Grindr Scams: Lonely Soldier & Moving to Hangouts

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 1423 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi.

I may have asked these question before. I just don't remember asking or the answers.

I've come across at least two scams on Grindr. One is the "lonely soldier" and the other is "let's move to hangouts."

How do these scams work?

With the lonely soldier scam they usually start with some version of "I live in [insert US city] but I'm deployed army serving in [whereever]. I'm looking for a long term relationship. If you met the man of your dreams could you love him totally?" I just block them. I assume the goal is to get money out of me but since I don't stick around to find out, how do they do it?

With the let's move to hangouts, well, that's it. They want to move the chat to hanggouts (or maybe some other app). The first time I sent the guy a message on hanggouts and never heard back. After that I just block whomever wants to move to hanggouts. Are they trying to get money out of me or do they get some payment for raising chats on hanggouts?

All of this is mysterious to me.

When I was visiting Mexico my Gr profile was in Spanish but I indicated being from where English is spoken. A few scamppenings reached out in English, invitation to presumably orgiastic events that came with an admission fee. I just assumed it was bogus, would require prepaid or release of account info, and did not take it further.

Hangouts is a great messaging service where you can create phone numbers with just an email. They've most likely used a disposable one though. Plus, like most VOIP numbers I look at them as dubious at best. Most fraudsters use them these days.

I keep getting these calls from India that I owe the IRS. Fortunately, I am inheriting a large sum of money from a relative I never knew that I had in Nigeria. ? ?

Grindr is full of those“ looking For a LTR” bots. I wish they could filter them out. So annoying. Always the same rhetoric. Do they think people won’t catch on?

They aren't going to filter these bots out ... because Grindr is very likely the source of them. I asked some younger friends why an app would do something like this, and they looked at me like I was in kindergarten, and replied "If they catch your interest, you stay on the app longer and give thm more clicks."

Hi.

I may have asked these question before. I just don't remember asking or the answers.

I've come across at least two scams on Grindr. One is the "lonely soldier" and the other is "let's move to hangouts."

How do these scams work?

With the lonely soldier scam they usually start with some version of "I live in [insert US city] but I'm deployed army serving in [whereever]. I'm looking for a long term relationship. If you met the man of your dreams could you love him totally?" I just block them. I assume the goal is to get money out of me but since I don't stick around to find out, how do they do it?

With the let's move to hangouts, well, that's it. They want to move the chat to hanggouts (or maybe some other app). The first time I sent the guy a message on hanggouts and never heard back. After that I just block whomever wants to move to hanggouts. Are they trying to get money out of me or do they get some payment for raising chats on hanggouts?

All of this is mysterious to me.

The lonely soldiers eventually ask you to send them itunes or google gift cards. When they ask about love I tell them Im looking for NSA sex with great-looking men. Then they change the approach and ask if I want to be FWBs. Then they're always in Afghanistan and will be back in four or five months and will I wait for them.

The lonely soldiers eventually ask you to send them itunes or google gift cards. When they ask about love I tell them Im looking for NSA sex with great-looking men. Then they change the approach and ask if I want to be FWBs. Then they're always in Afghanistan and will be back in four or five months and will I wait for them.

I ask them to send me ass pics.