EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products for Use Against Coronavirus

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 1522 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-list_03-03-2020.pdf

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is arming consumers with a list of disinfectants that people can use to protect themselves from the novel coronavirus.

The federal agency released a five-page list of chemicals and products Thursday that it says are strong enough to ward off "harder-to-kill" viruses than SARS-CoV-2, the virus that's responsible for the disease.

"Using the correct disinfectant is an important part of preventing and reducing the spread of illnesses along with other critical aspects such as

hand washing," EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in a statement.

"There is no higher priority for the Trump Administration than protecting the health and safety of Americans. EPA is providing this important information in a public and transparent manner on disinfectant products to help reduce the spread of COVID-19," he said.

Can Lysol and Clorox products kill the novel coronavirus? The answer is ... complicated

Can Lysol and Clorox products kill the novel coronavirus? The answer is ... complicated

The EPA says it's best to follow the instructions on the disinfectant's label and pay attention to the how long the product should be on the surface you're cleaning.

In a statement to CNN, the EPA said companies can apply for an "emerging pathogens claim" based on previously approved claims for harder-to-kill viruses. The agency reviews them and determines whether the company can safely make that claim.

One important fact to note, however:

Handwashing with soap and water is still the best way to prevent transmission of the virus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That's because from what we know so far, the novel coronavirus is thought to spread primarily by people and their respiratory droplets -- think coughs, sneezes, spit.

In other words, person-to-person transmission is most common.

While it's possible that people who touch surfaces or objects contaminated with the virus and then touch their mouths or eyes can also become infected, this may not be the main way the virus spreads, the CDC said. So disinfectant wipes can only go so far.

Here are some of the registered disinfectants on the EPA's list:

• Clorox Multi Surface Cleaner + Bleach
  • Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
  • Clorox Commercial Solutions® Clorox® Disinfecting Spray
  • Lysol brand Heavy-Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate
  • Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist
  • Lysol brand Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
  • Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes
  • Sani-Prime Germicidal Spray

You can read the full list of disinfectants here.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-list_03-03-2020.pdf

Spray for clothes is important and Lysol spray is usually out. But I prefer Odo-Ban spray. It's clear and comes in Eucalyptus, Lavender or Lemon scent. Best of all it's been in stock in all my Home Depots by the 100's of $9 gallon bottles. Same 99% effectiveness as Lysol. For years I've used the Eucalyptus scent in smaller spray bottles to spray my shoes inside and then progressed to clothing and household interior. It's being price gouged online but Home Depot usually has enough in stock for everyone in stores. https://www.homedepot.com/b/OdoBan/N-5yc1vZ4iu

I spray my clothes with the eucalyptus scent and get a lot of compliments on my fresh smell. Can't do that with Pine Sol.

(At least not with the type guys you'd want to hook up with.)

s-l640.jpg

Edited by tassojunior

If you can currently find either one of these, I highly recommend them for full disinfecting and general cleaning.

Nothing survives these solutions, which is why they're used regularly in ORs, ERs and tattoo shops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X827F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Metrex-CaviCide-Disinfectant-Decontaminant-Capacity/dp/B019HZQTTO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=cavicide&qid=1584208103&s=industrial&sr=1-3

Yesterday shows the progression of the panic buying here in Las Vega. All disinfectant products gone, All eggs, All most meat.

A man from Los Angeles is saying they're having riots.

So much for that stereotype of "laid back" Southern California.

Picked up the last of the meds that I need to keep me going through Aprill. As I went through the store there was a sense of desperation. The meat area is mostly gone.

They've spread out corned beef to fill the gaps. It would appear that people don't know how to work with corn beef as it's not selling. Apparently not common to know that It's only beef brisket which works best in a crock pot. Rinse it off if you want less salty.

The smarter people are filling their baskets with vegetables with the "Trinity" (Carrots, Celery, Onions the basis for most of American soups) which are the top sellers. I predict that they'll be running out in the next couple days. I picked up those plus mushrooms and avoided the potatoes as they are verboten on my low carb diet. I have a pork stock left over so will be making a pork stew as I found a dozen pork meatball at half price.

The store has limited hours to "8am to 10pm" but the workers are working until 1am restocking what they can. They appear to be running out of steam and the customers are being unruly.

I was at the local grocery store Sunday. Same story. Most meat and eggs gone, all paper products gone. Didn't expect the vending machine for lottery tickets to be out of almost all of the scratch off tickets. I guess restocking the machine is not a priority.