Amsterdam without the Red Light District?

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5916 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>This probably belongs in the Europe Forum, but I think it has

>broader interest (no pun intended)> }(

>

>http://www.newsweek.com/id/109373

Stupid question--I was only in Amsterdam once about 17 years ago. I wasn't out then--so I didn't even try to look about what I am going to ask. I, of course, toured the red light district, but I was wondering--is there any part of the district that has guys in windows? I am thinking probably not, or I would have read it on this site. But you can always learn something new. I have been on this site for years, and I didn't know that you could edit your posts in the immediate period after posting until a few months ago

Thanks,

Gman

RE: The Europe Lounge

Interesting point about forum choices. It seems that some threads can exist in forums where they probably don't belong, and yet others quickly get moved. Sometimes the poster begs that his choice of forum goes unchallenged to no avail. Occasionally he pleads that yes, it's political, but too important for that forum. Well, we all think our threads are important, so who ultimately decides? Do the moderators discuss it, or can one moderator, or backup administrator, make the choice on his own?

I've a dutch friend that had an option to rent an apartment with windows in the redlight district. His intention was to have guys in the window. Alas the authorities would not grant him the necessary permits. He told me that inspite of the much touted open mindedness of Amsterdam that guys in the windows was apparently too much.

I think it would have been a hoot. But some felt it would frighten the straights.

Guest zipperzone

Gives the expression "there goes the neighborhood" a whole new meaning.

I guess we'll all just have to go to Hamburg in the future and take a stroll down Herbert Strassa.

Anton writes:

>Boys behind the windows also have a problem that girls don't

>have. Most tourists who come here and who want to have fun

>with a guy are still in the closet. They don't want to be seen

>in a street or alley with mainly boys behind the windows ...

Yes thats what I was told is a big problem but not just guys in the closet but that (supposedly) straight guys looking for a woman are uncomfortably if they have to walk past a window with guys or are seen on a street with windows of guys.

Once I met someone who put out a lovely book of fetish and generally sexy photography. He seemed to be gay or bisexual or at least comfortable in such settings and company and he enjoyed male photography subjects. So I asked why his book even if the main subject was women had not even one guy even in the background. He told me that their primary audience of straight guys would be uncomfotable with any sexually provocative guys in the pictures. Apparently he and his publisher were afraid that even one potentially homoerotic picture would cause the book to be considered gay.

Sad.

>Boys behind the windows also have a problem that girls don't

>have. Most tourists who come here and who want to have fun

>with a guy are still in the closet. They don't want to be seen

>in a street or alley with mainly boys behind the windows ...

>

Hmmm. Haven't they used a similar (not terribly solid) argument to keep gays out of the military? Straight guys would never feel comfortable with gay guys in the foxhole or barracks or what have you? And before that they used it to segregate the races in the military. Trust me, straight men could and would adjust.

Archived