411 on Bear Week in Sitges/BCN?

Deadlift1
This topic is 1747 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thinking about going to bear week this September in Sitges Spain. The only info here is dated. Anyone actually been? Do u need to stay in Sitges for it or can I commute from Barcelona? I know it will be a problem to find accommodations so close to the first week in September. Thanks

Edited by Deadlift1

The train journey between Barcelona and Sitges is quite rapid, and the trains run frequently. Just make sure that where you stay in the city is close to the station you will use. Google the exact info and timings you need.

Barcelona is so popular year-round that it pays to book a place to stay ahead of time or use online sites to find a last-minute deal. The 1st week after the Summer holidays of August is a busy time for visitors. That said, if your prime reason for going is Bear Week, why wouldn’t you stay in the town of Sitges?

I was in Barcelona and Sitges in May. Sitges is very nice.

However the last train from Sitges to Barcelona is 22:25, a hassle if a bear event occurs in the evening. For the train (RENFE) you also have to pre-select your departure time; they are not open tickets. A return fare is not much cheaper, so many people just purchase one-ways as they need. I do not think the train allows 'standing room'.

There is a longer bus ride that runs all night from near the train station to various points in BCN, but then you also have to choose a place that you can get to from train and bus stations late at night in the city. I believe you can obtain a T-10 pass and I think it is Zone 3 to BCN-Sitges. However, I have not taken the bus. The day and night buses are two different companies and the final BCN destinations are different at night compared to day.

There are virtually no Airbnb "entire place" options those dates in Sitges south of the train tracks.

A quick Booking hotel search for the 11 nights in Sitges reveals exorbitant prices.

The planning at this stage sounds daunting. I guess you had better check accommodations prospects before committing to a flight. Commuting will require much organizing and attentiveness.

Catalunya has regulated stay platforms such as Airbnb. The inventory for entire place is lower and pricier than in the past. Renting a room in somebody's home has more flexible rules imposed by the gov't.

Edited by SirBIllybob

The train journey between Barcelona and Sitges is quite rapid, and the trains run frequently. Just make sure that where you stay in the city is close to the station you will use. Google the exact info and timings you need.

Barcelona is so popular year-round that it pays to book a place to stay ahead of time or use online sites to find a last-minute deal. The 1st week after the Summer holidays of August is a busy time for visitors. That said, if your prime reason for going is Bear Week, why wouldn’t you stay in the town of Sitges?

Not really. I am visiting a friend who lives in Lisbon for 10 days. He suggested I meet him in BCN for a few days first and thought a day or two in sitges would be doable. Sitges is booked. I might need to rethink. Thanks

I was in Barcelona and Sitges in May. Sitges is very nice.

However the last train from Sitges to Barcelona is 22:25, a hassle if a bear event occurs in the evening. For the train (RENFE) you also have to pre-select your departure time; they are not open tickets. A return fare is not much cheaper, so many people just purchase one-ways as they need. I do not think the train allows 'standing room'.

There is a longer bus ride that runs all night from near the train station to various points in BCN, but then you also have to choose a place that you can get to from train and bus stations late at night in the city. I believe you can obtain a T-10 pass and I think it is Zone 3 to BCN-Sitges. However, I have not taken the bus. The day and night buses are two different companies and the final BCN destinations are different at night compared to day.

There are virtually no Airbnb "entire place" options those dates in Sitges south of the train tracks.

A quick Booking hotel search for the 11 nights in Sitges reveals exorbitant prices.

The planning at this stage sounds daunting. I guess you had better check accommodations prospects before committing to a flight. Commuting will require much organizing and attentiveness.

Catalunya has regulated stay platforms such as Airbnb. The inventory for entire place is lower and pricier than in the past. Renting a room in somebody's home has more flexible rules imposed by the gov't.

Thank you Sir Bob. I am finding out the same. I might stay the entire time in Portugal and save BCN for another time.