Cell phones during meetings

MidAndy
This topic is 1781 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ok, I need advice. I met 19 yo guy thru seekingarrangements. We planned to discuss the details over coffee. So we chatted for about 10 min, and he spent the majority of the time texting with his friends. I ended up leaving and said that if he has time and wants to meet, let me know.

I don't want to sound like an old fart and complain about *this generation*, but I would appreciate any advice on how to keep communication pleasant and productive.

Did you try: I really feel more comfortable speaking with someone when they are not on their phone. If this is a bad time or an urgent issue has arisen, , then let me know and we can for from there. . In our interactions, I will expect that your phone will be off, so if that is a deal breaker, it is best we have it settled now. Friendly, straight forward and to the point. Clear communication so there is no confusion.

Did you try: I really feel more comfortable speaking with someone when they are not on their phone. If this is a bad time or an urgent issue has arisen, , then let me know and we can for from there. . In our interactions, I will expect that your phone will be off, so if that is a deal breaker, it is best we have it settled now. Friendly, straight forward and to the point. Clear communication so there is no confusion.

Yeah... I’ve had this happen and usually a gentle reminder works... “Is this a bad time? Perhaps we can meet a different day.” is usually sufficient.

My experience is that for the guys who do this it’s perfectly normal and they have no clue that it’s bothersome to me. The “perhaps another day” is a not so subtle “you get $0”.

Ok, I need advice. I met 19 yo guy thru seekingarrangements. We planned to discuss the details over coffee. So we chatted for about 10 min, and he spent the majority of the time texting with his friends. I ended up leaving and said that if he has time and wants to meet, let me know.

I don't want to sound like an old fart and complain about *this generation*, but I would appreciate any advice on how to keep communication pleasant and productive.

Hopefully while having sex he won't check his phone... Make sure he know that in advance.