Much Like The Pointer Sisters-"I'm So EXCITED!!" My EBay Purchased Bread Machine Is Arriving Today

Gar1eth
This topic is 1438 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone is still interested in my bread saga, I toasted a few pieces this morning. They were pretty dang tasty!!! I'm going to make some more bread tomorrow. I'm thinking of adding some grated Parmesan to the dough.

Gman

In case anyone is still interested in my bread saga, I toasted a few pieces this morning. They were pretty dang tasty!!! I'm going to make some more bread tomorrow. I'm thinking of adding some grated Parmesan to the dough.

Gman

Nice! Even my “failures” when baking bread almost always make good toast ??

I know corn sticks because they used to serve them at Furr's Cafeterias and maybe Luby's and Wyatt's too. They were never corn shaped. I would have been fine to find a corn stick pan that didn't look like corn. But I didn't see one.

I haven't used mine yet -but I'm wondering whether these suggestions might help

1. Overly grease the molds-maybe solid shortening or lard is needed.

2. You could try molding foil or parchment into the molds. But I guess that would defeat the purpose of having the hot metal almost 'carmelize' the outside of the sticks. Plus there's always the worry with foil of ingestion of aluminum which is probably not good for you. (They used to give renal patients an aluminum antacid to bind phosphorus (which collects in patients in renal failure) until they figured out the patients were developing aluminum toxicity on it.).

3. Would a stiff scrub brush help? Also my Mom swears by soaking hard to clean pots and pans in hot water followed by scrubbing with kosher salt if needed. Of course it would have to be reseasoned after that.

Gman

Just found this article. Hope it helps.

http://mimisatticithaca.com/new-life-for-cast-iron-cornstick-pans/

Gman

I'll try your recipe. I've never had an issue cleaning it, and I grease/season the hell out of it; they still stick to the pan and I end up with just shrapnel that looks nothing like little cobs of corn :-)

• 3 weeks later...

My latest bread masterpiece just out of the oven-errr bread machine. It's a mixture and modification of two different recipes. Basically I followed one Italian Rosemary bread recipe that used 2-1/2 cups of flour. I added some grated Parmesan cheese from another recipe for Cheese Herb Bread that calls for 3 tablespoons of cheese.

Reading thru the comments on the cheese bread, some people said they couldn't taste the cheese. One comment suggested adding 5 tablespoons. So I did that. But that recipe had 3 cups of flour. My recipe only had 2-1/2. While I was watching my dough being mixed thru the window of my bread machine, the dough looked very soupy. I was thinking that maybe the cheese melting had added to much moisture to the 2-1-2 cups of flour. So I started adding additional flour. I added about a 1/4 cup. The dough ball then looked a lot more like what I had seen on my two previous attempts. So I "danced the dance of joy,"or I would have if I had thought about it at the time.

Bread.jpg?raw=1

(Food Styling by Gman Services)

One of my next exciting bread projects will be attempting pumpernickel.

What's that I read, Gman? You couldn't possibly have written pumpernickel, thought anonymous Message Center Member out in the ethersphere.

Well I have new for you Mr. or Ms. Anonymous. I said (well wrote) PUMPERNICKEL!!!!

I've found some bread machine recipes for it. And I've already bought the whole wheat flour (I had ordered some European brand of wheat flour thru Amazon $10.89 for a 3 lb bag = 23 cents an ounce). Then a few hours after I had ordered it, I fortuitously stepped (which believe me is the best way to step if you can manage it) into a Kroger's and found some much cheaper-King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour at $4.99 for a 5 lb bag (= about 6 cents a bag). Thankfully I was still in time to cancel the Amazon order.

I've also bought the caraway seeds, the cocoa powder, and molasses the recipe calls for. All I'm waiting for now is the rye flour which I ordered off Amazon, and which is supposed to come next week. And then VOILA-PUMPERNICKEL!!

Gman

My latest bread masterpiece just out of the oven-errr bread machine. It's a mixture and modification of two different recipes. Basically I followed one Italian Rosemary bread recipe that used 2-1/2 cups of flour. I added some grated Parmesan cheese from another recipe for Cheese Herb Bread that calls for 3 tablespoons of cheese.

Reading thru the comments on the cheese bread, some people said they couldn't taste the cheese. One comment suggested adding 5 tablespoons. So I did that. But that recipe had 3 cups of flour. My recipe only had 2-1/2. While I was watching my dough being mixed thru the window of my bread machine, the dough looked very soupy. I was thinking that maybe the cheese melting had added to much moisture to the 2-1-2 cups of flour. So I started adding additional flour. I added about a 1/4 cup. The dough ball then looked a lot more like what I had seen on my two previous attempts. So I "danced the dance of joy,"or I would have if I had thought about it at the time.

Bread.jpg?raw=1

What's that I read, Gman? You couldn't possibly have written pumpernickel, thought anonymous Message Center Member out in the ethersphere.

Well I have new for you Mr. or Ms. Anonymous. I said (well wrote) PUMPERNICKEL!!!!

