Favorite home-cooked foods

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5768 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It doesn't get simpler than this, but it's delicious.

CIDER-BRAISED PORK SHOULDER WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS (Serves 4 to 6.)

1 bone-in fresh pork shoulder half (preferably arm picnic)

2 garlic cloves, cut lengthwise into slivers

2 Tbsp olive oil

1½ lb.onions, halved lengthwise then cut into ¼-inch slices

¼ cup unfiltered cider

- Preheat oven to 375°.

- Score fat and any skin on pork in a crosshatch pattern, making slits all over with a small sharp knife and inserting a garlic sliver in each slit. Season pork generously all over with salt and pepper.

- Heat oil in 4 - 5 qt. heavy ovenproof pot until hot. Brown meat, turning it over with tongs and fork, until nicely caramelized. Transfer to a plate.

- Add onions to pot and sauté until softened and starting to brown. Add 1 tsp kosher salt and keep sautéing until caramelized.

- Stir in cider and return pork to pot.

- Cover pot tightly and braise in the middle of the oven until very tender, 2½ - 3 hours.

- Take out pork and boil juices down if desired. Correct seasonings and serve with pork.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't get simpler than this, but it's delicious.

CIDER-BRAISED PORK SHOULDER WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS (Serves 4 to 6.)

1 bone-in fresh pork shoulder half (preferably arm picnic)

2 garlic cloves, cut lengthwise into slivers

2 Tbsp olive oil

1½ lb.onions, halved lengthwise then cut into ¼-inch slices

¼ cup unfiltered cider

- Preheat oven to 375°.

- Score fat and any skin on pork in a crosshatch pattern, making slits all over with a small sharp knife and inserting a garlic sliver in each slit. Season pork generously all over with salt and pepper.

- Heat oil in 4 - 5 qt. heavy ovenproof pot until hot. Brown meat, turning it over with tongs and fork, until nicely caramelized. Transfer to a plate.

- Add onions to pot and sauté until softened and starting to brown. Add 1 tsp kosher salt and keep sautéing until caramelized.

- Stir in cider and return pork to pot.

- Cover pot tightly and braise in the middle of the oven until very tender, 2½ - 3 hours.

- Take out pork and boil juices down if desired. Correct seasonings and serve with pork.

This recipe is not for you if you find Campbell's pork and beans edible, count calories or are cholesterol-conscious.

HOMEMADE PORK AND BEANS (serves 6 to 8)

1 lb. small red or white dried beans, soaked overnight

2 Tbsp vegetable oil, or more as needed for browning

1 4-lb. pork shoulder, boned and cubed - rind is optional

½ lb. slab bacon, cubed very small - rind is optional

2 cups yellow onion, chopped

2 cups chicken broth

1 28 oz. can peeled plum tomatoes, drained and chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 6 if that's what you like)

2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

1 tsp red wine vinegar

1 large bay leaf

1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

- Preheat oven to 350°.

- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown pork thoroughly in batches. I throw in the bone and brown it too. It improves the flavor. Set pork aside.

- Throw in bacon and brown. Set aside with pork.

- Throw in onion and cook until wilted.

- Add pork (with bone) and bacon back in. Stir to distribute everything uniformly.

- In a separate pot combine all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and add to meat.

- Drain beans and add them too. Mix thoroughly.

- Cover and bake 1¼ - 1½ hours, or until pork and beans are tender.

- Fish bone out before serving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is positively the last recipe. It's for cookies with balls, great with tea.

PEPPERCORN COOKIES

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

½ lb. unsalted butter, softened

1 generous tsp. freshly ground peppercorns

1 pinch cayenne

1 Tbsp. powdered ginger

2 tsp. powdered cinnamon

½ tsp. powdered cloves

1-3/4 cups granulated sugar

1 egg

- Preheat oven to 400°

- Stir together flour and baking powder.

- Cream butter.

- Stir spices into sugar, add it all gradually to butter.

- Add egg.

- Add flour mixture, mix thoroughly and knead a few times. You may need to flour your hands.

- Form into a log. At this point you can refrigerate it for a couple of hours for easy handling, or not.

- Slice the log into 1/8-inch cookies. Bake on sprayed or parchment-lined sheets about 12 minutes. Edges should be golden or brown. Cool on a rack. They keep for days in a well-sealed jar or tin.

