What's your definition of a "millennial"?

MrMattBig
This topic is 1720 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My parents told me of the importance of compounding interest and saving early....

84274681-vector-illustration-of-cartoon-the-ant-and-the-grasshopper.jpg

You lived in a different world with different rules.

Your parents would have told Zuckerberg to get his degree and Bill Gates to get out his garage and get a job at IBM. I invested in the city when it was as shithole and folks called me crazy then.

1) college tuition rates have exploded (and a degree is MANDATORY, even for many, many entry-level positions)

2) rental costs / real estate has exploded

3) wage growth has not even close to kept up with 1 & 2

Just for fun, plugging into various inflation calculators online, 1,500$ in 1975 would be around 7,000$ today

1500 a year tuition at a top ten med school?! It cost me 35,000 in tuition a year for my middle of the road state med school (my friends from out of state were paying 60k plus for tuition) - 12,000 for tuition per year undergrad at my state school

- I won’t go into all the specific ways that our universities are just squeezing every penny out of students, but they have found *such* creative ways (coursepacks, online problem sets, lab fees, etc)

Boomers, the world is not the same and no amount of avoiding Avocado Toast is going to save my generation - I’m very thankful for the generosity of my Boomer clientele, but please, be real about how things are

exactly! Besides folks from China, India, Brazil, etc competing directly with Americans in most jobs because of something called the internet... Housing (owning and renting) is more expensive, being white isn't enough to be successful, and the cities aren't dangerous.

It's a different world!

How to compare one generation to another. Boomers did good things but they all wanted to be rich and have a big house too, not all of them were able to do it.

Man has blamed the failure of youth since the time of Socrates.

I hear Bill Mahler whine about millennials every week on his show, a reminder old habits die hard.

If one looks at the writing skills of Fredrick Douglass (I'm reading his bio!) and Alexander Hamilton, one might assume we've really slumped, but perhaps there is a reason the artifacts of their writing have survived. Society likely always had an abundance or poor writing, just as we see now on the Internet.

You lived in a different world with different rules.

Your parents would have told Zuckerberg to get his degree and Bill Gates to get out his garage and get a job at IBM. I invested in the city when it was as shithole and folks called me crazy then.

exactly! Besides folks from China, India, Brazil, etc competing directly with Americans in most jobs because of something called the internet... Housing (owning and renting) is more expensive, being white isn't enough to be successful, and the cities aren't dangerous.

It's a different world!

How to compare one generation to another. Boomers did good things but they all wanted to be rich and have a big house too, not all of them were able to do it.

Those two (neither millennials--Gates is a boomer and Zuckerber is Gen X) worked their asses off. The Millennials I see keep shouting "We don't have to work! FMLA!". I suppose I won't be around when they're 65 and find they haven't saved enough to retire. It's their right not to work. I'm not sure they've thought of the consequences carefully.

the-ant-and-the-grasshopper.jpg

My dad invested religiously and left Mom very well taken care of.

Trouble is he died young and had huge death bed regrets, that he did not have more fun times in life.

I hope you ants out there take time to enjoy each day. I expect you grasshoppers will survive fine without the critique of the ants, come what may.

Those two (neither millennials--Gates is a boomer and Zuckerber is Gen X) worked their asses off. The Millennials I see keep shouting "We don't have to work! FMLA!". I suppose I won't be around when they're 65 and find they haven't saved enough to retire. It's their right not to work. I'm not sure they've thought of the consequences carefully.

I know... but they're the example Millennials follow!

I think you're meeting the wrong kind of young guys, the ones I meet are multitaskers by nature and as the only way the can keep up with a changing reality, apps, etc. created by open-minded folks like them.

Retirement, not at 65 for sure! They might live till 100 with so many innovations.

I hope you ants out there take time to enjoy each day. I expect you grasshoppers will survive fine without the critique of the ants, come what may.

Trust me "Work hard, play hard" is my motto. I've visited every US state, every Canadian province except Newfoundland & Labrador, and most countries in the Western Hemisphere (missing Bermuda, Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua, Venezuela, the Guyanas, Ecuador, and Bolivia), most European countries (as of October, I'll be missing Iceland, Belarus, Moldova, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Andorra, San Marino, and Malta). Also seen quite a bit of Asia and Africa, plus much of Australia and New Zealand. My fiance and I have talked about taking our honeymoon in Kenya and Madagascar (he's very eager for the former and I the latter).

I still don't know how I'll get to Newfoundland/Labrador. I don't even see any cruises stopping there, except the occasional repositioning cruise. I guess after I retire I could take a repositioning cruise to hit N/L and Iceland, although Iceland probably deserves more than a couple of days. My boo and I love traveling together.

I've visited every US state, every Canadian province except Newfoundland & Labrador, and most countries in the Western Hemisphere (missing Bermuda, Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua, Venezuela, the Guyanas, Ecuador, and Bolivia), most European countries

Wow, that's some travel history. I'm only just over half way through the 50 states and three provinces but every continent, But I'm not a millennial.

Wow, that's some travel history. I'm only just over half way through the 50 states and three provinces but every continent, But I'm not a millennial.

But you're bloody Australian. Get with it boy. What kind of travel history is that for an Australian … three provinces. phhhttt

I am like profoundly like embarrassed for calling the Maritimes the Atlantics. Like I should have known better.

