Pickleball

OliverSaks
This topic is 1585 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does anyone here play?

I’ve been addicted as of late, such a great workout, nice way to get my competitive juices flowing (and spending extra time around retirees in athletic shorts is just an added bonus)

I’ll plan on bringing my paddles to the PS gathering, happy to introduce some of ya’ll if you’re interested

I have played a couple of times, because some of my old tennis partners have "aged out" of tennis and find pickleball a suitable substitute. I do not, so I am not ready to leave the tennis court and go over to the dark side. One of the big controversies in Palm Springs recreational sports circles is the takeover and attempted takeover of public tennis courts by pickleball players, a battle that actually gets discussed in city council meetings.

Does anyone here play?

I’ve been addicted as of late, such a great workout, nice way to get my competitive juices flowing (and spending extra time around retirees in athletic shorts is just an added bonus)

I’ll plan on bringing my paddles to the PS gathering, happy to introduce some of ya’ll if you’re interested

If you bring your paddles to Palm Springs, the best public pickleball courts are in Demuth Park.

I’m a long time tennis player, but I had issues with tennis elbow. So far, Pickleball hasn’t triggered the pain that I used to get during tennis. Pickleball is also (imo) more social and welcoming, add that to the quickness of games and I can see why people are flocking to it. I certainly haven’t “aged out” - I just find it to be more enjoyable and better for my body, for the time being.

I have played a couple of times, because some of my old tennis partners have "aged out" of tennis and find pickleball a suitable substitute. I do not, so I am not ready to leave the tennis court and go over to the dark side. One of the big controversies in Palm Springs recreational sports circles is the takeover and attempted takeover of public tennis courts by pickleball players, a battle that actually gets discussed in city council meetings.

Does anyone here play?

It reminds me of ping pong, on a really large table, that you're standing on. I like ping pong

Some sources claim that the name "Pickleball" was derived from that of the Pritchard's family dog, Pickles, or from the term "pickle boat".[4][6]According to Joan Pritchard, Joel Pritchard's wife, “The name of the game became Pickle Ball, after I said it reminded me of the Pickle Boat in crew where oarsmen were chosen from the leftovers of other boats. Somehow the idea the name came from our dog Pickles was attached to the naming of the game, but Pickles wasn’t on the scene for two more years. The dog was named for the game, but stories about the name’s origin were funnier thinking the game was named for the dog."

Wow never heard of such a thing. Why did they name it pickleball?

Wow never heard of such a thing. Why did they name it pickleball?