This recipe is not for you if you find Campbell's pork and beans edible, count calories or are cholesterol-conscious.

HOMEMADE PORK AND BEANS (serves 6 to 8)

1 lb. small red or white dried beans, soaked overnight

2 Tbsp vegetable oil, or more as needed for browning

1 4-lb. pork shoulder, boned and cubed - rind is optional

½ lb. slab bacon, cubed very small - rind is optional

2 cups yellow onion, chopped

2 cups chicken broth

1 28 oz. can peeled plum tomatoes, drained and chopped

4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 6 if that's what you like)

2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce

1 tsp red wine vinegar

1 large bay leaf

1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)

- Preheat oven to 350°.

- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown pork thoroughly in batches. I throw in the bone and brown it too. It improves the flavor. Set pork aside.

- Throw in bacon and brown. Set aside with pork.

- Throw in onion and cook until wilted.

- Add pork (with bone) and bacon back in. Stir to distribute everything uniformly.

- In a separate pot combine all remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and add to meat.

- Drain beans and add them too. Mix thoroughly.

- Cover and bake 1¼ - 1½ hours, or until pork and beans are tender.

- Fish bone out before serving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This is positively the last recipe. It's for cookies with balls, great with tea.

PEPPERCORN COOKIES

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

½ lb. unsalted butter, softened

1 generous tsp. freshly ground peppercorns

1 pinch cayenne

1 Tbsp. powdered ginger

2 tsp. powdered cinnamon

½ tsp. powdered cloves

1-3/4 cups granulated sugar

1 egg

- Preheat oven to 400°

- Stir together flour and baking powder.

- Cream butter.

- Stir spices into sugar, add it all gradually to butter.

- Add egg.

- Add flour mixture, mix thoroughly and knead a few times. You may need to flour your hands.

- Form into a log. At this point you can refrigerate it for a couple of hours for easy handling, or not.

- Slice the log into 1/8-inch cookies. Bake on sprayed or parchment-lined sheets about 12 minutes. Edges should be golden or brown. Cool on a rack. They keep for days in a well-sealed jar or tin.

• 1 month later...
Guest ncm2169

RE: Favorite home-cooked foods - Curry?

I recently discovered I have lost my favorite curry recipe which I had for over 30 years. It was hardly an "authentic" curry, rather it was a typical '70's recipe which was made with sauteed onions, mushroom soup, sour cream, coconut milk, and chopped apples (and of course curry powder). I realize that sounds terribly pedestrian, but it was delicious and everyone who ever ate it raved over it. I made it with shrimp and served it over wild rice, with optional condiments including chopped green onions, shredded coconut, peanuts, etc.

Does anyone happen to have a passable curry recipe? :9

Here's hoping ... LOL.

Guest ncm2169

RE: Favorite home-cooked foods - Cinco de Mayo

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, here's a very Middle American appetizer which is just delicious. If you prefer more authentic Latin food, I am sure you could adapt it easily (with cilantro, chili peppers, etc.). Variations on this recipe have been around for more than 10 years, but this is my fave, and it's a recipe which NEVER has any leftovers - it's another recipe which people go apeshit over.

This recipe fills two glass pie plates, each of which will serve 6-10 people at a cocktail party. If you only use one, cover the other with plastic wrap and freeze (thaw thoroughly before cooking).

Taco Dip

1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (for "healthier" version, use ground turkey)

1 can (16 oz. ?) refried beans

1 pkg. dried taco seasoning

1 24 oz. jar Pace picante sauce (medium heat), or salsa of your choice

1/4 c. water

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

16 oz. sour cream

In a medium fry pan, scramble fry and drain ground beef. Put aside.

Wipe fry pan clean, and mix beans, taco seasoning mix, 1/2 jar picante sauce, and water and simmer until barely bubbling. Add the meat.

Spread the meat/bean mixture into 2 glass pie plates. Spread sour cream on top of meat/bean mixture.

Spread remaining picante sauce over, and top with the cheese.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (until bubbly).

Serve with:

Homemade Tortilla Chips:

1 package 8-inch diameter Flour Tortillas (use the thinner ones - "Home-Style" are too doughy - there should be around 10 tortillas per package).