I've found some bread machine recipes for it. And I've already bought the whole wheat flour (I had ordered some European brand of wheat flour thru Amazon $10.89 for a 3 lb bag = 23 cents an ounce). Then a few hours after I had ordered it, I fortuitously stepped (which believe me is the best way to step if you can manage it) into a Kroger's and found some much cheaper-King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour at $4.99 for a 5 lb bag (= about 6 cents a bag). Thankfully I was still in time to cancel the Amazon order.

I've also bought the caraway seeds, the cocoa powder, and molasses the recipe calls for. All I'm waiting for now is the rye flour which I ordered off Amazon, and which is supposed to come next week. And then VOILA-PUMPERNICKEL!!

Gman

I like my food on the savory side, so I often finely mince a large onion and add some asiago to my bread.

Bread.jpg?raw=1

Gman

I like my food on the savory side, so I often finely mince a large onion and add some asiago to my bread.

I have some dried mince onion I thought about adding. But I forgot.

I've tasted this bread. It's ok. It certainly smelled cheesy, but I don't really taste it. I'm wondering if #1 It's just difficult to taste cheese that's added to the flour mixture, #2 maybe it's my tastebuds, or #3 could it be that the Parmesan is just too mild tasting?

@RealAvalon, is Asiago a stronger cheese? If it is maybe I should try that.

Gman

I have some dried mince onion I thought about adding. But I forgot.

I've tasted this bread. It's ok. It certainly smelled cheesy, but I don't really taste it. I'm wondering if #1 It's just difficult to taste cheese that's added to the flour mixture, #2 maybe it's my tastebuds, or #3 could it be that the Parmesan is just too mild tasting?

@RealAvalon, is Asiago a stronger cheese? If it is maybe I should try that.

Gman

Asiago isn't a stronger cheese, but its marginally less expensive and more crumbly (less hard) than parmesan. I think chunks of cheese works better in bread than all mixed up in the flour. Parmesan adds more of a 'background' taste. You can through in something from the spices with asiago as well, some rosemary or some thyme.

Asiago isn't a stronger cheese, but its marginally less expensive and more crumbly (less hard) than parmesan. I think chunks of cheese works better in bread than all mixed up in the flour. Parmesan adds more of a 'background' taste. You can through in something from the spices with asiago as well, some rosemary or some thyme.

Hmm I am not a big cheese fan. For example I don't like the cheese biscuits at Red Lobster. Come to think of it, I don't like seafood. So I never go to Red Lobster anyway!!

But I don't mind a very mild cheese taste. I don't think chunks of cheese are going to work. I guess I'll have to accept a mild background taste.

Aside from the cheese my recipe has 1 T Rosemary. 1/4th tsp Italian Seasoning, and 1/4th tsp ground pepper.

Gman

Bread.jpg?raw=1

Gman

For a minute there I thought you were telling us about macaroon/tomato bread. :)

Glad the bread turned out well. Looking forward to your report on the pumpernickel.

Bread.jpg?raw=1

Gman

For a minute there I thought you were telling us about macaroon/tomato bread. :)

Glad the bread turned out well. Looking forward to your report on the pumpernickel.

Have we talked about Macaroons and Tomatoes?

But speaking of Tomatoes, the recipe book that comes with the machine lists a Bloody Mary Bread. It has Bloody Mary mix in it. It intrigued me. I might make a batch.

Gman

Have we talked about Macaroons and Tomatoes?

No, but the photo shows the loaf of bread accompanied by a package of birthday cake macaroons and two cartons of tomatoes. ???

Do they still make just round loafs? We had one as a kid when they first came out. (I was already out!) The loafs were round. I called them bologna bread. I’m sure they’re different now.

Bread_Maker.jpg

That's cool!! I'd never seen one like that. Thanks. Most of them that I've seen are more square than that. See my picture above. On the cheaper end they all look pretty much like mine. I'm not sure what bread from the really expensive brands like Zojirushi or Breadville look like for sure. But just pictures, their bread pans look a lot like mine. So they may make similar shaped loaves.

Gman

Gman

I had looked at eBay for flour. Ebay keeps a record and emails you from time to time to see if you are still interested. I just received from them a reminder about some flour I had looked at. I also saw they had some King Arthur whole wheat flour on sale. Some idiot is trying to sell a 5 pound bag for $17 when I bought the exact same thing for $4.99 at Kroger. I am certainly in favor of people making a bit of profit. But a 340% profit in a time like this is reprehensible.

Gman

I had looked at eBay for flour. Ebay keeps a record and emails you from time to time to see if you are still interested. I just received from them a reminder about some flour I had looked at. I also saw they had some King Arthur whole wheat flour on sale. Some idiot is trying to sell a 5 pound bag for $17 when I bought the exact same thing for $4.99 at Kroger. I am certainly in favor of people making a bit of profit. But a 340% profit in a time like this is reprehensible.

Gman

I just had my worst pandemic baking experience. I was making my random banana bread, where I add extra froze fruit from the freezer that I might have on hand. I added far too much apple sauce, tried correcting proportions, and fail. Big fail.

I just had my worst pandemic baking experience. I was making my random banana bread, where I add extra froze fruit from the freezer that I might have on hand. I added far too much apple sauce, tried correcting proportions, and fail. Big fail.

It can happen!