411 US Mobile Passport

Reisr30
This topic is 1775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have global entry which I think is great. Last time I arrive via JFK I notice the line for global entry include people with mobile passports. Curious if it’s worth signing up for it. Anyone have any experience and would recommend it? Seems like similar to the streaming services CBP, tsa, others are trying to monetize services (e.g. global entry, tsa pre, mobile passport...).

I have global entry which I think is great. Last time I arrive via JFK I notice the line for global entry include people with mobile passports. Curious if it’s worth signing up for it. Anyone have any experience and would recommend it? Seems like similar to the streaming services CBP, tsa, others are trying to monetize services (e.g. global entry, tsa pre, mobile passport...).

I've used it several times and it's actually better than Global Entry because fewer people use it (so far). Even at JFK there was no line at a busy time when 300 were in the normal line and a dozen at least in the Global Entry line (sometimes they're the same, but both my times at JFK they sent me through the airline employee line bc of Mobile Passport). You just walk through and scan the screenshot. You can only prepare it and get the code within 4 hours of arrival, so do it on the flight or as soon as landed. It saves your info for future use.

It was free but just recently they've started a charge. I think $15 per use?? I haven't used it since the fee started.

AAA+

btw- At least at Terminal 4 at JFK, coming in to the US, I would strongly recommend asking for a wheelchair if you're over a certain age. Even if you're not normally handicapped. The Terminal 4 walk to immigration is amazingly long, as in fractions of a mile long. And immigration there is an incredibly crowded zoo. IAD is just as crowded but not as long a walk and not as zoo-like. Charlotte is the easiest I've ever experienced. I haven't tried Philly, Newark or Atlanta yet and know to avoid coming into Miami.

btw- At least at Terminal 4 at JFK, coming in to the US, I would strongly recommend asking for a wheelchair if you're over a certain age. Even if you're not normally handicapped. The Terminal 4 walk to immigration is amazingly long, as in fractions of a mile long. And immigration there is an incredibly crowded zoo. IAD is just as crowded but not as long a walk and not as zoo-like. Charlotte is the easiest I've ever experienced. I haven't tried Philly, Newark or Atlanta yet and know to avoid coming into Miami.

I've had some of my worst arrival experiences in Atlanta. It is a major hub and gets way too crowded... :(

I've given up worrying about the 'immigration experience', it's going to be what it is, and I haven't had any recent horror experiences. That said, I've only used LAX, SFO or DFW (and only been able to use them while I fly Qantas, even when flying with them to JFK as those flights clear immigration at LAX). Perhaps I'll get to use some other gateways if I fly Singapore, Cathay, JAL or Air Canada, or arrive from Europe. And I'm not a US or Canadian passport holder so I can't use MP. I've arrived in Australia at Sydney,, Melbourne and Brisbane and there's not much difference.

Correction.

Mobile Passport is now $15 a year for the deluxe version that saves your passport info or still free for the basic version where you have to re-enter info. I asked friends and they say it's still faster at IAD than Global Entry. And of course an hour less than the regular lines.

?

I’ve always use Mobile Passport when entering NYC from abroad and i’m out of there in 15 min. I think it’s much better than Global Entry because it’s still not widely used, primarily because you can’t do it with every airline.

Thanks all! I think I’m going to try it out. Even if it’s $15 a year, that’s a bargain if it helps me get through cbp quicker...

It’s nice to have all options. MP doesn’t really require any vetting. GE does and requires time to get it along with biometrics/ interview.

It’s nice to have all options. MP doesn’t really require any vetting. GE does and requires time to get it along with biometrics/ interview.

Yes, but it's that vetting that never gets you a secondary inspection or further trouble.

GE will always be better for the frequent flyer because it's more comprehensive.

Yes, but it's that vetting that never gets you a secondary inspection or further trouble.

GE will always be better for the frequent flyer because it's more comprehensive.

My friend has a GE as well and he got secondary screening. So, not sure completely if that is accurate.

Yea but they declined my application and the local vetters made entires that should have corrected the DB and I still was rejected. No explanation.

Yea but they declined my application and the local vetters made entires that should have corrected the DB and I still was rejected. No explanation.

Another friend with GE got a verbal warning for failing to declare 2 bags of potato chips... for this reason, i don’t bother bringing anything back to eat. Although, other friends just declare food items them under the “souvenir” allowance.

If you applied for GE in LA - the wait time doubled as they closed the normal office which handled the interviews at TBIT at LAX - the agents were all "sent to the border" according to the agent a friend got on the telephone. I would suggest heading to Long Beach (a great GE office imho) to have your interview.

Interesting. Did they find what they were looking for? :)

In hindsight, perhaps a never say never ideology should be taken when it comes to CBP.

No... my friend is squeaky clean. He doesn’t even know how to use the Uber app. He told me other people (black and brown) were in the inspection rooms for a long time and saw several people being asked detailed questions regarding their mobile phones. Sometimes it can be a power trip designed to make one nervous...when my friend’s turn came up, they asked 2 questions about his visa status (he’s Canadian too) and he was on his way...but it took an eternity almost an hour just waiting for his turn. Plus, he has Nexus which is similar to GE and uses the same kiosks.

No... my friend is squeaky clean. He doesn’t even know how to use the Uber app. He told me other people (black and brown) were in the inspection rooms for a long time and saw several people being asked detailed questions regarding their mobile phones. Sometimes it can be a power trip designed to make one nervous...when my friend’s turn came up, they asked 2 questions about his visa status (he’s Canadian too) and he was on his way...but it took an eternity almost an hour just waiting for his turn. Plus, he has Nexus which is similar to GE and uses the same kiosks.

Ah. Gotcha.

That he was a NEXUS user with access to GE, but not GE first might have had something to do with it. He was approved on the Canadian side for NEXUS. Something tells me that US CBP would use that as an excuse to slow someone down if they wanted to.

Ah. Gotcha.

That he was a NEXUS user with access to GE, but not GE first might have had something to do with it. He was approved on the Canadian side for NEXUS. Something tells me that US CBP would use that as an excuse to slow someone down if they wanted to.

I believe NEXUS requires approval by both Canadian and American authorities... so not sure why he was selected. Perhaps it was pick on NEXUS card holder day.

Your experiences will be dependent on the airport you arrive into.

IAH the last time I went through there MP shared the regular line. GE has its own line and obviously my her shorter.

DFW the last time I went through there MP and GE shared the same line.

At JFK 4 Mobile Passports go through the airline employee "line" ( there's never one) or GE.

The $15 annual fee is only for the deluxe version that saves your info for next trip. Basic is free.

As several have said, applying for and getting an interview for Global Entry is a long term pain. If you dont have Pre Check it may be worth it but I already have Pre Check.

Thats the key factor....Global Entry for $100 includes PreCheck. Mobile Passport does not. If domestic PreCheck is worth the trouble of getting, Global Entry is better.

Maybe.