Reactions to these veggie burgers?

This topic is 1612 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Great question...often ignored in the hype...

B5-E62-C60-E49-A-4322-9-A9-E-9-FBCA1314045.png

Even more saturated fat, calories, and sodium, so no. The benefit would appear to be simply environmental, i.e. fewer greenhouse gases. If you do the switch, it would be for environmental benefits, not health benefits. It's the coconut oil which makes it so unhealthful. It's one of the two vegetable oils (the other being palm) which is loaded with saturated fat.

Edited by Unicorn

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really healthy like eating vegetables...

Oh, hell no it isn't healthy like eating vegetables! That's why they do not call it a "veggie burger." Then again, the vegetarian and vegan staples like tofu, seitan, and tempeh as well as protein powders are also highly processed.

Great question...often ignored in the hype...

B5-E62-C60-E49-A-4322-9-A9-E-9-FBCA1314045.png

Given most cookbooks recommend, most restaurants use, and most beef-based burger patties available in stores use 70% or 80% lean ground beef for burgers, comparing a Beyond Burger patty to 90% lean ground beef is a bit misleading. Using a popular brand of burger patties as an example, the Beyond Burger has 50 fewer calories per 4 oz serving. (The beef-based brand is a 6 oz patty, it is very simple to calculate the 4 oz patty equivalent.) and 6 fewer grams of fat.

The summary is it is comparable in calories and fat to most burger patties available in retail stores and restaurants.

Even more saturated fat, calories, and sodium, so no. The benefit would appear to be simply environmental, i.e. fewer greenhouse gases. If you do the switch, it would be for environmental benefits, not health benefits.

Disagree on the first part (see post above - need to compare like-for-like) but agree on the second part.

As an asthmatic, I can tell you there are health benefits to fewer greenhouse gasses. Of course, me buying a package of Beyond Burgers does nothing to reduce overall greenhouse gasses.

The summary is it is comparable in calories and fat to most burger patties available in retail stores and restaurants.

Agree...I didn’t really pay attention to the lean/fat mix in the example, my bad.

But, a lot of health conscious food DO buy 90/10 ground beef....so if they think a Beyond or Impossible product is “healthier” they are in for a surprise.

This might be more realistic RE: calories and fat...sodium still a serious Beyond issue:

433-CAE8-F-7616-4284-9493-E011-F07-D5-DB5.jpg

The introduction of both Beyond & Impossible has helped make it possible for me to become a vegan the past two years (I don’t eat anything that died screaming and I never will again): From the delicious Beyond burritos at Del Tacos on the west coast to the tasty gourmet Impossible & Beyond burgers at Bare Burgers on the east coast and the yummy Beyond Chicken at KFC (currently only in Atlanta but soon expanding nation wide), I’ve not found it difficult to transition to now eating a “cruelty free” diet.

Plus I know I’m not only helping myself to eat healthier by not consuming the flesh of another species (that wanted to live), but I’m also helping our environment that could use all the help it can get in this administration.

The introduction of both Beyond & Impossible has helped make it possible for me to become a vegan the past two years (I don’t eat anything that died screaming and I never will again): From the delicious Beyond burritos at Del Tacos on the west coast to the tasty gourmet Impossible & Beyond burgers at Bare Burgers on the east coast and the yummy Beyond Chicken at KFC (currently only in Atlanta but soon expanding nation wide), I’ve not found it difficult to transition to now eating a “cruelty free” diet.

Plus I know I’m not only helping myself to eat healthier by not consuming the flesh of another species (that wanted to live), but I’m also helping our environment that could use all the help it can get in this administration.

You gave me thumbs down to my completely subjective review of an impossible burger. Couple that with your condescending virtue signaling here, and it seems like you think you are a good person and I am not.

Even more saturated fat, calories, and sodium, so no. The benefit would appear to be simply environmental, i.e. fewer greenhouse gases. If you do the switch, it would be for environmental benefits, not health benefits. It's the coconut oil which makes it so unhealthful. It's one of the two vegetable oils (the other being palm) which is loaded with saturated fat.