Olive or Vegetable oil

Ground Cayenne Pepper

Using a scissors, cut the tortillas into 8 triangles (half vertical and half horizontal, then repeat).

Lay tortilla triangles on a shallow baking pan. Using a brush, spread a little oil on both sides of the triangles. Sprinkle to taste with cayenne pepper.

In batches, bake at 350 degrees for a few minutes, watching until they begin to brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Makes 80 chips. Keep uneaten chips in a zip lock bag.

(Obviously, if you're lazy or pressed for time, packaged chips work fine. But if you try this homemade version, you'll be hooked).

RE: Favorite home-cooked foods - Cinco de Mayo

Ersatz Chicken Parmesan

OK...it is really Chicken Mozzarella, but that's the ersatz part.

-Four cooked chicken breasts, bone-in or boneless.

-Shredded mozzarella cheese

-Dried basil

-Dried oregano

-Garlic Powder

-1 or 2 cans diced tomatoes, Italian style or regular, drained

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees or pre-heat broiler.

Place the chicken on a non-stick baking pan

Spoon diced tomatoes over each chicken breast

Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the tomato-covered chicken

Sprinkle garlic powder, oregano, and basil over the cheese.

Bake or broil until chicken is heated through and cheese is golden brown.

One chicken breast may be made in a toaster oven.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ncm2169

Like Asparagus? Spring is here and it's that time. Here ya go - an EZ and delicious recipe.

1 lb Asparagus (thin "pencil stalks" are preferred)

2 tbsp McCormick's Lemon and Herb Seasoning (more or less to taste)

1-2 tbsp lemon juice

1/3 lb butter

Clean and trim asparagus. The easiest way to do this is to first hold the asparagus bunch under cold running water for a few minutes, making sure the water cleanses all the stalks. Then take one stalk at a time and hold it from the base of the "flower" with one hand and the base of the stalk with the other hand and bend. The tougher end of the base will break off and what you should have left is all tender asparagus. Repeat for all stalks and place into a shallow rectangular glass/ceramic pan. Add about 1/2 cup to one cup water to pan, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for two minutes at High. Carefully lift plastic wrap and use a fork to check doneness - you want the asparagus to be "crunchy" - it will finish cooking in the warm oven. If not quite done, replace the plastic wrap and return to microwave foir one minute or more until "done." If the asparagus resists the fork a bit, but slides in nicely, the asparagus is where you want it.

Drain liquid from pan.

Place about 6 or 8 pats of butter on top of the asparagus. Add Lemon/Herb seasoning and lemon juice and stir to season all the asparagus. Place in warm oven for a few minutes. Stir again and serve.

Fuckin Awesome. :9 :9

I love this topic.

It's giving me a major boner!

I'm visiting Paula Deen's new buffet in Tunica, MS. very soon. Will be assaulting every food station.

My cooking skills are limited. I do love her idea to add a single layer of candy bars to your favorite brownie recipe. Mr. Goodbar & Snickers both rock!

Red Wine Marinade:

I found this Marinade recipe in a supermarket aisle and I must say it is one of the best I have ever tasted. Tucolays Napa Valley has one that is close for ~ $10 per bottle. It is great to marinate any kind of beef.

1/3 Cup of Ketchup

1/2 Cup of Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon each of Dried Onion Flakes, Worchestshire (SIC?) Sauce

6 Drops Hotsauce or Cayenne Pepper (anything hot)

1 Teaspoon Dried Rosemary

1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper

3/4 Cup Red Wine (anything you have left over will work)

Leave the meat in for a while and use the left over sauce to baste.

I just did a flank steak with it tonite. The meat was extremely lean and a night in the marinade made it as tasty and tender as you can get.

Guest ncm2169

RE: May in Memphis

I'm sitting here in Mpls, trying to dodge tornadoes and watching a show on Food Network, "May in Memphis." My appetite is being stimulated bigtime. :9

Who among us are Memphisians (Memphisites?). Any of you care to contribute some recipes?

(Private note to one of you - macaroni and cheese doesn't count). }(

"Thug Snacks" are now harmlessly called "snacks."

Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-Queens) objected to OG Nation's plan to market "Thug Chips."

