Dave Chappelle on Netflix

Lucky

Since I have little to no experience watching Dave Chappelle, I took in one of his Netflix shows. The title is The Age of Spin.

Since I rarely enjoy comedy on film or video- I need to be there live- I wasn't hopeful. But, after about 15 minutes in, I was laughing out loud in my living room! Most shocking about that is that it was some of his gay stuff that had me giggling.

It was fun to look at the crowd and see these guys sit with very sour faces when everyone else was laughing.

His political stuff is pointed and often harsh, but I think I agree with him much more than not.

I'd be interested to know what you think, but only if you see the show.

• 1 year later...
Guest MikeThomas

Did you watch his latest show.... Closer?  Everyone is up in arms.  I thought it was brilliant.  Will need to catch up and watch his other shows.

I agree that Closer was brilliant, @MikeThomas. Dave Chappelle is not homophobic or transphobic. He may have questions about things he doesn't understand, but I don't think he is a mean person. At the end of the show he told a long story about a trans woman who opened his act in San Francisco. It was very touching.

Chappelle says that empathy is bisexual in that it has to go both ways. And he makes a great point about the gay community's treatment of black people. We have nothing to brag about on gay black rights and representation in our own community.

Thanks, Dave, for the laughs and the tears.

Closer, on Netflix now.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, latbear4blk said:

I just saw the show and loved it. I am an old time fan, but this one was his most brilliant performance, and his intentionality to be controversial is right on target and quite explicit from the very beginning. 

I am a Chappelle fan too.  But there are some who think that he is crossing the line.  This article made a good case for why that is the case.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/2021/10/15/dave-chappelle-netflix-the-closer-set-dangerous-precedent/8450189002/

"There's a long history of homophobia and acceptance of racism in the Black community, be it in our churches and in our satire. What we're ultimately doing is under the guise of humor, making it seem like it's OK or celebrated or worse, that it's funny. And there's nothing funny about it." 

And with a platform as large as his, Chappelle's "words carry weight," Holt adds. "He's at a point now where his words become information. He can't do the same stuff he did 20 years ago."

I totally get that, whatever you say, somebody is going to get offended.  But it may be time for Dave to put on his big boy pants, stop hitting the same old sore spots and look for something fresh.

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, FrankR said:

I totally get that, whatever you say, somebody is going to get offended.  But it may be time for Dave to put on his big boy pants, stop hitting the same old sore spots and look for something fresh.

Maybe you are asking too much from him? Maybe beyond his geniality, he found the boundaries for his creativity? Certainly, he stuck me as honest and authentic whether or not I agree with his stands. I don't, but I also disagree with the reactions.

Bottom line, it is comedy. It is not an ethics treaty or a political manifesto, it is quite bright comedy. I disagree with Oliver and Ryan, when they assess Chapelle's speech as thought it was something more than a stand up comedy act. Surely, it is a provocation and they fell for it. Ultimately, I disagree with them when they say that there is nothing funny about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Duke Ellington School of the Arts in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., has canceled a planned fundraiser with alumnus Dave Chappelle after students threatened a walkout. 

The fundraiser and dedication for The Dave Chappelle Theatre was set to take place on Nov. 23.

According to a report from the Politico Playbook, two students got into a heated debate with staff after being told they were expected to host an exhibition on the day of the event. Chappelle was expected to attend. 

The students said that they were uncomfortable supporting Chappelle because many of their peers identify as LGBTQ+. 

In the past, Chappelle has regularly visited the school, has donated $100,000 to his alma mater, gifted it one of his Emmy awards, delivered a commencement address in 2015, and held a master class for Ellington students. 

However, Chappelle’s most recent controversy surrounding statements that he has made about transgender people, particularly in his most recent Netflix special, The Closer, and statements that he has continued to make about the community has incensed the students at the famed arts school. 

According to a report from The Washington Post, Chappelle was in D.C. just hours before The Closer was released on Netflix, and in a pop-up screening of the special, he raised money for the school. 

“I’m happy that you’re interested in the special,” Chappelle said in his speech to donors at the Angelika Pop-Up theater at Union Market, per the report. “I’m happier that you’re interested in Ellington.”

Chappelle told the audience that having the school name a theater after him was “the most significant honor” of his life.

He noted that “I used to skip school. I would hide in there when I was skipping class. Who would have thought that that theater would one day be named after me?” Chappelle said. “But I understand it because sometimes when you love things, they love you back. And I loved that school.”

The Post noted that Chappelle plans to raise nearly $1.5 million to support teacher salaries at the school. “The Ellington School saved my life,” Chappelle said.

