Favorite home-cooked foods

Guest ncm2169
This topic is 5769 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ncm2169

Easy Cheesy Potatoes

(Goes well with the Herbed Pork Loin Roast)

20 oz. fresh Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns

1 can cream of chicken soup

9 oz. sour cream

8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

one bunch green onions, cleaned and chopped

4 oz. can mushrooms - pieces and stems, drained

1 green pepper, chopped

paprika

Mix soup, sour cream, cheese, and veggies in a mixing bowl.

Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking pan with cooking spray. Spread half the Simply Potatoes on the bottom, and top with half the soup/veggie mixture. Repeat with the remaining half of the potatoes and the soup/veggie mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven until bubbly (about 25 minutes).

(Can be made ahead and refrigerated covered - increase baking time by about 10 minutes).

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite for cool November days.

Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup

1 cup of dried lentils

2 tbsp of butter

1 large onion, medium cut

4 cups of broth (any, even water if you are desperate, will do but 3 cups beef broth and 1 cup chicken is best)

1 sweet potato, finely diced

1 bay leaf

1 tsp of paprika

Salt and cayenne to taste

1 tbsp of finely chopped rosemary

1. Wash the lentils under cold water.

2. In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add onion and sauté until soft but not browned, stirring frequently. Stir in lentils and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Add broth, sweet potato, bay leaf, paprika, salt and cayenne. Simmer until the lentils are very soft, adding water until necessary. Remove from heat and let cool 10 minutes

4. Puree half the soup in a blender and mix back in to the soup. Add rosemary and heat through.

Serves four

I keep portions small, so others may say it makes 2-3 servings.

Dishwasher Fish and Orange/Onion Salad

No, I'm not joking. I actually cook my fish in the dishwasher. I prefer fresh-caught rainbow trout or German brown.

Dishwasher Fish

[li]Clean and gut fish as normal.

[li]Sprinkle seasonings in cavity. (I use salt, pepper, thyme, and a little dab of butter.)

[li]Placed individual fish in the center of a generous length of foil. Take ends of foil and roll them together towards the fish. Fold or roll the sides to ensure fish is "sealed" within the foil.

[li] Place individually wrapped fish on top rack of dishwasher. Do NOT have anything else in the dishwasher such as dirty dishes, soap, etc.

[li]Run a full cycle (including dry cycle).

Fish will be perfectly steamed and ready to eat.

Orange and Onion Salad (Make the night before so the flavors will blend together)

[li]Peel your favorite onion (I prefer Bermuda, Walla Walla, or Vidalia)

[li]Cut onion into slices.

[li]Peel your favorite orange (I prefer Naval since they are seedless).

[li]Gently separate the fruit along the natural divisions.

[li]Place a layer of onion in a 9 x 12 glass dish followed by a layer of orange.

[li]Continue onion and orange layering until dish is full.

[li]Drizzle a small amount of orange juice over layers.

[li]Cover dish with plastic wrap (not foil) and place in refridgerator over night or for several hours.

[li]Just before serving, place a layer of shredded lettuce on a salad place.

[li]Put orange and onion mix on top of shredded lettuce and serve.

Makes a very refreshing salad.

Guest ncm2169

As those of you who are not foreigners to Minnesota know, we are The Land of 10,000 Lakes, and the heart of Lake Country is the Brainerd Lakes area about 150 miles north of the Twin Cities. The jewel there is Gull Lake, where I spent my summers as a youth, and going back as far as the '40's (before my time) there has been a "Supper Club" on "The Narrows" of Gull Lake known forever as the Bar Harbor Supper Club. A staple on their menu for over 60 years has been their Au Gratin Potatoes, of which I am an avid aficionado and connoisseur. Their recipe is by far and away the best I have ever eaten. :9

Bar Harbor on Gull Lake Au Gratin Potatoes

4 tbsp. butter

6 tbsp. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

pinch white pepper (black is fine)

3 cups warm milk (nuke it)

2 cans Cheddar Cheese soup

3 heaping cups cold shredded/chopped baked potatoes (nuke them and peel them, then shred or shop into 1 inch dice - I use 4 decent-sized baking potatoes)

Angostura Bitters - about 10 serious dashes

8 oz. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Grated Parmesan cheese

Paprika

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan; add flour a little at a time, mixing well with a whisk. Let mixture come to the bubble stage, being careful that it doesn't burn. Add salt and pepper. Turn burner to low and add warm milk slowly, whisking so mixture is creamy (no lumps). Add Cheddar cheese soup. Let it come to the bubbling stage again, and immediately remove from heat. Cool. Add several dashes of bitters and stir in until completely mixed.

