CharlesAtlas - Chicago

This topic is 1437 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 weeks later...

Am I really the first one (in two weeks!) to comment on the FIRST Charles Atlas? When some of us of a certain age were quite young, the comic books we read always had ads for building your body so that no one would dare to kick sand in your face at the beach. The ads featured a big hunky guy (in those days, he was a hunk), standing proudly in his bathing trunks, promising that if you mailed in the coupon and the required price, you could soon look like him. (75 days, was it?)

My reaction to this guy's photos? "I knew Charles Atlas, and sir, you are no Charles Atlas!!!"

Am I really the first one (in two weeks!) to comment on the FIRST Charles Atlas? When some of us of a certain age were quite young, the comic books we read always had ads for building your body so that no one would dare to kick sand in your face at the beach. The ads featured a big hunky guy (in those days, he was a hunk), standing proudly in his bathing trunks, promising that if you mailed in the coupon and the required price, you could soon look like him. (75 days, was it?)

My reaction to this guy's photos? "I knew Charles Atlas, and sir, you are no Charles Atlas!!!"

Could be his real name. I knew a guy named Roland McDonald; from doing math on his birthday, I think he'd been born just months before McDonald's introduced Ronald McDonald. Doubtful this guy was born before people knew about Charles Atlas; possibly born after most people had forgotten about him? :-(