your thoughts on a recent exhange:

Samfoslom
This topic is 1279 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Your thoughts requested on this exchange:

So I'm looking on Rentmen this week, and here's this new guy that says he's coming to my town. Nice Pics! I exchange text/ RM emails (he shows me private pics, which are face pics, he's handsome). I like what i am seeing and reading-- he quotes rate of 300/hr. --high end for my area, And he a little tentative on whether he can make the trip to a new town worth it for him, which i completely understand. Again, pics look good, exchange is not flaky. There's no info on him here ( i searched). So i say okay, and we agree on Fri (tonight, as i write this), just for an hour, and I say 8 or 9 ish, i'm flexible.

Mid-afternoon -- I text to confirm; we exchange texts. He confirms that, yes he is coming to town, on his way as we are texting, we agree on 9.

7ish ---i get a text....

Him--i made a mistake, misquoted you my rate. i usually charge 400/hr and the voice text to you came out 3. just realized it.

Me--we that's over my budget, thanks anyway.

Him -- well, i made the mistake, i will man up and go ahead with 3.

In meantime, i look on Rentmen, and now there are a couple of reviews, but last one 10/3 says reviewer had a good time but pics were "a little outdated."

Given the last min upcharge request and this comment, i say thanks but no thanks, even after he's said, "you seem cool as hell, and it was my mistake....."

As i sit here, a little horned, i wonder... what would you have done??

My guess is that he was trying to swindle you out of $100 thinking you'd rather agree to that last-minute change than cancel the appointment. If he had actually given you the wrong rate by mistake (and I'm not sure how voice-to-text turns four hundred into three hundred), then he could have

"manned" up about it without putting you in an awkward spot less than two hours before you were supposed to meet up. I would have cancelled too.

Your thoughts requested on this exchange:

So I'm looking on Rentmen this week, and here's this new guy that says he's coming to my town. Nice Pics! I exchange text/ RM emails (he shows me private pics, which are face pics, he's handsome). I like what i am seeing and reading-- he quotes rate of 300/hr. --high end for my area, And he a little tentative on whether he can make the trip to a new town worth it for him, which i completely understand. Again, pics look good, exchange is not flaky. There's no info on him here ( i searched). So i say okay, and we agree on Fri (tonight, as i write this), just for an hour, and I say 8 or 9 ish, i'm flexible.

Mid-afternoon -- I text to confirm; we exchange texts. He confirms that, yes he is coming to town, on his way as we are texting, we agree on 9.

7ish ---i get a text....

Him--i made a mistake, misquoted you my rate. i usually charge 400/hr and the voice text to you came out 3. just realized it.

Me--we that's over my budget, thanks anyway.

Him -- well, i made the mistake, i will man up and go ahead with 3.

In meantime, i look on Rentmen, and now there are a couple of reviews, but last one 10/3 says reviewer had a good time but pics were "a little outdated."

Given the last min upcharge request and this comment, i say thanks but no thanks, even after he's said, "you seem cool as hell, and it was my mistake....."

As i sit here, a little horned, i wonder... what would you have done??

I would have cancelled too. I've been in situations where red flags get raised after I make the appointment, usually as consequence of something the service provider says or does. When a red flag gets raised a little voice inside my big head tells suggests that I reconsider what my little head wants me to do.