Fold in cold shredded/chopped potatoes. Pour into a 9 x 11 casserole dish. Cover with shredded Cheddar cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then lightly with paprika.

Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is melted to golden brown (about 20-25 minutes).

Makes 8 servings.

Hints: DO NOT USE frozen or store-bought shredded potatoes. It doesn't take long to nuke and peel baked potatoes, and you want that original taste/texture.

The Angostura bitters is the secret ingredient which makes this special. :9

Guest ncm2169

For the garlic lovers among you. :9

Killer Garlic Dip

16 oz. package cream cheese

Several tbsp. milk or 1/2 and 1/2

At least 6 good sized garlic cloves, peeled and run through a garlic press

Potato Chips

Using a hand electric mixer, add enough milk or cream to thin the cream cheese to a creamy consistency, like any chip dip. (Add a little at first and keep adding until you reach the desired consistency). Add the pressed garlic and mix again. Let sit covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for a few hours before serving. Serve with your chip(s) of choice, but good old fashioned potato chips work the best. :*

Note: I've been making this dip for more years than I can remember. It's so EZ that a child can do it (I know - I made it as a child after watching my Mother make it). Somewhere along the way someone gave it the "Killer" garlic name, and it stuck.

Be sure to use fresh garlic run through the press - DO NOT use bottled or garlic in a jar, or garlic powder - it won't have anywhere near the flavor.

Enjoy! }(

With Thanksgiving next week here is a cranberry relish that appeared in the Los Angeles Times many, many years ago. I absoluely love it and, believe it or not, I just made a quadruple batch this afternoon:

L.A. TIMES CRANBERRIES RELISH

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups Sugar

3/4 cup Water

3 whole Cloves

3 whole Allspice

2 whole Cinnamon Sticks (3-inch)

1 pkg. Fresh Cranberries (12 oz.)

1 large Orange, zest only

Method:

Combine sugar, water, cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks in 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, tunil syrup is clear, about three (3) minutes. Add cranberries and cook just until the4y begin to pop, about five (5) minutes.

Remove from the heat, add the orange zest and cool. Keep in refrigerator at least three (3) days before serving. Makes two and one half (2 1/2) cups relish, about ten (10) servings

Guest ncm2169

Creamy Chicken Breasts with Wild Rice, Mushrooms and Artichokes

First, about the Wild Rice. If you're from the North Country, in particular here in MN, you may know how to properly select and cook wild rice. Very simply, there are longer grain and shorter grain versions of the delicacy; you want to buy the longer grain version, which is often actually harvested in Canada.

If you can't find it in your local grocery, I believe this is a reputable vendor:

http://www.northbaytrading.com/zcartx/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=3&gclid=CLqzyqnU3Y8CFQM-IgodFzYC5A

To cook wild rice, you usually add one cup dry rice to 3-4 cups of chicken stock/broth (store-bought is fine); plain cold water works, too. Bring the mixture to a boil covered, and then let simmer covered for close to an hour until kernels open widely; drain.

For this recipe, you only want to cook the rice until the kernels open just slightly - about 30 to 40 minutes - it will finish cooking by steaming in the casserole.

* 1 cup uncooked wild rice

* 4 cups water

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup

* 1 (16 ounce) carton sour cream

* 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, undrained

* 1 (8 ounce) can chopped or diced artichoke hearts (NOT marinated)

* 1/2 cup dry sherry (use real Sherry, not cooking sherry)

* 6 small whole boneless skinless chicken breasts

* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Rinse wild rice in strainer under running water or in a bowl of water; drain. In heavy saucepan, bring wild rice, water and salt to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until kernels open slightly (30-40 minutes). Drain. Spread rice in buttered 8x12 inch baking dish. Combine soup, sour cream, undrained mushrooms and sherry; pour about half of soup mixture over rice. Arrange chicken over soup. Spoon remaining soup mixture over chicken. Arrange the artichokes around the chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake, covered, in a preheated 375 F oven 30 minutes; uncover and bake until cooked through (about 30 minutes longer).

Amount: 6 servings

Note: the chicken will be fork tender and very moist. To die for!!:9

Guest ncm2169

Ep, that sounds totally delicious. Years ago, I had a recipe for "Cranberry Ice" which, after cooked, was frozen and then served in sherbet glasses. Any clue where I could find that? :9

Or another Justin Berry episode... }(

Here's one for the really challenged in the kitchen. It couldn't get much more simple.

You need a baking dish that has a tight cover. I have a corningware "skillet" that has a glass lid and it works perfectly.

Peel and slice two potatoes and line the bottom of the dish with them. Peel and slice two large carrots and layer them on top of the potatoes.