Ellington’s principal, Sandi Logan, confirmed Chappelle’s support: “Every time we ask him to do something, he’s always done it.” 

The comedian has claimed in recent weeks that he has been “canceled,” due to his remarks about transgender people in The Closer, where he likened being transgender to wearing blackface. 

Chappelle has not yet issued a response to the cancellation of the event. 

The Duke Ellington School of the Arts was founded over 40 years ago, and according to its website is an exemplary school that teaches a full academic course as well as an arts major: Dance, Literary Media, and Communications, Museum Studies, Instrumental or Vocal Music, Theatre, Technical Design, and Production, or Visual Arts.

I'm curious if he now continues contributing, and if they go ahead with the fundraising and build the theater, but with a different name.  He obviously has great affinity for the school, but when you exercise your right to free speech, you have to know you're also setting yourself up for people's reactions to it.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

Guest MikeThomas
1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Duke Ellington School of the Arts in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C., has canceled a planned fundraiser with alumnus Dave Chappelle after students threatened a walkout. 

The fundraiser and dedication for The Dave Chappelle Theatre was set to take place on Nov. 23.

According to a report from the Politico Playbook, two students got into a heated debate with staff after being told they were expected to host an exhibition on the day of the event. Chappelle was expected to attend. 

The students said that they were uncomfortable supporting Chappelle because many of their peers identify as LGBTQ+. 

In the past, Chappelle has regularly visited the school, has donated $100,000 to his alma mater, gifted it one of his Emmy awards, delivered a commencement address in 2015, and held a master class for Ellington students. 

However, Chappelle’s most recent controversy surrounding statements that he has made about transgender people, particularly in his most recent Netflix special, The Closer, and statements that he has continued to make about the community has incensed the students at the famed arts school. 

According to a report from The Washington Post, Chappelle was in D.C. just hours before The Closer was released on Netflix, and in a pop-up screening of the special, he raised money for the school. 

“I’m happy that you’re interested in the special,” Chappelle said in his speech to donors at the Angelika Pop-Up theater at Union Market, per the report. “I’m happier that you’re interested in Ellington.”

Chappelle told the audience that having the school name a theater after him was “the most significant honor” of his life.

He noted that “I used to skip school. I would hide in there when I was skipping class. Who would have thought that that theater would one day be named after me?” Chappelle said. “But I understand it because sometimes when you love things, they love you back. And I loved that school.”

The Post noted that Chappelle plans to raise nearly $1.5 million to support teacher salaries at the school. “The Ellington School saved my life,” Chappelle said.

Ellington’s principal, Sandi Logan, confirmed Chappelle’s support: “Every time we ask him to do something, he’s always done it.” 

The comedian has claimed in recent weeks that he has been “canceled,” due to his remarks about transgender people in The Closer, where he likened being transgender to wearing blackface. 

The Duke Ellington School of the Arts was founded over 40 years ago, and according to its website is an exemplary school that teaches a full academic course as well as an arts major: Dance, Literary Media, and Communications, Museum Studies, Instrumental or Vocal Music, Theatre, Technical Design, and Production, or Visual Arts.

I'm curious if he now continues contributing, and if they go ahead with the fundraising and build the theater, but with a different name.  He obviously has great affinity for the school, but when you exercise your right to free speech, you have to know you're also setting yourself up for people's reactions to it.

Maybe the school and the kids will learn there could be a cost to their exercise of their right to free speech.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:13 AM, samhexum said:

So none of the other stuff Dave has said in his 20+ year career struck a nerve with them but this did. 

• 11 months later...

OPINION

Why Dave Chappelle’s ‘SNL’ monologue just wasn’t funny

By 

Dave Chappelle had the “SNL” audience — mostly — eating out of the palm of his hand Saturday night with his opening monologue.

But in a bid to skewer our preconceptions on anti-Semitism, all he did was feed into the most common, most boring, ill-educated tropes and give them a platform on network TV. Watching it, I did a Tina Fey-style eye roll.

Yes, Dave, everyone knows the Jews run Hollywood, oh ha bloody ha. Let me just reach for my Depends, you made me laugh so hard.

Yes, Dave, everyone knows the Jews take off multiple holidays that you can’t even pronounce — “sha-na-na,” anyone?

Yes, Dave, everyone knows the Jews run the media and, let’s face it, the entire economy. While we’re at it, I’ll let you in on a secret: We run the White House, too! And let me just introduce you to my cousin, Mr. Rothschild.

Chappelle went on to say: “I’ve been to Hollywood and — no one get mad at me — I’m just telling you what I saw … It’s a lot of Jews. Like a lot.” 

