I know I will probably never have kids of my own...

Boy4
This topic is 1656 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I never heard of sponsor a child-maybe in charities that work with poor countries where 30 bucks a month can sposnor a child's meals etc. But you can foster a child even if you are single and look for adoption. Adopting while being single and gay is like pulling hen's teeth. but depending on your state it can happen. I myself looked at adoption and then through some luck decided to have my own children through the marvels of modern science. If you are limited by finaces or age , it may not be possible. But through my journey, I met people in their 50s and even one gay couple in their early sixties who decided to have their own genetic child. To some it does not matter, but I grew up with a huge family and am glad my child has some connection to my family and me genetically-it is interesting to see some traits of my grandma in my son!

Lots of options for family building these days for non traditional families.

Edited by Walker1

Does anyone sponsor a child through a charity organization, or can recommend one?

My aunt did that years ago. I think the child was in either a central or south American country. She used to get letters and drawings from the girl. She never told me what company/organization she used.

Consider being a big brother

https://www.bbbs.org/

The last time I asked, they said they would tell the parent that I was gay, just in case the parent did not want a gay man to "brother" their child.

I found that discriminatory. I recommend finding out if that policy is still in place.

Or perhaps you could volunteer in a school? They're always shorthanded.

Consider being a big brother

https://www.bbbs.org/

The last time I asked, they said they would tell the parent that I was gay, just in case the parent did not want a gay man to "brother" their child.

I found that discriminatory. I recommend finding out if that policy is still in place.

I wondered about that.

I also wondered what would happen if someone asked about the less-traditional gender pairing.

Big sister to a guy, big brother to a girl?

I was a big brother for a few years.

they knew i was gay

No one had a problem with it.

i was paired with a Hispanic boy.

Is this something you have to disclose to them if you are not in a relationship? I don't see why they need to know what your orientation is especially if you aren't bringing your little brother into your personal life outside of volunteering.

Very interesting. The first job I was offered when I left graduate school was a management position in the Big Brothers organization. I declined it because I figured that the fact that I was gay would eventually cause problems (homosexual activity was illegal in those days).

Beware of charities’ ‘donor illusion’

There seemed to be a disconnect between what the charity promoted — the joys of the sponsor-child relationship — and the reality of cutting the cord for business reasons.

Tim Ogden edits Philanthropy Action, a Web site for donors. He says I got caught up in what he calls the “donor illusion,” the promise of a direct connection between a donor and an individual recipient.

Tim Ogden:
It’s an illusion that’s created by the marketing, and it’s created because it’s a powerful one for attracting donations. But the reality is, if you really care about doing the most good, then there shouldn’t be that direct connection.

Because he says charities need the flexibility to respond to the situation on the ground. That could mean using a donor’s money for flood relief instead of buying a family a goat — or simply not allowing money to be misused. He says many charities expand on their business model in the fine print.

Regardless of what people do, they should always check the rating of any organization through a rating site, like https://www.charitynavigator.org

Different Path:

I volunteered on a child abuse hotline in Philadelphia for five years. The calls were mostly from mother, relatives and neighbors. Seldom from children. I don't remember ever answering a call from teenager who wanted to protect a younger sister or brother. Perhaps the hotline was unknown it most Children. Sad. But, our fault as well.

Does anyone sponsor a child through a charity organization, or can recommend one?

A friend of mine sponsored two kids in Africa, one was in Ethiopia and other one was in Namibia. It was a long term sponsorship, and he went and visited both of them when they were older. The support he provided was really supporting the entire family. He did it through Save the Children.

https://www.savethechildren.ca/