Yes, the benefit is environmental but also there is the question of ethical treatment of animals. I have a friend who has been vegan for 30 plus years due to her animal rights activism.

I have killed chicken myself. It is quick and they don't die screaming. It is the cycle of life-life and death. If you don't eat them, they become old, diseased and wither away suffering untold agony and pain. I certainly believe in choice-it does not have to be this way or that way-you can defnitely be a vegan or an omnivore-I doubt there are anny true carnivores among planet-maybe eskimos?

Hunting is fine by me too. If we don't hunt them, their other natural predators will.

I have killed chicken myself. It is quick and they don't die screaming. It is the cycle of life-life and death. If you don't eat them, they become old, diseased and wither away suffering untold agony and pain. I certainly believe in choice-it does not have to be this way or that way-you can defnitely be a vegan or an omnivore-I doubt there are anny true carnivores among planet-maybe eskimos?

Hunting is fine by me too. If we don't hunt them, their other natural predators will.

I’m sure we can search the Internet and find many horrible slaughterhouse stories, photos, and maybe even videos.

However, there is also a new movement towards non-commodity “craft beef“ and other animal husbandry trends, which treat the animal more as individuals, healthier feeding (not feedlots), grass and grains grown directly on the ranch, free range pastures, no hormones or drugs, and in fact the route to slaughter is fairly peaceful, done individually, and there is no “screaming“. Of course, this sort of beef and protein is necessarily more expensive.

The introduction of both Beyond & Impossible has helped make it possible for me to become a vegan the past two years (I don’t eat anything that died screaming and I never will again)...

I hate to burst your bubble, but exactly how do you think animals live and die in the wild? Do you have an image of some sort of Disney cartoon in which animals are hopping about carefree, and die peacefully with hospice care? The life of most wild animals is a difficult one, and death is rarely quick or painless. While I strongly support efforts to treat domesticated animals with kindness, this is not because I believe wild animals are running around happy most of the time. I do buy eggs that are marked as being pasture-raised and certified cruelty-free by the humane society, and also buy milk/butter from pasture-raised cows. But the fact that you're vegan and not just vegetarian means you've taken it to a sort of religious and, pardon me for saying this, not quite rational level. What is the logic in avoiding eggs from birds who've been treated well, and certainly not suffering?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK0maG_HouBYZTFxLe7a4ggdvjzaIiLNh5dd81ePQCPgg_dWXj&s

Edited by Unicorn

Whole Foods and other image-conscious “healthy choice” retailers do a lot of talking about so-called “humane meat.” Whole Foods even has various levels of “humaneness” that farms can achieve by promising that their operations meet certain criteria. Whole Foods prefers farms that are marketed as:

“free-range,”

“small-scale,”

“organic,”

“family-operated,”

and similarly pleasant-sounding farms that make you feel like you are not part of the problem but are part of the solution. But this is marketing BS / hogwash bologna.

As the general population becomes more aware of the cruelty inherent in animal agriculture, meat & dairy companies are changing their labels

“cruelty free”

“humanely raised”

“grass fed”

They think that with a few reassuring words and a pretty picture of a farm, the American consumer can be easily fooled into believing that no animals were harmed in the production of the flesh and body fluids beneath the plastic. But we should know better. And people are being lied to and under cover reporting by the likes of 60 minutes whos researched supposedly “humanely raised” farms used by Chipotle & Whole Foods etc have exposed this wide scale scam which uses false marketing narratives that are not based on truth.

THIS is simply CREATIVE MARKETING to make you feel less bad about the life you are taking in order to feed yourself when you don’t need to be doing so.

Exploiting & killing animals to eat their body parts can never be humane.

The only humane meal is a vegan one.

Whole Foods and other image-conscious “healthy choice” retailers do a lot of talking about so-called “humane meat.” Whole Foods even has various levels of “humaneness” that farms can achieve by promising that their operations meet certain criteria. Whole Foods prefers farms that are marketed as:

“free-range,”

“small-scale,”

“organic,”

“family-operated,”

and similarly pleasant-sounding farms that make you feel like you are not part of the problem but are part of the solution. But this is marketing BS / hogwash bologna.

