Road Rage - Can the Police really do anything?

twinkboylover28

This topic is 5255 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mothers day is Sunday so I took my mom for a walk at our state park. She is 65 and a senior citizen. On the way back home my elderly mother "blew the horn" at a car in front of us because he wasnt following the right-of-way "rules of the road" and was signaling people to empty out of the parking lot instead of taking the "right of way" to complete the left turn.

The guy gave us the finger and came marching over with his girlfriend/wife.

The girl yelled "some people are really rude."

I, the passenger, responded "well we all neeed to follow the rules of the road!!" and had a smile on my face.

The guy erupted and went balistic saying he was going to "kick my a$$" (and he really was going to fight me!!) just because my mom blew the horn at him and i said we all need to follow the rules of the road..

I'm 34, 6'4, 350 pounds, size 16 shoes and the guy was like 34, 5'8 and 170 lbs.

I walked away saying "lets just drop it" ..and he responded "what if i dont want to drop it" and followed me saying he wanted to "kick my a$$"

He threatened to assault me.

Can the police really do anything or does the guy actually have to punch me?

Did I do the right thing by walking away? I kind of feel like a coward, but I 've never been in a fight and it's not worth it for something so stupid.

Did I have the right to shoot him if I felt threatened?

I am sure the attorneys among us will tell you that verbal is part of assault and battery is the physical act. But, where are your witnesses. Both of you have friends or relatives only as witnesses.

Walking away whole is always a good thing for the body but not necessarily for the soul. Only you can decide if a fight might be worthwhile.

However, he could pull a knife or a gun. Do you have a carry permit? If not, you should not have a gun. If you do have a permit, you should have gotten instruction on when and how to lawfully use your weapon. This means in defense of your life or the life of another. Not property or pets. Again, only you can decide if you felt as though your life was being threatened. Afterwards, the police and maybe the courts would have to agree. Or, not.

Sorry you had that encounter. Do your best to forget about it and move on.

If you think this might be a regular happening, investigate karate or acquiring a gun permit. Both will likely entail at least some suitable training about when and how to use force.

Best regards,

KMEM

>Mothers day is Sunday so I took my mom for a walk at our

>state park. She is 65 and a senior citizen. On the way back

>home my elderly mother "blew the horn" at a car in

>front of us because he wasnt following the right-of-way

>"rules of the road" and was signaling people to

>empty out of the parking lot instead of taking the "right

>of way" to complete the left turn.

>

>The guy gave us the finger and came marching over with his

>girlfriend/wife.

>

>The girl yelled "some people are really rude."

>

>I, the passenger, responded "well we all neeed to follow

>the rules of the road!!" and had a smile on my face.

>

>The guy erupted and went balistic saying he was going to

>"kick my a$$" (and he really was going to fight

>me!!) just because my mom blew the horn at him and i said we

>all need to follow the rules of the road..

>

>I'm 34, 6'4, 350 pounds, size 16 shoes and the guy was like

>34, 5'8 and 170 lbs.

>

>I walked away saying "lets just drop it" ..and he

>responded "what if i dont want to drop it" and

>followed me saying he wanted to "kick my a$$"

>

>He threatened to assault me.

>

>Can the police really do anything or does the guy actually

>have to punch me?

>

>Did I do the right thing by walking away? I kind of feel like

>a coward, but I 've never been in a fight and it's not worth

>it for something so stupid.

>

>Did I have the right to shoot him if I felt threatened?

It seems you were behind a person not making a left turn and you were stuck waiting. In the northeast if you beep your horn you best be prepared to back it up. In this case running your car toward them as the assaultants came close causing them to dive to the ground as you screetched your tires and yelled profanities over their quiveing bodies seems most appropriate. Failing that, shooting them would be next.

Guest Wetnwildbear

You definitely should have stayed and stood your ground and let

him beat you with a tire iron till you had the sense that god gave

a dead frog.

<<<Did I do the right thing by walking away? I kind of feel like a coward, but I 've never been in a fight and it's not worth it for something so stupid.

Did I have the right to shoot him if I felt threatened?>>>

The **crickets** say **coward**!

<<<I'm 34, 6'4, 350 pounds, size 16 shoes and the guy was like 34, 5'8 and 170 lbs.>>>

And you run around with skeletal twinks?

http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95flml%26h2.jpg

Guest josephga

always do whats best for you. im sure you didnt want to get in a fight right there in front of your mother. I personally would have stomped his ass right there in front of his girl friend. but thats just my hot head. no one can judge you for doing what you felt best in the moment..

I understand your frustration with the guy giving up his (and your) right of way to the persons exiting the parking lot. But it is hard to know why he was doing that. Perhaps his car stalled so he waved the others through while he tried to restart his engine.

In some jurisdictions it is unlawful to use your horn except as a warning in an emergency. So you (or your mother) may also have not been following "the rules of the road". The point is that one cannot expect everyone to always follow the "rules". Life is complex and one cannot know all the factors at play.

In any case a horn when not used in an emergency is often perceived as rude. Imagine if you were walking and somebody blocked your way as they kindly held a door open for someone. Would you shout a monosyllabic grunt?

Sadly cars and horns don't allow for much subtlety in communication.

Next year just go for a walk instead of driving somewhere to walk.

It will be better for your mental and physical health.

Guest ncm2169

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!! }( }(

Damn, you know how to nail it, bro!! :+ :+

You just fired some nails into his butt that he'll be picking out until he downsizes. Ummm -- to clarify, I'm talking about his mouth. :*

I absolutely 110% did the right thing. I could have been 8 feet tall and 500lbs, or even a uniformed police officer with a gun, and the crazy loon would still have wanted to "kick my ass."

I have no regrets whatsoever, and if the same situation happened again I would handle it EXACTLY the same way. I'm glad I had the intelligence and self-control to do the educated, grown-up, and mature thing and simply WALK-AWAY like a man.

Anyone who goes nuts because a senior citizen honks their horn at them is simply insane. Period. End of story.

He likely was a hot head on drugs, and likely may have been harboring a weapon. I know in my heart I could have "kicked his ass;" however, it simply wasnt worth it.

I find it utterly amusing that the classic "flaming libs" from the "politics" forum chose to capitalizre on this situation (thread) simply because they disagree with me politcially. Shows you EXACTLY what type of person THEY are as well. I'm certain if I were of the same political ideology the rhetoric would have bene sympathetic. Simply breathtaking how polics blindly control ALL aspects of certain peoples lives. It reflects extremely poor on THEM and actually makes my point about their character. Congratulations!

The bottom line is, I have all my teeth, no black-eyes or broekn bones, and aftr watching Joel Osteen this morning and speakiong with our local Police department I was reassured 110% that I did exactly the right thing. I couldnt have handled the situation any better.

I'm proud of myself and my mother for honking her horn. I'm not going to live my life out of fear someone might want to fight because we blow the horn at them for their obvious wrongdoing.

They are guilty of assault for threatening me and a traffic ticket as well.

Thanks to KMEM, Purplekow, and Josephga for your eloquent and sincere responses as well.

God bless.