Recommendation for a doc in SF

wbtravis
This topic is 1336 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There is an organization called "Bay Area Physicians For Human Rights". They give a general contact email stop, and a phone number which is a message machine but the web site says it is only checked twice a week. I don't know if they offer referrals or not, but the

email contact address is contact@baphr.org .

Thank you so much! Will def reach out to them:)

There are providers listed online at the Gay & Lesbian Medical Association http://www.glma.org/ and the LGBT Center https://www.sfcenter.org/resources/ and others, as @honcho has mentioned above. My sense is, though, these online listing are kind of old school, most professionals in and adjacent to the LGBT community don't bother with them.

If I were doing the search, I would start with the PCPs available through my plan, narrow it down to a geographic area convenient to me, and then check out the individual candidates online. Almost everybody has some kind of online bio these days, and LGBT friendly physicians usually indicate as much on their bios. LGBT Medicine, HIV Management, Trans Medicine, etc. are all good indicators that the physician treats a number of LGBT patients. My own physician in NYC says he is a "proud member of the LGBT community" in his bio. You can even get a little stalkerish and google the candidate's name, which often brings up wedding announcements, social activities, etc. etc.

I know what you're really looking for is a direct, personal recommendation, and hopefully someone here will be able to respond in that way. Meanwhile I hope the above is helpful.

You might be able to search by this criteria on your insurer's website. If not, the above suggestions should steer you in the right way.

I have Kaiser so I cannot provide a personal recommendation to someone outside the Kaiser system, even though I very much appreciate my primary care provider.

I think the biggest problem is finding a provider who is taking new patients whom you like.

There are providers listed online at the Gay & Lesbian Medical Association http://www.glma.org/ and the LGBT Center https://www.sfcenter.org/resources/ and others, as @honcho has mentioned above. My sense is, though, these online listing are kind of old school, most professionals in and adjacent to the LGBT community don't bother with them.

If I were doing the search, I would start with the PCPs available through my plan, narrow it down to a geographic area convenient to me, and then check out the individual candidates online. Almost everybody has some kind of online bio these days, and LGBT friendly physicians usually indicate as much on their bios. LGBT Medicine, HIV Management, Trans Medicine, etc. are all good indicators that the physician treats a number of LGBT patients. My own physician in NYC says he is a "proud member of the LGBT community" in his bio. You can even get a little stalkerish and google the candidate's name, which often brings up wedding announcements, social activities, etc. etc.

I know what you're really looking for is a direct, personal recommendation, and hopefully someone here will be able to respond in that way. Meanwhile I hope the above is helpful.

Thank you so much! Will try researching this way. Really appreciate the suggestion.

I use One Medical and have been very happy with them. I have my complaints but they have been better than other providers I have had. Prior to the ACA I went to Mark Higgins and was extremely happy with him. Doctors have a Code if Ethnics and cannot by law share any info.

I use One Medical and have been very happy with them. I have my complaints but they have been better than other providers I have had. Prior to the ACA I went to Mark Higgins and was extremely happy with him. Doctors have a Code if Ethnics and cannot by law share any info.

Thank you. Will look into him.