As the general population becomes more aware of the cruelty inherent in animal agriculture, meat & dairy companies are changing their labels

“cruelty free”

“humanely raised”

“grass fed”

They think that with a few reassuring words and a pretty picture of a farm, the American consumer can be easily fooled into believing that no animals were harmed in the production of the flesh and body fluids beneath the plastic. But we should know better. And people are being lied to and under cover reporting by the likes of 60 minutes whos researched supposedly “humanely raised” farms used by Chipotle & Whole Foods etc have exposed this wide scale scam which uses false marketing narratives that are not based on truth.

THIS is simply CREATIVE MARKETING to make you feel less bad about the life you are taking in order to feed yourself when you don’t need to be doing so.

Exploiting & killing animals to eat their body parts can never be humane.

The only humane meal is a vegan one.

I eat meat because I enjoy eating meat, it's not any more complicated than that. It's certainly not because I'm stupid. It's never a good sign when people resort to logical fallacies like argument by assertion and straw men. The synthetics are not as good. Maybe they will get better, but I do doubt they will ever be the same.

I eat meat because I enjoy eating meat, it's not any more complicated than that. It's certainly not because I'm stupid. It's never a good sign when people resort to logical fallacies like argument by assertion and straw men. The synthetics are not as good. Maybe they will get better, but I do doubt they will ever be the same.

I hate to burst your bubble, but exactly how do you think animals live and die in the wild? Do you have an image of some sort of Disney cartoon in which animals are hopping about carefree, and die peacefully with hospice care? The life of most wild animals is a difficult one, and death is rarely quick or painless. While I strongly support efforts to treat domesticated animals with kindness, this is not because I believe wild animals are running around happy most of the time. I do buy eggs that are marked as being pasture-raised and certified cruelty-free by the humane society, and also buy milk/butter from pasture-raised cows. But the fact that you're vegan and not just vegetarian means you've taken it to a sort of religious and, pardon me for saying this, not quite rational level. What is the logic in avoiding eggs from birds who've been treated well, and certainly not suffering?

As of as little as two years ago, I loved eating omelettes and chicken.

Then one day I stopped eating eggs & chicken and that was the day I learned that almost all male chicks of egg-laying breeder hens ARE grounded up alive [EVEN at “Humane Organic Farms” because they are unable to lay eggs and are not bred to produce excessive flesh for the meat industry, so they are horrifically killed a few days after their birth].

Every year, 200 million+ of these innocent baby boy ? chicks are ground up alive or tossed into bags to suffocate, so that you can eat your “humanely raised” eggs and chicken.

I stand in solidarity with these boys who are ground up alive and I will never stop sharing this knowledge with others who are usually in disbelief and flabbergasted that this is the TRUTH. It’s nothing that we teach in schools and it’s never been widely known until recently.

Ellen, on her show, shared her own feelings and reaction to this information and is why she said that she decided to live a vegan lifestyle with her wife Portia.

Most of us have no idea about the cruelties of how the food industry operates in order to feed the billions on this planet. However, once you learn about it, it’s something you never will forget and your perspective is changed.

As of as little as two years ago, I loved eating omelettes and chicken.

Then one day I stopped eating eggs & chicken and that was the day I learned that almost all male chicks of egg-laying breeder hens ARE grounded up alive [EVEN at “Humane Organic Farms” because they are unable to lay eggs and are not bred to produce excessive flesh for the meat industry, so they are horrifically killed a few days after their birth].

Every year, 200 million+ of these innocent baby boy ? chicks are ground up alive or tossed into bags to suffocate, so that you can eat your “humanely raised” eggs and chicken.

I stand in solidarity with these boys who are ground up alive and I will never stop sharing this knowledge with others who are usually in disbelief and flabbergasted that this is the TRUTH. It’s nothing that we teach in schools and it’s never been widely known until recently.

Ellen, on her show, shared her own feelings and reaction to this information and is why she said that she decided to live a vegan lifestyle with her wife Portia.

Most of us have no idea about the cruelties of how the food industry operates in order to feed the billions on this planet. However, once you learn about it, it’s something you never will forget and your perspective is changed.