Former Knick Larry Johnson and Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Brown are engaged in marketing the gang lifestyle to inner-city kids, a peeved Queens lawmaker charged yesterday.

The two are part of O.G. Nation, which markets beverages and snacks branded with names such as "Thug Chips" and "Atomic Dogg."

Council aides claim that in street parlance, "O.G." means "original gangster."

The company is preparing to unleash a wave of thug-themed products to supermarkets in urban areas.

Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-Queens), who has been crusading against the marketing of gang paraphernalia on city streets, today will call on investors to pull out and buyers to stay away.

"They are people trying to exploit our youth," Comrie said.

"It's even more insidious because these are people that work directly with gangs . . . enticing people into thug life and gang life. It makes no sense to me," the lawmaker told The Post.

He said Johnson and Brown's products will end up hurting "generations of people."

"Why would you harm an entire culture just to help a few people" make money? Comrie asked.

OG Nation reacted to the bad PR in The Post.

According to a Company spokesperson of InvestSource, speaking on behalf of OG Nation, "This is the most insidious kind of racism, because it masquerades as piety, when it's really just political grandstanding. Jim Brown has worked tirelessly for decades to give a voice to the disenfranchised, dispossessed and marginalized members of our society. Through his Amer-I-Can Foundation, Jim Brown has crusaded arduously against gang involvement, preaching self-empowerment through education. These people who are accusing him of 'marketing the gang lifestyle' demonstrate their complete ignorance of the cause that he has been championing for so long. What have they been doing to foster greater equality of opportunity in our society?"

"The logic behind these accusations is spurious and the premises are completely unfounded. To suggest that there is a connection between a soft drink can and gang violence is simply willful and deliberate ignorance of the deeper socio-economic divisions that are the root of the problem. OG Nation was formed specifically to contribute to greater equality of opportunity in the commercial arena, and the Company has chosen to market its products to an underserved and marginalized demographic. This article only illustrates some of the perfidious ways that these kinds of disingenuous remarks serve to mask ignorant and bigoted rhetoric, and the Company's commitment to its larger social programme is only reinforced as a consequence."

Wow. OG Nation whipped out that race card with lightning speed in response to being accused of marketing "thug food."

Maybe Atomic Dogg really is an effective product.

Atomic Dogg is a carefully designed and crafted Energy Drink in a huge 16-oz. can. No wings needed here! Atomic Dogg will help you keep your swagger at full capacity!

Give me a break!

I think OG Nation's response to The Post is pure crap.

Of course, it's marketing the thug lifestyle and all that entails.

Why name a product line "Thug Chips" if the intent isn't to capitalize on it? What are "Thug Chips" anyway? What's so "thug" about chips?

"Keep your swagger at full capacity."

Good grief.

In the end, that's racist, in my view. It's irresponsible, not empowering.

If the company's aim is really to "market its products to an underserved and marginalized demographic," maybe it would be a more positive move to name its energy drink "Atomic Taxpayer."

Its "Thug Snacks" could be called "Responsible, Law-abiding Citizen Snacks."

Its the thug appeal in OG Nation's marketing that comes off as bigoted to me, not the accusations of its exploitation and glorification of thug culture.

Guest ncm2169

As much as I do not want to pay any attention to this lunatic's posts (and thereby make him think I give a shit about what he says), this diatribe is so beyond the pale that it invites comment. There must be some medication to settle this dude down. x(

Un-fucking-believable. x( x(

Guest ncm2169

As much as I do not want to pay any attention to this lunatic's posts (and thereby make him think I give a shit about what he says), this diatribe is so beyond the pale that it invites comment. There must be some medication to settle this dude down. x(

Un-fucking-believable. x( x(

I stole it, but I've cooked it many times and my partner (who is a Louisiana native) says it's great!

