Should I wait for 5G?

KeepItReal
This topic is 1153 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I should update my phone. I've had it for 4 years, it is in decent shape but the battery life is not what it used to be. I can live with it but it isn't convenient. Looking to stick with iphone but it sounds like the first 5G model won't be available until next year. I don't follow the technology closely - do you fellas think I should wait until next year? Are you waiting? :)

http://new.whatmobile.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/5G-Network.jpg

@KeepItReal I am glad you asked the question. I have an iPhone 6 and I am debating whether I should upgrade now to the iPhone 11 or if I should wait one more year when Apple is supposed to have an iPhone version that supports 5G. In my case I am also torn cause I like my home button and the iPhone 11 doesn’t have one but I won’t derail your post with that one since the 5G question is forefront in my mind too...

@KeepItReal, you can always just replace the battery on your current phone, That's a lot cheaper than a new phone, and would last until the 5G models come out.

@Reisr30, I upgraded from a 6S to an Xr last year. Wasn't looking forward to it, now thrilled that I did. You won't miss the home button, and will LOVE face id.

5G depends not only on your phone, but on your carrier as well. If there's no 5G network where you are, you'll have to wait in any case, so no need to buy the phone today.

Kevin Slater

Edited by Kevin Slater

@KeepItReal, you can always just replace the battery on your current phone, That's a lot cheaper than a new phone, and would last until the 5G models come out.

@Reisr30, I upgraded from a 6S to an Xr last year. Wasn't looking forward to it, now thrilled that I did. You won't miss the home button, and will LOVE face id.

5G depends not only on your phone, but on your carrier as well. If there's no 5G network where you are, you'll have to wait in any case, so no need to buy the phone today.

Kevin Slater

As usual @Kevin Slater is spot on. I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6S plus last November. Now I can wait a long while for my next iPhone upgrade. Because I use my unlocked phone both in the US and Asia (with a local SimCard that may be a while. Not only do I have to make sure there are suitable 5G networks in both locals, I have to save up for a new unlocked phone.

If Apple follows their past practice, the iPhone 6 / 6+ will not receive any further operating system updates. This mean any security issues uncovered in the old operating system will not be patched. People should not use such an unpatched phone for anything they want to keep secure.

The iPhone 6S / 6S+ is receiving updates with iOS 13, so is ok to keep using. @Kevin Slater is spot on about getting batteries replaced.

There was an interesting segment on the news last night (and it was on the public broadcaster so there's almost certainly no commercial spin to the coverage). 5G is just starting to roll out here and so far it's only in a small proportion of the major metropolitan areas. If you're looking to upgrade your device you need to consider when the service will be available, not only where you live but also to places you might visit regularly. I'm sure the device would be able to maintain a connection on a legacy network, but there is less reason to upgrade if half the time it'll be using 4G.

One point the segment raised that I had never considered was the example of Korea. There, they found that data rates on 4G improved significantly when 5G became available because all the heavy users upgraded leaving more capacity for the rest. It becomes a question of whether you actually need the higher speeds or if it's just a sort of cyber dick measuring contest.

• 1 year later...
Looking to stick with iphone but it sounds like the first 5G model won't be available until next year. I don't follow the technology closely - do you fellas think I should wait until next year? Are you waiting? :)

I have an iPhone 6 and I am debating whether I should upgrade now to the iPhone 11 or if I should wait one more year when Apple is supposed to have an iPhone version that supports 5G.

Because I use my unlocked phone both in the US and Asia (with a local SimCard that may be a while. Not only do I have to make sure there are suitable 5G networks in both locals, I have to save up for a new unlocked phone.

If Apple follows their past practice, the iPhone 6 / 6+ will not receive any further operating system updates.

5G is just starting to roll out here and so far it's only in a small proportion of the major metropolitan areas. If you're looking to upgrade your device you need to consider when the service will be available, not only where you live but also to places you might visit regularly. I'm sure the device would be able to maintain a connection on a legacy network, but there is less reason to upgrade if half the time it'll be using 4G.

One point the segment raised that I had never considered was the example of Korea. There, they found that data rates on 4G improved significantly when 5G became available because all the heavy users upgraded leaving more capacity for the rest. It becomes a question of whether you actually need the higher speeds or if it's just a sort of cyber dick measuring contest.

2020297.gif

Unless you live in a densely populated area, you won't see true 5G for some time. 5G only has a range of 500 Meters (545 Yards), so it has been typically installed on telephone polls so far. They are either going to have to figure out how to get more range, or they are going to have to justify the cost of installing units every 800-1000 meters wherever they want true 5G coverage. Economically, this means they will focus on population dense areas first.

The range of 4G is about 10 miles for comparison.

Unless you live in a densely populated area, you won't see true 5G for some time. 5G only has a range of 500 Meters (545 Yards), so it has been typically installed on telephone polls so far. They are either going to have to figure out how to get more range, or they are going to have to justify the cost of installing units every 800-1000 meters wherever they want true 5G coverage. Economically, this means they will focus on population dense areas first.

The range of 4G is about 10 miles for comparison.

Thanks @jtwalker.

• 1 month later...

Kevin Slater

I took your advice @Kevin Slater and had a new battery installed. Now, more than a year later the phone is beginning to show it's age. So I will go phone shopping for a new 5G device this week. A new battery was the right call! Thanks!!

I took your advice @Kevin Slater and had a new battery installed. Now, more than a year later the phone is beginning to show it's age. So I will go phone shopping for a new 5G device this week. A new battery was the right call! Thanks!!

@KeepItReal, I finally upgraded my iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone 12 Pro Max and I LOVE IT!

It’s such a difference and I put two phone numbers on it which works perfectly for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve had good experience replacing both batteries and screens on my iPhones.

but while I’m a fan of owning over leasing, I’ve finally decided to just be a renter of my iPhone. I opt for the insured/upgrade plan and the cost of the phone is a monthly add on to my bill. I can upgrade at will at least annually or pay to own at completion if I choose. But for me, I’m viewing the phone as prone to quick obsolescence

I’m with you @BnaC. I prefer to own rather than rent and have successfully replaced batteries on this and prior iPhones. I’d consider a plan similar to the one you chose except I make extended trips to Asia to visit in-laws. There I have two options: pay AT&T $10 a day to continue service internationally or install a local SimCard. To do that I need to own my phone. So for now I’ll keep this old iPhone 6S plus and save up for a new model.