digital Phone Service or Mobile Only?

Guest ryan2552
This topic is 5767 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ryan2552

Hey guys I'm getting tired of the lack of service and slow response from my local provider ATT. I know my cable company (Time Warner) offers digital phone service as does Vonage plus most likely others.

Has anyone had experience with Vonage or their cable providers digital service? If so can you provide your thoughts on it?

As a sidebar to this I'm also considering doing away completely with land line service. I seem to use my mobile phone 99% of the time. Has anyone gone the mobile phone only route? Does that work for all your needs?

I live just outside the Harrisburg PA area, so my cell service is pretty consistent, which I'm sure is a big factor for people deciding to go without a land line.

I have not had a land line phone in over 4 years, and I have never regretted that decision.

For the past two years I have had a digital line thru Comcast because it was offered as part of a package with a good rate. I don't think we used that line more than once a month. The package contract just ended, so we have discontinued the digital line since we basically didn't use it.

I have vonage as well as cell service. I like vonage for a couple of reasons.. One is that you can have your area code from any place you like.. so if you live in California and all your family/friends live in NY, you can have a NY number while living in California.. so it saves your friends the long distance charges.. Secondly, with Vonage, you get free long distance (even many international calls) The 30$ monthly charge at Vonage enabled me to reduce my cell phone minutes and the savings equalled out for me.. and btw, no on or off plan times with vonage..

I switched long ago to a combined service from my cable provider that offers cable, internet and phone service. The total combined was cheaper than keeping separate phone from AT&T. You might consider that. I had Time Warner phone in the midwest and it worked fine. I have COX out here and it also works fine and is basically free for basic stuff. Then I use my cell phone or SKYPE for long distance calling.

I've had Vonage for a couple of years, but mostly because my WiFi router came Vonage-ready. I just plugged my regular phone into the router and done.

I've toyed with getting rid of it and going cell-only, but that ability to have your area code anywhere (and even having multiple numbers) is handy.

There is (or was) ONE downside I've discovered. When you first get a TiVO box, the box needs to phone home to complete setup but it MUST use a standard POTS line. It would NOT use my Vonage line. Don't know if TiVO has changed that since.

Guest PWIT

I have Verizon for my internet service and also for my VoIP (Verizon's VoIP here is called VoiceWing). I have my VoIP phone set to forward and ring to my cell phone concurrently. So if I am not at home, I can still answer my home phone via my cell phone. For the VoIP phone, I can also block calls from certain numbers.

I am really considering changing to the iPhone when the new model comes out. If I do, I may consider eliminating my home VoIP phone.

Guest ryan2552

>I am really considering changing to the iPhone when the new

>model comes out. If I do, I may consider eliminating my home

>VoIP phone.

PWIT I have VZW as my mobile provider but my contract ends next month. I too am anxiously waiting for the release of the new iphone. The date I keep seeing is June 9th. If it meets my expectations I'll probably say goodbye to VZW mobile.

VZW does have a new touchscreen Blackberry headed our way in September. Its called the Thunder. It really looks impressive so that might be the only thing that will slow down my potential switch.

>Then I use my cell phone or SKYPE for long distance calling.

I'm a big fan of SKYPE. Have used it extensively to keep in touch with a relative in Europe. Since he doesn't usually have Internet access, I use SKYPE to call his land line. Great quality and prices are cheaper than a calling card.

Speaking of forwarding, I intentionally DON'T forward calls. There are times I don't *want* to be available! ;-)

But Vonage lets you have voicemails forwarded to your email as a .wav file. When I'm on the road I still get messages (when I bother to check) without having to call whatever service has 'em.

I, too, have Vonage. I don't have many problems with them. Their Call Center is much better now than before. I was only on hold for less than 10 minutes this afternoon. I like one of their features called simul-ring. When I get a call at home it will also ring on my cell phone. Since its a work cell phone, I'm not giving out any number but my home phone.

I've had Vonage for almost five years. I travel to my Mother's house several times a year. One advantage of Vonage is the ability to take the router with me and have my phone phone number wherever I am.

During the last five years there have been good and bad times with Vonage. Overall, I'm satisfied with the level of service. I'm glad to see a recent post stating Vonage customer call service is getting better.

In addition to other features mentioned, I have Vonage ring on my phone phone and cell phone simultaneously. My cell phone rings when I'm away from home and I can decide whether or not to accept the call.

DBNYC

• 1 month later...
Guest ryan2552

A follow up to my original post. Shortly after all the great responses to my question I signed up for Vonage. I'm pleased that I did.

The fee is actually saving me money ($30 x mo.), the setup took about 5 minutes and call quality is very good. I also received two months free at sign up.

I would recommend Vonage to anyone who has been hesitant, like I was, to give it a try.

Archived