COVID-19 and hospitalization

jonnychgo
This topic is 1500 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't think this has been discussed on here yet, but if so, apologies.

So I live in Chicago, in the city, about 3 miles from my hospital. I am single, live alone and do not own a car. I am over 60. The few that do are older and in the high risk category. I have a phone appt with my PCP on Thursday so will ask his advice, but wondering.

If I do contract COVID-19 and end up with a case which is resulting in my needing to get tested or admitted to a hospital, how would I get there? No Uber or Lyft or Taxi would be willing I doubt. I guess I could take public transit but that seems irresponsible. Would calling an ambulance be too extreme and taking one out of commission for someone truly needing it in a life or death situation?

I know this sounds very extreme, but just trying to prepare, as it seems like it's going to rip through the population.

So I live in Chicago, in the city, about 3 miles from my hospital. I am single, live alone and do not own a car. I am over 60. The few that do are older and in the high risk category. I have a phone appt with my PCP on Thursday so will ask his advice, but wondering.

If I do contract COVID-19 and end up with a case which is resulting in my needing to get tested or admitted to a hospital, how would I get there? No Uber or Lyft or Taxi would be willing I doubt. I guess I could take public transit but that seems irresponsible. Would calling an ambulance be too extreme and taking one out of commission for someone truly needing it in a life or death situation?

I know this sounds very extreme, but just trying to prepare, as it seems like it's going to rip through the population.

Hmm... I think if your case was serious enough it would be ok to call an ambulance but I think otherwise they are telling people to self-isolate and try to get over the illness. I think asking your pcp is the best idea

If you were to come down with severe symptoms and have trouble breathing - that is likely the time you should head to the hospital - calling an ambulance would be appropriate. That would be my plan.

If you were to come down with severe symptoms and have trouble breathing - that is likely the time you should head to the hospital - calling an ambulance would be appropriate. That would be my plan.

NYC reported significantly higher 911 call volumes. No doubt this is driven by the current crises.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/03/29/mayor-de-blasio-press-conference-3-29

Testing isn’t going to help you....there’s no effective treatment.

Call 911....only if you’re having an emergency.

Having a ”fever of over 101“ isn’t an emergency.....it’s call “being sick”.

Please don‘t expose 911 responders and emergency staff unnecessarily.

Funny....the doctor who hates Emergency physicians.....didn’t say

“come to my office” during a Pandemic....he said “call 911”.

Emergency Medicine....anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Game, set, match.

[quote="nycman, post: 1884944, member: 3812"

Game, set, match.

What a prick. The point is to avoid contaminating others. Since he cannot drive or take public transportation, he would have to take an ambulance, which must take him to a hospital. If he's in trouble, and gets taken to our hospital, I can assure you that the patient will go straight to an isolation area and ICU as needed. It would be obviously unconscionable to expose an entire ER or doctor's office to the virus. (For the record, my office does have a tent for testing those with COVID19 symptoms in the parking lot outside of the office--the patients stay in their cars--but this obviously doesn't apply to this original poster) Our hospital screens all patients before going into the ER to make sure they don't have COVID19 symptoms. Shame on your hospital if they don't. And yes, if the temperature goes over 101, I would call an ambulance. Especially in a person over 60, this is a sign the COVID19 is in the severe category, and I wouldn't wait until I'm gasping for breath to be evaluated.

What a prick. The point is to avoid contaminating others. Since he cannot drive or take public transportation, he would have to take an ambulance, which must take him to a hospital. If he's in trouble, and gets taken to our hospital, I can assure you that the patient will go straight to an isolation area and ICU as needed. It would be obviously unconscionable to expose an entire ER or doctor's office to the virus. (For the record, my office does have a tent for testing those with COVID19 symptoms in the parking lot outside of the office--the patients stay in their cars--but this obviously doesn't apply to this original poster) Our hospital screens all patients before going into the ER to make sure they don't have COVID19 symptoms. Shame on your hospital if they don't. And yes, if the temperature goes over 101, I would call an ambulance. Especially in a person over 60, this is a sign the COVID19 is in the severe category, and I wouldn't wait until I'm gasping for breath to be evaluated.

How are testing sites in big cities like Chicago and NYC where a lot of people don't have cars handling testing since they can't do drive through testing? Seems like walk in testing would be very dangerous since people who are negative will be exposed to people who are positive.

Hmm... I think if your case was serious enough it would be ok to call an ambulance but I think otherwise they are telling people to self-isolate and try to get over the illness. I think asking your pcp is the best idea

Ambulance rides are often $1000 to $2000, Sometimes insurance or Medicare covers it, sometimes not. Each city/county has different rules on charges. Maybe it's best to research your area quick to be prepared if it becomes necessary. Some areas even have low-cost private ambulance companies. It may be good news to test negative but less good if it means a $2000 ambulance bill.

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/164-per-mile-surprise-ambulance-bills-are-a-growing-problem-difficult-to-avoid/

Testing isn’t going to help you....there’s no effective treatment.

Call 911....only if you’re having an emergency.

Having a ”fever of over 101“ isn’t an emergency.....it’s call “being sick”.

Please don‘t expose 911 responders and emergency staff unnecessarily.

Funny....the doctor who hates Emergency physicians.....didn’t say

“come to my office” during a Pandemic....he said “call 911”.

Game, set, match.

Fever is a biggie but the best test is trying to hold breath for 10 seconds. If you can't and are running a high fever then your lungs are possibly going fast with little time to spare to get to help breathing like a ventilator. The lung thing is speed critical.

Ambulance rides are often $1000 to $2000, Sometimes insurance or Medicare covers it, sometimes not. Each city/county has different rules on charges. Maybe it's best to research your area quick to be prepared if it becomes necessary. Some areas even have low-cost private ambulance companies. It may be good news to test negative but less good if it means a $2000 ambulance bill.

https://www.consumerreports.org/consumerist/164-per-mile-surprise-ambulance-bills-are-a-growing-problem-difficult-to-avoid/

I suddenly become sick when getting off Amtrak in Union Station in Washington last Fall. Passengers saw me and alerted emergency in the station An ambulance took me GWU hospital for the night. I was discharged the next day. My health insurance paid for the ambulance. Thanks much for your post.

The trick here is to not wait until you are critical to go to the hospital. Hospitals are going to be in chaos and showing up needing immediate/urgent attention is not a good plan. Even so, probably best not to take a taxi or Uber, an ambulance or medical car (call your PCP and insurance company first).