Amid slight titters from the crowd, he added: “But that doesn’t mean anything! You know what I mean? Because there are a lot of black people in Ferguson, Missouri, it doesn’t mean we run the place.”

The most troubling part of his monologue came when he brought up Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving: “Kanye got in so much trouble that Kyrie got in trouble. This is where I draw the line. I know the Jewish people have been through terrible things all over the world, but you can’t blame that on black Americans.” 

The line was met with crickets, until a single audience member whooped.

“Thanks, the one person that said ‘woo,’” Chappelle said.

Can we all just remember that Irving was not blasted because he’s a black American? He was called out because he posted a link to an anti-Semitic film. For which he apologized somewhat late in the game.

And this is where we get to the point — artfully and often raised by British writer David Baddiel in his book “Jews Don’t Count.”

Because people think we have power, money and entitlement, it’s fine to mock “The Jews,” even under the guise of making fun of the tropes of anti-Semitism. But there are just 7.6 million Jews in America — out of a total population of 330 million — and we can’t all have millions in the bank or monopolize an entire industry.

Still, Chappelle said, the “delusion that Jews run show business” is “not a crazy thing to think,” but “it’s a crazy thing to say out loud.”

He also said of Kanye, “It’s a big deal, he had broken the show business rules. You know, the rules of perception. If they’re black, then it’s a gang. If they’re Italian, it’s a mob. If they’re Jewish, it’s a coincidence and you should never speak about it.”

Chappelle has made millions from his cutting barbs on being black, he’s renowned for being one of our sharpest comics. Following Saturday night’s show, helmed by longtime executive producer Lorne Michaels — who is Jewish — Chappelle’s fans were quick to praise him for his biting commentary.

But it takes one cursory Google search to find the recent uptick in anti-Semitic attacks across the world, and jokes like Chappelle’s only help fuel the fire.

Yes, comedy is supposed to be provocative. And this is by no means a call to banish Chappelle into the hinterlands of social media purgatory. Please spare us the cancellation police.

All I’m saying is, as a Jew, I can safely tell you, Dave — you just weren’t funny. 

https://nypost.com/2022/11/14/why-dave-chappelles-snl-monologue-just-wasnt-funny/

As a fat jew, I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Jews and fat people are about the only two groups you're allowed to deride or make fun of anymore.

Chappelle switched ‘SNL’ monologue between rehearsal and live show

Chappelle did a “fake” “Saturday Night Live” monologue during the show’s dress rehearsal, sources said, and then switched his material for the live show.

A source told Page Six: “Dave does a fake monologue during the dress rehearsal, because he doesn’t want [‘SNL’ creator] Lorne Michaels, or anyone else, to know what his real monologue is.”

The source added that Chappelle made a joke during the dress rehearsal about a writer who refused to work with him this week on the show.

We previously reported that some staff writers were so furious that the comedy superstar — who’s made transphobic and homophobic jokes in his past comedy shows — was chosen to host that they were sitting out the episode.

Jewish activist Rudy Rochman called the Chappelle monologue “a meticulous & calculated move to desensitize the population from anti-Semitism.” Time Out New York theater editor Adam Feldman argued, “That Dave Chappelle SNL monologue probably did more to normalize anti-Semitism than anything Kanye said.”

Others defended the comic.  Loni Love gave Chappelle support by tweeting, “The Chappelle monologue on [‘SNL’] tonight was the classic stand up he is known for… current events, timely and funny.”   @JoeMendoza, I hope you're as disappointed as I am.

https://pagesix.com/2022/11/14/dave-chappelle-switched-snl-monologue-from-rehearsal-to-show/

So he's a sneak and a coward, as well as a bigot.  Very nice!

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

I don't heavy topics like this, that's why I have long since avoided the Political Issues forum.

That being said... thanks for dragging my name into this @samhexum 😏😉 

Personally, I am not a fan of Dave Chappelle. Never have been.

When I watched the entire SNL monologue, his entire section about Jews was just cringe. That was uncomfortable - for me. The bit about Trump and how Dave would steal things but 'not work' I thought was the only funny thing on that 15 minute monologue, but then again, that's just me.

When I saw Loni Love's post on instagram, she just mentioned, 'Classic Chappelle last night on SNL,' which tbh, could be taken either positively or negatively, especially when she made this commentary about Chappelle 'punching down' before on The Real:

However, you are right @samhexum - I was disappointed when Loni Love appeared to have doubled down on applauding Dave Chappelle's comedy on Twitter. It appears as though she has now contradicted herself. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...