Boys in The Band on Netflix on September 30

This topic is 1324 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I watched the original a couple of years ago and then again last week in anticipation of the Netflix remake (which I watched a few days ago). I thought it was OK. I recognized that they did not deviate much at all from the original script. The dialogue was very nearly identical.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of a streaming service running the original Boys in the Band?

There’s a site I use, but I never use my laptop for it lest it gets a virus; I just use my phone. You’ll have to contend with a few pop-ups. Feel free to PM me if you want it.

I saw this newer version performed live in New York. Matt Bomer was in his underwear when he was alone with Jim Parsons. But not in the movie. The scenes of New York made me sad because so much of my New York experience is gone. I wonder if I will have any newer experiences.

But Jim Parsons played his role well, totally obnoxious. I wonder if he stayed in character during off-screen moments. I'd of slapped him!

Robin DeJesus was brilliant on stage and in the movie. And $20 for an overnight? Wow.

I saw this newer version performed live in New York. Matt Bomer was in his underwear when he was alone with Jim Parsons. But not in the movie. The scenes of New York made me sad because so much of my New York experience is gone. I wonder if I will have any newer experiences.

But Jim Parsons played his role well, totally obnoxious. I wonder if he stayed in character during off-screen moments. I'd of slapped him!

Robin DeJesus was brilliant on stage and in the movie. And $20 for an overnight? Wow.

I saw the play too in New York and I was sitting in the 2nd row. For some reason, i thought Bomer was naked in the shower scene onstage as I remarked to my friend who got the tickets how lucky we were to be up close and personal with him :)

Friends and I have been discussing the movie and each of us has a different interpretation or understanding of the meaning of the ending scene where we see Michael running down the street. I am interesting in hearing what you took away from that scene.

The reviewer in the Washington Post says this:

Living in the closet will turn you into a kind of emotional hunchback, the film seems to argue.

In 2020, there is, sadly, nothing anachronistic about that truth. In the film’s final image, Mantello shows Michael running down a street after the rain, away from the camera — and, as it were, toward a future that holds both promise and, overlaid with the film’s pall of pessimism, the long shadow of persecution.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/movies/the-boys-in-the-band-movie-review/2020/09/28/a452902e-0012-11eb-9ceb-061d646d9c67_story.html