Montreal Customs

lerbut23
This topic is 1769 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Making a weekend trip for the first time in more than a decade. Traveling alone - any issues with getting through customs since I’m not visiting anyone there, don’t know anyone there, traveling alone etc.

Thanks for any input.

I assume you are flying, and from USA?

I am Canadian and it is paperless when I return and I don't need the electronic declaration card because I only need to report any goods brought back. It is all very quick. Kiosks are plentiful.

Go to the Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport website ... www.admtl.com, to Guide tab, to Landing in Montreal tab, to one of the many origin tabs (eg, from USA with American passport). It is all laid out.

I assume if you cannot use the smartphone/app method there must be a way to do it with forms and/or more elaborate info provision on the kiosk screen on arrival.

Possible delay issues might be if the kiosk camera "thinks" the photo it takes does not match your passport photo (likely rare), or pulled aside for fast and efficient luggage inspection at final exit stage.

There are helpful roaming attendants in the kiosk zone.

IF COMING FROM SOMEWHERE MORE OBSCURE, heed that you may need to satisfy fingerprint biometrics, and that sometimes needs to be set up in your country of origin.

------

Optionally, you can relay to the border patrol officer (if hunky) that a Montreal strip club subsection of a gay travel forum was very helpful in describing the process.

Edited by SirBIllybob

I assume you are flying, and from USA?

I am Canadian and it is paperless when I return and I don't need the electronic declaration card because I only need to report any goods brought back. It is all very quick. Kiosks are plentiful.

Go to the Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport website ... www.admtl.com, to Guide tab, to Landing in Montreal tab, to one of the many origin tabs (eg, from USA with American passport). It is all laid out.

I assume if you cannot use the smartphone/app method there must be a way to do it with forms and/or more elaborate info provision on the kiosk screen on arrival.

Possible delay issues might be if the kiosk camera "thinks" the photo it takes does not match your passport photo (likely rare), or pulled aside for fast and efficient luggage inspection at final exit stage.

There are helpful roaming attendants in the kiosk zone.

IF COMING FROM SOMEWHERE MORE OBSCURE, heed that you may need to satisfy fingerprint biometrics, and that sometimes needs to be set up in your country of origin.

------

Optionally, you can relay to the border patrol officer (if hunky) that a Montreal strip club subsection of a gay travel forum was very helpful in describing the process.

Most of the customs inspectors are quite hunky :)

I bring a ton of condoms and lube tubes to Brazil, and always have a lot left over that are kept in a clear transparent vinyl case sitting on top in my hold-checked suitcase. I got stopped for luggage inspection returning to Montreal. Cute agent, presumably Little Italy bred. I was tired following well into two-figure number of travel hours.

He commented on the involuntary facial tic I get only very occasionally if fatigued and if rattled by a full day of incessant wailing of miserable children on a flight. I worried that he thought I had something to hide. I didn't; I follow the rules.

Then he looks down at the sex prep kit, pauses but says nothing and rummages for a second through surrounding clothing, quickly zipping up and releasing me into the night saying nothng.

Tell the truth, "your coming as a tourist to check out the sights and clubs".

If you dont tell the truth and they think your not they will investigate you further and cause you delays.

I agree with Taz. Just be honest.

I fly into Montreal from the US roughly every other month. I decided years ago to just be honest when explaining the reason for my trip to the immigration officers. I tell them I am in Montreal to hang out in the gay village and to go to male strip clubs. Only once in 20 years have I been sent for secondary screening. I think they appreciate the honesty.

I agree with Taz. Just be honest.

I fly into Montreal from the US roughly every other month. I decided years ago to just be honest when explaining the reason for my trip to the immigration officers. I tell them I am in Montreal to hang out in the gay village and to go to male strip clubs. Only once in 20 years have I been sent for secondary screening. I think they appreciate the honesty.

Why did they send you to "secondary inspection" that one time in 20 years? I'm guessing it's purely a random lottery thing?

After my 17 trips visiting Montreal alone since May 2005, I was sent to "secondary inspection" this year. I basically visit Montreal by myself once or twice a year. The Canadian airport customs guy claimed I appeared "nervous" and that I didnt want to tell them who I was really visiting in Montreal. HaHa.

I had to literally go through 5 different security checkpoints and people at the "Inspection office". After they let me go I thought I was in the clear; however, when I got my luggage and was leaving they sent me again to another "third inspection" with my luggage.

When I got off the plane at YUL, I made the mistake of using the very first kiosk directly in front of the border agents glass-desk booth where all the agents are standing and observing every action. They claimed I appeared nervous and my hands were trembling and they didn't believe I was visiting alone or that I didn't know anybody in Montreal after 15 years. Plus, there was nobody there and they were not busy at all. It's like they had nothing to do.

My advice when getting of the airplane at YUL and going through Canadian Customs is to use the kiosk FURTHERST AWAY from the border agents glass desk that they sit at. This way they can't really observe if your hands are shaking or whatever. Thank God I had a smartphone with Wi-Fi at the airport, because they forced me to prove I had a return ticket on Delta airline 4 days later like I claimed on my customs card. No one has their return ticket printed out until minutes before departing, as nowadays mostly everything is electronic.

This is the first time I ever had any issues or delays at YUL. It delayed me by an hour. I always give the same truthful answers about visiting the Village and the restaurants and strip clubs , etc. but that day you could tell they just weren't believing me. Made me feel totally unwelcome and like a criminal. I basically had to "out" myself as a homosexual tourist visiting homosexual strip clubs in the Village. As a mostly closeted man it wasn't comfortable. It seems to be getting worse. not better.

When returning to the USA I have to go through USA Customs at YUL before departing Montreal. When I told the USA Customs officer the reason for my visit was "for the restaurants and strip clubs" he burst out laughing and said "that's what his place is for" and waived me through.

Innocent people harassed by Canadian Customs officers:

1.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/woman-strip-searched-at-airport-says-she-s-traumatized-by-treatment-1.5168892

2.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/travellers-complain-cbsa-officers-rude-1.4809386

Edited by twinkboylover28

Why did they send you to "secondary inspection" that one time in 20 years? I'm guessing it's purely a random lottery thing?

After my 17 trips visiting Montreal alone since May 2005, I was sent to "secondary inspection" this year. I basically visit Montreal by myself once or twice a year. The Canadian airport customs guy claimed I appeared "nervous" and that I didnt want to tell them who I was really visiting in Montreal. HaHa.

I had to literally go through 5 different security checkpoints and people at the "Inspection office". After they let me go I thought I was in the clear; however, when I got my luggage and was leaving they sent me again to another "third inspection" with my luggage.

When I got off the plane at YUL, I made the mistake of using the very first kiosk directly in front of the border agents glass-desk booth where all the agents are standing and observing every action. They claimed I appeared nervous and my hands were trembling and they didn't believe I was visiting alone or that I didn't know anybody in Montreal after 15 years. Plus, there was nobody there and they were not busy at all. It's like they had nothing to do..

I felt my only secondary inspection upon arriving in Canada was purely random. They looked through my suitcase and asked me a few additional questions and then I was released. It was no big deal in my case. I did not feel harassed and it only delayed my departure from the airport by an additional 10 minutes or so.

When they ask me if I know anyone in Montreal I tell them the truth: I know some people and strippers at Stock Bar. That has always satisfied them.