Jambalaya

1 lg. onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 c. chopped celery

1 lg. bell pepper, finely chopped

1 1/2 lbs. sliced sausage (kielbasa or andouille) <I find the andouille works better>

2 lbs. cooked shrimp, chicken, crawfish, or any combination

2 tbsp. olive, vegetable oil, or bacon drippings

1 c. fresh, chopped tomatoes, optional

1 1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice

3 c. chicken or seafood stock

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. onion salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. thyme

1 tbsp. file

1 tsp. oregano

2 bay leaves

Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce to taste

In a large, heavy pot on medium to medium high temperature, saute sausage in oil until well browned; drain well. Add chopped onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper, saute until almost tender. Add seasonings and continue to saute for 1 minute. If desired add fresh, chopped tomatoes. If using chicken, add cooked chicken pieces to take up flavors. Add chicken or seafood stock and rice. Turn heat down to gentle simmer and cover for about 20 to 25 minutes. If using cooked shrimp or crawfish, add at the end of cooking time to prevent breaking down. Add hot sauce to individuals taste.

I stole it, but I've cooked it many times and my partner (who is a Louisiana native) says it's great!

Jambalaya

1 lg. onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 c. chopped celery

1 lg. bell pepper, finely chopped

1 1/2 lbs. sliced sausage (kielbasa or andouille) <I find the andouille works better>

2 lbs. cooked shrimp, chicken, crawfish, or any combination

2 tbsp. olive, vegetable oil, or bacon drippings

1 c. fresh, chopped tomatoes, optional

1 1/2 c. uncooked long grain rice

3 c. chicken or seafood stock

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. onion salt

1 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. white pepper

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 tsp. thyme

1 tbsp. file

1 tsp. oregano

2 bay leaves

Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce to taste

In a large, heavy pot on medium to medium high temperature, saute sausage in oil until well browned; drain well. Add chopped onion, garlic, celery and bell pepper, saute until almost tender. Add seasonings and continue to saute for 1 minute. If desired add fresh, chopped tomatoes. If using chicken, add cooked chicken pieces to take up flavors. Add chicken or seafood stock and rice. Turn heat down to gentle simmer and cover for about 20 to 25 minutes. If using cooked shrimp or crawfish, add at the end of cooking time to prevent breaking down. Add hot sauce to individuals taste.

Guest ncm2169

RE: Favorite home-cooked foods - Grilling

I've been a huge fan of charcoal grilling for years, but I hit the jackpot when I discovered "natural" charcoal which does not contain the petroleum-based ingredients that are necessary to produce the commonly used briquets. When lit using newspaper in a chimney-like device (instead of charcoal "fluid"), it's amazing how the flavor of the food improves.

Somewhere around 15 years ago I watched a Julia Child show in which she featured something called "Dirty Steak with Hot Fanny Sauce." The steak is cooked right on the bed of natural charcoal. Now I rarely grill steak any other way.

Here's a link to the TV Show (you'll need Windows Media Player to view it):

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-dirty-steak-with-hot-fanny-sauce-2925/

Guest ncm2169

I've been a huge fan of charcoal grilling for years, but I hit the jackpot when I discovered "natural" charcoal which does not contain the petroleum-based ingredients that are necessary to produce the commonly used briquets. When lit using newspaper in a chimney-like device (instead of charcoal "fluid"), it's amazing how the flavor of the food improves.

Somewhere around 15 years ago I watched a Julia Child show in which she featured something called "Dirty Steak with Hot Fanny Sauce." The steak is cooked right on the bed of natural charcoal. Now I rarely grill steak any other way.

Here's a link to the TV Show (you'll need Windows Media Player to view it):

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-make-dirty-steak-with-hot-fanny-sauce-2925/

>The steak is cooked right on the bed of

>natural charcoal. Now I rarely grill steak any other way.

As someone that lives on Ribeyes; I found that most interesting. I discovered natural charcoal as a kid and would love to use it today butthe ease of the Weber Summit Gold appeals to my year round grilling. As a side note; When Julia saw the Sherry I think she had an orgasm.

>The steak is cooked right on the bed of

>natural charcoal. Now I rarely grill steak any other way.

As someone that lives on Ribeyes; I found that most interesting. I discovered natural charcoal as a kid and would love to use it today butthe ease of the Weber Summit Gold appeals to my year round grilling. As a side note; When Julia saw the Sherry I think she had an orgasm.

Guest ncm2169

Jason, Jambalaya is one of my all time faves, and your recipe (stolen or not) looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. :9

Guest ncm2169

Jason, Jambalaya is one of my all time faves, and your recipe (stolen or not) looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. :9

Archived