Random random

loremipsum

A few months ago at a bar I approached a guy and asked if I could sit down. He said point-blank: “I have a boyfriend but you wanna stay and chat?” I was like “yeah okay” and we talked for a bit and then his friend abruptly rushed up and exclaimed to him, dramatically and in earnest, “your boyfriend’s here!” I look and about ten feet behind him is a guy staring at me and approaching slowly. I calmly (but immediately) got up and walked back to my friends and took a seat with my back to the scene. My friend said that they kept looking over at me. In retrospect, I think that my wordlessly getting up and walking off may have actually worsened the optics of that tableau. Perhaps I should have stayed and introduced myself to the boyfriend, all sweetness and light.

At any rate, I found out that they’re not together anymore, so I shouldn’t have the same problem next time.

A few months ago at a bar I approached a guy and asked if I could sit down. He said point-blank: “I have a boyfriend but you wanna stay and chat?”

"Actually, I was just looking for a seat, not a relationship". :-D

Although, I've run into similar situations once or twice at work, places where I'm just casually out (ie, I don't make any effort to hide it, but don't broadcast it either). A female co-worker will ask if I want to grab a coffee or something and I wonder if I should say something like "You know I'm gay, right?" Which could invite a response of "it's only coffee, I wasn't proposing a date".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wouldn't that depend on which campus?

Lol, I remember when I first found out there was another USC (University of South Carolina). Being from southern California, I only knew University of Southern California. I felt so silly. What I overheard was directions from the Galen Center in Southern California

Lol, I remember when I first found out there was another USC (University of South Carolina). Being from southern California, I only knew University of Southern California. I felt so silly...

A colleague kept referring to "IU" and I finally corrected him and said "It is the U of I." He informed me he was referring to "Indiana University." Being from Chicago, "IU" was pretty meaningless. Like you, silly and embarrassed were the feelings running through my mind.

I dunno, maybe this is all serious and stuff, but the headline from nbcnews seemed a bit snarky......:D:rolleyes:

"Woman says man held her against her will, forced her to watch "Roots""

the "to understand racism" part was not included in the homepage headlines....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/woman-says-man-held-against-her-will-forced-watch-roots-n1138286

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In other news, on 8 March The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy turned 42. That is all.

Nice, a man who knows his various incarnations of HHGTTG. From Wikipedia

The series was first broadcast on BBC Radio 4 at 10.30pm on Wednesday 8 March 1978.

I first heard it on NPR, I'd tuned in to listen to the radio serialization of "Star Wars", which was playing Thursday nights, and they broadcast Hitchhiker's following that. I missed the first episode, caught part of the second, and was hooked at that point. Judging by when those were broadcast, I'm guessing this was March 1981.