HBO vs HBO Max

This topic is 765 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In a nutshell HBO Max is a streaming service, separate from HBO (cable station)/HBO Go (app for streaming the cable station). Think of HBO Max as a service like Netflix or Hulu. For now there will be shows and movies on HBO Max that won’t be on HBO/HBO Go or any other app or cable/tv station.

They’re all owned by Warner Brothers so I would assume at some point things on HBO Max may trickledown to the other stations but it may take years. Either that or when and if cable dies they all will become HBO Max.

ADDENDUM

I found this youtube vid explaining some of the differences between the various HBO's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8hHeKS178

Edited by big-n-tall

In a nutshell HBO Max is a streaming service, separate from HBO (cable station)/HBO Go (app for streaming the cable station). Think of HBO Max as a service like Netflix or Hulu. For now there will be shows and movies on HBO Max that won’t be on HBO/HBO Go or any other app or cable/tv station.

They’re all owned by Warner Brothers so I would assume at some point things on HBO Max may trickledown to the other stations but it may take years. Either that or when and if cable dies they all will become HBO Max.

ADDENDUM

I found this youtube vid explaining some of the differences between the various HBO's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8hHeKS178

So who do we pay? Upfront, I am techno stupid. Will I subscribe to RCN (which I suppose is my cable station)? Or do I subscribe to HBO Max and then get a number/passcode which I put through my cable station. And then my cable station may not carry it at all and I would probably have to watch it on my computer, which I personally hate. I think that I am going to employ (when things get to something bug-free) a young, jock technician who knows about this kind of stuff. He may be able to teach me, put all the machinery together, and perhaps make some side money.

So who do we pay? Upfront, I am techno stupid. Will I subscribe to RCN (which I suppose is my cable station)? Or do I subscribe to HBO Max and then get a number/passcode which I put through my cable station. And then my cable station may not carry it at all and I would probably have to watch it on my computer, which I personally hate. I think that I am going to employ (when things get to something bug-free) a young, jock technician who knows about this kind of stuff. He may be able to teach me, put all the machinery together, and perhaps make some side money.

HBO Max is like Netflix. It's an entity unto itself and not connected to cable services. It's a streaming service you would pay separately from your cable service (RCN). Although HBO Max (the streaming service) will share content with HBO (the cable channel), there will be content featured on HBO Max that won't be on HBO.

Sadly, since HBO Max is application-based unless you have a web-capable/smart tv, Amazon Firestick, Roku, or some other type of device to connect to your tv, you would have to view HBO Max on a computer or mobile device (tablet or cell phone). I have a flatscreen tv that has Roku built into it, but I also have gaming systems that act as a hub for these streaming apps (programs).

I hope I haven't confused you further. :D If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to further explain.

What I find frustrating is that HBOMax replaced HBONow, which was what I used to have as an app on my Samsung TV. I get the code to login online and set things up, but run into an error message saying that HBOMax is not currently available with my service provider. I have RCN as my internet provider. It does say that I can still use HBONow to stream, but that app is not available on the TV. Tried searching for it and nothing comes up. Why roll this out if you are not compatible with all service providers? I find it annoying that I’ll have to now call customer service on something they may not even be able to help me with. ?

HBO Max is like Netflix. It's an entity unto itself and not connected to cable services. It's a streaming service you would pay separately from your cable service (RCN). Although HBO Max (the streaming service) will share content with HBO (the cable channel), there will be content featured on HBO Max that won't be on HBO.

Sadly, since HBO Max is application-based unless you have a web-capable/smart tv, Amazon Firestick, Roku, or some other type of device to connect to your tv, you would have to view HBO Max on a computer or mobile device (tablet or cell phone). I have a flatscreen tv that has Roku built into it, but I also have gaming systems that act as a hub for these streaming apps (programs).

I hope I haven't confused you further. :D If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to further explain.

What I find frustrating is that HBOMax replaced HBONow, which was what I used to have as an app on my Samsung TV. I get the code to login online and set things up, but run into an error message saying that HBOMax is not currently available with my service provider. I have RCN as my internet provider. It does say that I can still use HBONow to stream, but that app is not available on the TV. Tried searching for it and nothing comes up. Why roll this out if you are not compatible with all service providers? I find it annoying that I’ll have to now call customer service on something they may not even be able to help me with. ?

I also use RCN but I have not checked to see if I can stream HBONow. I can get HBO (and other things such as HBOGo, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Alexa, YouTube, and Prime, plus others). Now I seem to recall that I have to provide numbers that I have gotten when I subscribe. Maybe I never will know. I wonder if you call customer service you can demand someone that looks like a person that you download and send to them?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...