The scene in Fort Lauderdale Friday

Jake
This topic is 1102 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Cruised around the current and former hot spots while passing through Fort Lauderdale Friday night. It was so strange being in town and not hitting the ATM... repeatedly.

I first passed by the old Johnny's on Broward. I was curious to see what had become of my favorite little dive. If those walls could talk, I'd be ruined. I was a little surprised to see that nothing had changed. Nobody's taken over the property. It's still empty. The only real difference since the last time I saw it was that some graffiti had been spray painted on the building.

Next I headed toward LeBoy. As much as I've criticized LB, I do miss it. Sean sucked most of the life out of the place. He imitated the pricing structure of the clubs that failed and that led to far fewer visits from me over the past few years. I used to visit 3 or 4 times a year. I can't even remember the last time I walked in that door. It's been at least a year or maybe even two now. I'm eager to see if the new owners have brought some of the fun back but it was closed... just the liquor store was open, but I didn't see anyone inside.

I was surprised when I rolled up on Boardwalk to find the parking lot packed. I wondered if they had some kind of special loophole that was letting them operate. Turns out it was just all restaurant business. Didn't look to be an empty table. The same for the little bars/restaurants in Wilton Manors. Johnson's was closed, but the other spots in that plaza were packed. Parking was just as difficult to find as it would be on any normal Friday night pre-virus.

Hopefully these spots will be able to survive this. I haven't had a good time at Boardwalk in years and LeBoy never had the fun of those wild nights I had at Johnny's. But still I'd have loved to go in.

Cruised around the current and former hot spots while passing through Fort Lauderdale Friday night. It was so strange being in town and not hitting the ATM... repeatedly.

I first passed by the old Johnny's on Broward. I was curious to see what had become of my favorite little dive. If those walls could talk, I'd be ruined. I was a little surprised to see that nothing had changed. Nobody's taken over the property. It's still empty. The only real difference since the last time I saw it was that some graffiti had been spray painted on the building.

Next I headed toward LeBoy. As much as I've criticized LB, I do miss it. Sean sucked most of the life out of the place. He imitated the pricing structure of the clubs that failed and that led to far fewer visits from me over the past few years. I used to visit 3 or 4 times a year. I can't even remember the last time I walked in that door. It's been at least a year or maybe even two now. I'm eager to see if the new owners have brought some of the fun back but it was closed... just the liquor store was open, but I didn't see anyone inside.

I was surprised when I rolled up on Boardwalk to find the parking lot packed. I wondered if they had some kind of special loophole that was letting them operate. Turns out it was just all restaurant business. Didn't look to be an empty table. The same for the little bars/restaurants in Wilton Manors. Johnson's was closed, but the other spots in that plaza were packed. Parking was just as difficult to find as it would be on any normal Friday night pre-virus.

Hopefully these spots will be able to survive this. I haven't had a good time at Boardwalk in years and LeBoy never had the fun of those wild nights I had at Johnny's. But still I'd have loved to go in.

Thanks for the informative report! I still plan to spend my winter in Ft. Lauderdale, and hope some bars are open by then. I hope you give LeBoy another chance. From what I see on FB, the new owners are renovating the inside quite a bit. I just hope the get a chance to open before they go bankrupt.

A trip down memory lane for me with your report. My memories stretch back much further to the turn of the century lol. But I was a frequent visitor at Johnny’s during the winter season. Had some great times with the hustlers there. I only went to the Boardwalk a few times but that was in their old location. I believed they moved after I gave up my house in Miami. Of course there were many other spots I frequented, the Black Eagle being my favourite in FTL. But Inalso enjoyed going with friends to dine at Legends and some other spots in Wilton Maors.

• 8 months later...

Any updates on the current scene? Traveling in June.

Malik Degaty from Montreal is at Johnsons for a month and posted some vids from the locker room on IG and the guys are having trouble finding bags for all their tips, so it's crowded and busy. I was there a month ago for a weekend but it was still spring break which is different. Hotels will be easy enough in June but rental cars are still very very high. I Ubered and stayed at the Riverside downtown.

Los Olas Blvd is awesome. I actually have an office a few blocks from the hotel so I ended up staying there quite a bit pre-COVID.

People always think I'm weird for staying downtown but the Riverside is a very very nice big luxury hotel in a beautiful historic downtown area with plenty of nice restaurants and cafes and a short hop to the beach east or the bars north.

People always think I'm weird for staying downtown but the Riverside is a very very nice big luxury hotel in a beautiful historic downtown area with plenty of nice restaurants and cafes and a short hop to the beach east or the bars north.

It’s a really nice area. I enjoy it a lot. Super convenient to Uber or walk around.

If I’m on a cost conscious trip, I’ll stay in Dania Beach right next to FLL. There are several Marriott properties that are generally super cheap. My trip in January was 65 a night. Even per-COVID I generally was under 100 whenever I went.

It’s a really nice area. I enjoy it a lot. Super convenient to Uber or walk around.

If I’m on a cost conscious trip, I’ll stay in Dania Beach right next to FLL. There are several Marriott properties that are generally super cheap. My trip in January was 65 a night. Even per-COVID I generally was under 100 whenever I went.

did you have a car?

If I'm in Dania Beach, I'll typically grab a car. No parking and it gave me the ability to hit other locations outside of FLL easily such as Adventura, Haulover Beach (nude beach), or to just head down south to MIA. Dania Beach hotels are literally off of I-95 (Griffin Road or Stirling Road). Free parking, easy access to the cruise terminal, lots of food options nearby. Firebirds is a decent mid-tier restaurant that is not crazy expensive with good food and friendly people.

Even if you did not have a car, it's literally a 10 minute Uber ride to Wilton Manor.

Los Olas Blvd is awesome. I actually have an office a few blocks from the hotel so I ended up staying there quite a bit pre-COVID.

I agree, but while I was down there this winter I read in the papers that the city wants to rip out all the trees in the middle of the Blvd. in order to widen the street. To me, the trees are what makes it beautiful.

+1

and all the sidewalk cafes would be less comfortable on a wider street. it doesn't hurt Los Olas to slow down those couple blocks.

has anyone tried out the new Hyatt Centric in the highrise down the street from the Riverside Hotel? reviews are mixed and it's around $168 + $20 resort fee = parking while the Riverside is usually $125. i think there's another luxury hotel nearby too.

rip out this tree? the tree awning there is what makes that block of Los Olas so nice.

14160408673_bf1c2ea138_b.jpg

Edited by tassojunior