Put two fillets of any whitefish on top of the veggies, and put two 1/4" pads of butter on top of each fish fillet.

Note: there is no water in this recipe.

At this point, you can toss in any spice that turns your crank. Really like Rosemary? Toss it in! Sage is often good, as is dill. But it's still tasty if you don't add anything but salt & pepper.

Cover it, shove it in the oven at 350 until it "bubbles up" and it's done.

You've got potatoes, carrots, and fish. If you really want, you can do some other side dish while it's in the oven but you've only got 20-30 minutes or so.

Delicious, easy, and a one-pot cleanup.

I have an overflowing spice cabinet becuase I enjoy cooking a wide variety of ethnic dishes. After extensive research I have found the best source of spices to be Penzeys Spices - http://www.penzeys.com. Not only does Penzeys have a huge inventory they also have the best prices around. They are headquartered in Brookfield WI but have begun opening shops throughout the country. Try their web site to see if there is one in your area or buy on line. Get them to send you a catalogue, it is outstanding and even contains some recipes.

Damn, thanks guys! I just copied great recipes (so they appear) for lentil soup and chicken breasts with wild rice into my recipe file. I tend to lean toward the healthy myself, and being a Minnesotan toward wild rice as well, and these sound great. Here's a few of my favorites:

CARROTS VICHY

1 lb. carrots

1 t. salt

1 t. sugar

1 T. butter

add water to cover carrots

peel carrots and cut into rounds. place in skillet. add sugar and salt and dot with butter. add water to just above, barely covering, carrots. cook on high until all liquid is exhausted. sprinkle with chopped parsley.

GOAT CHEESE PUDDING WITH POACHED CRANBERRIES

1 pound fresh soft goat cheese, at room temp

1 large egg

2 large egg yolks

1 3/4 cups sugar

1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1 pound fresh cranberries, washed and drained

Heat oven to 325. Place cheese In a food processor If necessary and blend to smooth. Set aside. Place a large kettle of water on to boil.

In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle, combine egg and yolks. Beat until fluffy. Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar, and continue to beat until thick and pale. Scrape pulp from one half of vanilla bean, and add to mixture (or add extract). Add lemon juice and goat cheese. Beat on medium speed until very smooth.

Divide mixture evenly among six 4-ounce custard cups, and place cups In a baking dish. Carefully pour boiling water Into pan to reach halfway up sides of cups. Bake until puddings are firm but do not puff or rise, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove cups from pan, and place on a rack to cool to room temp.

While puddings cool, In a med saucepan combine remaining cup sugar with 1 1/4 cups water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add half the cranberries, remove from heat, and allow to steep until berries collapse and color the liquid, about 15minutes. Pour Into a fine meshed sieve set over a bowl, and drain for 30 minutes. Do not force berries through sieve.

Place cranberry syrup In a clean sauce pan and place over high heat to bring to a boil. Add remaining cranberries, reduce heat to a bare simmer, and poach berries until tender but still Intact, about 4 minutes. To serve, top each custard cup with a potion of cranberries and syrup. Serve Immediately at room temp.

I also use blueberries heated with a little lemon juice and sugar in place of the cranberries...

ASIAN SALAD

2 (3oz) pkgs ramen noodles, crushed

1 c slivered almonds

2 tsp sesame seeds

1/2 c butter

1 lb (she uses 1 head, which Is usually @ 2 lbs) Napa cabbage

1 bunch green onions, chopped

3/4 c (she uses only 1/4 c) vegetable oil

1/4 c white wine vinegar

1/3 to 1/2 c sugar (splenda)

2 T soy sauce

In med skillet over low heat melt butter, then add ramen noodles, almonds and sesame seeds. When browned, take off heat and cool.

In a large bowl, shred Napa cabbage and add chopped green onions.

In small saucepan bring oil, sugar and vinegar to a boil for 1 minute, let cool, then add soy sauce.

When about to serve, add ramen mixture to cabbage then toss In soy sauce mixture to coat. Serves around 6.

Guest zipperzone

>I tend to lean toward the healthy

>myself, and being a Minnesotan toward wild rice as well, and

>these sound great.

Tom - very glad to hear that you tend towards healthy. I not help but notice that one of your recepies called for 1 3/4 cups of sugar and another, 1/2 cup of butter.

Hey Zipper,

You are right, although there's nothing bad about the carrots! These aren't my most healthy recipes; I didn't say they were. The topic here seems to be "favorite" recipes. The asian salad, by the way, makes about 15 servings; so 1/2 cup of butter spread that thin isn't so bad, no?

Archived