Jump to content

I am, at the moment, sick sick sick but not seriously ill.


purplekow
 Share

This topic is 5296 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Recommended Posts

You know the kind of sick that makes everything hurt, your body feel warm and cold at the same time. A cough that is hacking and hurts the chest and throat. Wheezing and coughing and generally misery. I am being treated for this but still feel terrible. I have not allowed myself to take a day off from work as I would cost my staff of 10 a day of work and the business cannot afford a free day beyond the sick days they are given. Due to unfornuate planning I am working about 50 days in a row, averaging 12 hours a day scheduled and then other stuff.

The point? I realize that with all the people I know, there is no one I can call for this. Someone to make soup, get a bad movie, change the sweaty sheets and generally listen to me bitch about what is certain to be a minor bump on the road to my ultimate demise. There are just not that many people I want to see when I feel like this and none of them are local. It would be a major inconvenience for them to get someone I could abide to come and help out.

Anyone know of a service that will help someone who is sick but wants to go to work. Any escorts out there into this kind of medical?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest zipperzone

>I have not allowed myself to take a day off

>from work as I would cost my staff of 10 a day of work and the

>business cannot afford a free day beyond the sick days they

>are given.

 

You obviously have not given this the amount of thought that it's due!

 

So your sick - sorry to hear that, it sounds like the flu that is going around right now (isn't there always one "going around"?)

 

But to be a hero or a martyr and go to work regardless is thoughtless, selfish and just plain stupid. You are endangering the health of you 10 employees, each and every one of whom could catch whatever bug you have. They would then take some days off from their sick leave (as well they should) and you could be worse off job wise than you are now.

 

We all get sick from time to time and that's never going to change. Stay home until you're no longer contagious. "Do the right thing".... as Dr Laura would say. Life WILL go on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>>I have not allowed myself to take a day off

>>from work as I would cost my staff of 10 a day of work and

>the

>>business cannot afford a free day beyond the sick days

>they

>>are given.

>

>You obviously have not given this the amount of thought that

>it's due!

>

>So your sick - sorry to hear that, it sounds like the flu that

>is going around right now (isn't there always one "going

>around"?)

>

>But to be a hero or a martyr and go to work regardless is

>thoughtless, selfish and just plain stupid. You are

>endangering the health of you 10 employees, each and every one

>of whom could catch whatever bug you have.

 

Zipper thanks for the words of encouragement. Just to reiterate. I mentioned that I am being treated for this (not the flu) and have discussed my actions with my doctor. You assume I have direct personal contact with each of my 10 employees and am endangering them. I said nothing of the kind as far as being in contact with them, only that if I am not there I will need to close down the office. And finally the question that I did ask, is there a service to turn to when friends and family are not around to help you through a minor illness. You offer no help there.

We all do things that are thoughtless, selfish and stupid, I think your answer probably hits one of the three.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest zipperzone

>Zipper thanks for the words of encouragement.

 

Hey, any time - just call on me, as the song goes.

 

>Just to

>reiterate. I mentioned that I am being treated for this (not

>the flu) and have discussed my actions with my doctor.

 

You never mentioned that it WASN'T the flu - sure sounds like it but then again I'm not a doctor. And you didn't mention that you discussed your actions with your doctor, you just mentioned you were being treated for it - not quite the same thing.

 

>You

>assume I have direct personal contact with each of my 10

>employees and am endangering them. I said nothing of the kind

>as far as being in contact with them, only that if I am not

>there I will need to close down the office.

 

Unless you travel to work in a bubble and work out of a glass enclosed booth, you've got to come in contact with SOME people, most of whom will probably not enjoy you hacking all over them.

 

>And finally the

>question that I did ask, is there a service to turn to when

>friends and family are not around to help you through a minor

>illness. You offer no help there.

 

No - guess I didn't.

 

>We all do things that are thoughtless, selfish and stupid, I

>think your answer probably hits one of the three.

 

Who knows, maybe it hits on all three but keep in mind some people will say anything to justify their actions. Ask yourself just one question. How would you feel if you came into contact with a person exhibiting the symptons you have? Not too thrilled, I'd bet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a business owner I understand your dilemma, I've been there and done that.

The Visiting Nurse Service of New York has a second agency (can't remember the name) that offers light housekeeping/shopping and medical help. Must be something similar in your area, it probably works mostly with seniors.

 

Surprised your doctor doesn't have a recommendation.

 

And when you're feeling all better and sunny again you've got to train an employee to take over in case of an emergency. Your business is at risk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

>The point? I realize that with all the people I know, there is no one I can call for this.

 

It's a bitch. We all want to call Mommy. (Oh, admit it already!)

 

I lost my Mom in February, and got that damn flu in March. I called the boss (who has also become a really great friend) to say I wouldn't be in.

 

Later that day, Mrs. Boss called to check up on me. I thought she mostly wanted to know if she needed to call 911.

 

But at the end of the call she said "look on your front porch". I did, and saw her car leaving the parking lot. She'd called me from her car after leaving a Coleman cooler with chicken soup and a couple of dinner plates.

 

My point? Your friends are out there if you'll let them in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest CURIOUS35

>Anyone know of a service that will help someone who is sick

>but wants to go to work.

 

Are you from Chicago?

 

If you are, send me an e-mail and I will try to do do most of the things you need, as a friend.

 

If you are not.. . May I suggest this:

 

Advertise in CL for a Man/Girl Friday and I am sure there will be someone who will fit the bill. A friend from New York did just that and found his ideal companion after that.

 

More power and I hope you recover soon.:)

 

P.S.

 

I replied not to elicit bitchiness or any unsavory comment guys; I replied in earnest because this "friend" need someone; and I am free to do so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...