Well, you were pretty close. The Maritimes are in the Atlantic time zone, so that could be a source of confusion. Also, "Atlantic Canada" refers the Maritimes (New Bruswick, Nova Scotia, and PEI) plus Newfoundland & Labrador (which has its own time zone).

The Maritimes, also called the Maritime provinces (French: Provinces maritimes) or the Canadian Maritimes, is a region of Eastern Canada consisting of three provinces: New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island (PEI).

Atlantic Canada, also called the Atlantic provinces, is the region of Canada comprising the four provinces located on the Atlantic coast, excluding Quebec: the three Maritime provinces – New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island – and the easternmost province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

So, depending on what you meant, the proper wording would have been either "the Maritimes" or "Atlantic Canada" (or "the Atlantic Provinces").

As an Australian, you might actually know about the Atlantics:

The Atlantics are an Australian surf rock band founded in 1961. Initially, the band lineup consisted of drummer Peter Hood, bassist Bosco Bosanac, Theo Penglis on lead and rhythm guitar, and guitarist Eddy Matzenik. Matzenik was replaced by Jim Skaithitis while the band was still in its earliest stages.

jumbo_1415.jpg

https://theatlantics.com/

LOL. My Aussie geography probably sucks.

Down to my Dad, from 1642-1920s my paternal lineage all located province New Brunswick, well, prior to 1784 would have been labelled differently.

What is statistically rare is the 50-50 offspring gender binary where for several generations over 300 years I am the product of males, thus maintaining a derivative of the original European name.

It theoretically should end unless my brother's son has male offspring bearing our surname ... the odds are 1:1 yet astrononomical for a 380 year span.

Like I like don't like know like exactly like what like a Millenial like is like like as in simile to, but like they like sure like using like a lot like of like superfluous like words like for like a generation like apparently liking verbal like efficiency, like ...

Using "like" in this way is referred to as valley girl talk sometimes as it is predominantly a southern California thing. Not necessarily a Millennial thing, but I can see many regardless of geographical position talking this way because of cultural appropriation. After all, who wouldn't want the perfect weather of sunny Southern California??

"Like" is a linguistic filler or slang interjection that dates back more than a century, including use often at the end of sentences in many British Isles dialects. I had heard it among Irish Maritimers long before the Valley Girl habit.

It drives me loony hearing young people use it hundreds of times in relatively short speech passes. Simply a bad habit and any young person I interview not able to course correct would likely not move to the next stage.

Young Québecois folks tend not to express an equivalent in French but unfortunately pick it up from Anglophones peers. Many Southeast Asians come to my city for English immersion and also pick it up.

To me, millennials are defined by the technology they were first introduced to and what the world was like when they first began to understand it. My first phone was rotary. I watched the Berlin wall fall down. I used an actual map to get around in my car. I thought I was ready for Y2K. I am not a millennial. I don't care what you say - and I mean that in a Generation X way.

To me, millennials are defined by the technology they were first introduced to and what the world was like when they first began to understand it. My first phone was rotary. I watched the Berlin wall fall down. I used an actual map to get around in my car. I thought I was ready for Y2K. I am not a millennial. I don't care what you say - and I mean that in a Generation X way.

They have a new thing called X-ennials, which are basically people who saw the transition to the digital age. I definitely lump myself in this. My family was more working class so we had an old black-and-white MacBook classic that barely connected to the Internet and didn't have a cell phones at all although some wealthier friends had them. We didn't get a CD player until I was in high school and never had cable television. But by the time I got to college, I had a iMac and fast Internet and AIM, Livejournal and MySpace accounts. I'm the same age as Mark Zuckerburg and actually was visiting a friend who went to Harvard over Thanksgiving and read in the Crimson about how these Winklevoss twins were pissed of that Mark took their idea for a company. I didn't actually get a Facebook account until the next spring.

But for people born a few years later, social media was a huge thing even during high school and everyone had cell phones connected to the Internet. That's the big difference between Millenials and Generation X/Y/Xennials.

They have a new thing called X-ennials, which are basically people who saw the transition to the digital age. I definitely lump myself in this. My family was more working class so we had an old black-and-white MacBook classic that barely connected to the Internet and didn't have a cell phones at all although some wealthier friends had them. We didn't get a CD player until I was in high school and never had cable television. But by the time I got to college, I had a iMac and fast Internet and AIM, Livejournal and MySpace accounts. I'm the same age as Mark Zuckerburg and actually was visiting a friend who went to Harvard over Thanksgiving and read in the Crimson about how these Winklevoss twins were pissed of that Mark took their idea for a company. I didn't actually get a Facebook account until the next spring.

But for people born a few years later, social media was a huge thing even during high school and everyone had cell phones connected to the Internet. That's the big difference between Millenials and Generation X/Y/Xennials.

Never have heard this term, but what you described is why I feel Millennials get a bad wrap sometimes.

I am a millennial and almost all of the things you mention apply to me as well, but just in high school not college. Hell, I even used my mom's stereo to record from the radio on CASSETTES and used her old Walkman when I got my first job. I think it a mixed bag with Millennials and that stereotypes that are associated. I would say they apply more to the upper ages of Gen z and the younger ages of Millennials.