BRAVO to NBC

ValleyDwellerNorth
This topic is 6232 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just watched the season finale of HEROES for the second time. At the end of HEROES they had a promo for one of their new fall shows "The Bionic Woman" (calling Rick Munroe, resident classic TV expert). The promo was riveting. I am NOT a fan of makeovers, especially when it comes to TV shows and movies already done. However, this looked kick-ass!

NBC, it seems, is making a turn to sci-fi and good for them! Personally, I think our lives are filled with too much heartache, divorce, crime scene investigations, illnesses and other "real life" drama. Why then are so many shows that we turn to for entertainment and escape revolve around real life situations. HEROES was a brilliantly told story, credible character development with an awesome sci-fi twist that wasn't too geeky for the average Joe(and on this board, the average Mary).

Thanks NBC for the escape and for truly entertaining me this past season. I look forward to the reruns of HEROES.

Now if ABC's LOST can get their act together for their season finale then things will be good indeed.

BTW, HEROES must have the most HANDSOME looking cast on TV! Every male and female cast member are truly delightful to look at.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9844/untitledjn3.png

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/889/untitled1wf5.jpg

I've seen clips of it on youtube and it looks darker and more adult than the original. Personally, I was kind of disappointed since I have such fond memories of both The Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man. My family and I were living in a U.N. sponsored hotel (a refugee camp more or less) in a bad section of Buenos Aires. Watching these shows dubbed into Spanish and flickering on a huge late '50s black and white tv was the highlight of a less than desirable childhood. We would often begin fighting "bionically" after the shows ended much to our mothers' dismay, and there were always threats that we wouldnt be allowed to watch them anymore, but we always did!!

I'll give the show a chance, but I won't be too disappointed if it's canceled.

>Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man. My family and I

>were living in a U.N. sponsored hotel (a refugee camp more or

>less) in a bad section of Buenos Aires. Watching these shows

I seriously want to hug you. I hope life is better now?

>dubbed into Spanish and flickering on a huge late '50s black

>and white tv was the highlight of a less than desirable

>childhood. We would often begin fighting "bionically" after

>the shows ended much to our mothers' dismay, and there were

>always threats that we wouldnt be allowed to watch them

>anymore, but we always did!!

Thank goodness you had something to look forward to in an otherwise challenging childhood. How long were you living there?

When I would play "TV" with my friends they always made me play the damn robot on Lost in Space because I was usually the biggest kid. Bastards.

>When I would play "TV" with my friends they always made me play the damn robot on Lost in Space

At least they didn't make play the dog - like my daughter and her friend next door did with her little brother. :)

Ah ha! Another Lost in Space fan, VDN?

Just between you and I, I spent endless hours back in the day taping and memorizing every one of Dr. Smith's lines from the first season. I even ran away from home and flew out to Los Angeles in hopes of meeting Jonathan Harris.

Fortunately, I came to my senses and flew home after a week spent on the streets.

Yes, I was twisted back then, but I'm fine now. Ahem. :)

...Hoover

RE: BRAVO to NBC (spoiler contained)

I got into Heroes in January. I was truly surprised by the ending. Do you know how rare that is nowadays? (Hey, Adrian Pasdar pick me up too, send me to flights of fancy and let me explode in your arms too - heck, I take Milo, too)

I remember in early nineties when I had a roommate sitting and watching sitcoms with him and spouting bad dialog before the actors did. Telling my college roommate before the MASH finale would end Hawkeye flying out over the camp in a helicopter - that was obvious.

In Heroes - we knew the children would be safe. We knew Niki would triumph over Jessica; Sylar would be defeated. But that brotherly love would be the ending. Sappy, yes. But sometimes in our lives we need sappy.

>>Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man. My family and

>I

>>were living in a U.N. sponsored hotel (a refugee camp more

>or

>>less) in a bad section of Buenos Aires. Watching these

>shows

>

>I seriously want to hug you. I hope life is better now?

>

>>dubbed into Spanish and flickering on a huge late '50s black

>>and white tv was the highlight of a less than desirable

>>childhood. We would often begin fighting "bionically" after

>>the shows ended much to our mothers' dismay, and there were

>>always threats that we wouldnt be allowed to watch them

>>anymore, but we always did!!

>

>Thank goodness you had something to look forward to in an

>otherwise challenging childhood. How long were you living

>there?

>

>When I would play "TV" with my friends they always made me

>play the damn robot on Lost in Space because I was usually the

>biggest kid. Bastards.

O gosh, I wasn't going for sympathy but thanks, lol. Life was great up until my mom died a couple of years ago, now it's starting to get better again but it's a slow process. I was born in Chile and we left shortly after the military took over in 1973. My dad applied for asylum almost immediately but because my parents were communists (!!), there was a 4 year delay in our filing process. It wasn't until 1977 that we were given papers to enter this particular hotel with other refugees from various countries (the 70s were known as the Decade of the Dictator in South America). The hotel served as a last leg in the journey to asylum to countries taking in refugees at that time.

As in most situations, children find the time to be children no matter what their station in life is. My parents did a great deal to shield us from the poverty we lived under, we never went hungry, we were clothed and nothing bad ever happened to us. I still remember that summer morning in January 1978 when we left for the United States. The sun had just started to rise and we quietly left for the airport in a taxi, the driver (an Italian immigrant) bribed a cop so that we could enter the airport with no hassles, I remember my dad almost crying at this gesture of kindness. I remember the thrill of flying, of landing in Washington DC while it snowed, being introduced to cheeseburgers and feeling so alien because I couldn't understand anything that anyone was saying.

All in all it has been a good life. The only personally negative thing that I can point to is a lack of being intimate with people. I just can't shake the feeling that no matter what I do, people will always leave and I'll have to start establishing new friendships all over again and I just don't have the energy for that, lol.

>O gosh, I wasn't going for sympathy but thanks, lol. Life was

>great up until my mom died a couple of years ago, now it's

>starting to get better again but it's a slow process. I was

That is good news your life is starting to get better. I experienced the loss of my mom 4 years ago. I think time helps us live with the pain better as we truly never get over it.

>born in Chile and we left shortly after the military took over

>in 1973. My dad applied for asylum almost immediately but

>because my parents were communists (!!), there was a 4 year

Dude, seriously, you should write a book. This does sound like a good movie.

>happened to us. I still remember that summer morning in

>January 1978 when we left for the United States. The sun had

>just started to rise and we quietly left for the airport in a

>taxi, the driver (an Italian immigrant) bribed a cop so that

>we could enter the airport with no hassles, I remember my dad

>almost crying at this gesture of kindness. I remember the

>thrill of flying, of landing in Washington DC while it snowed,

>being introduced to cheeseburgers and feeling so alien because

>I couldn't understand anything that anyone was saying.

DUDE! Ask that this thread be deleted IMMEDIATELY, get a copyright and find a publisher! There is so much CRAP out there in the world to teach people about the lives of others. Your life story here is riveting, emotional and really brings to light what it is to appreciate America.

>All in all it has been a good life. The only personally

>negative thing that I can point to is a lack of being intimate

>with people. I just can't shake the feeling that no matter

>what I do, people will always leave and I'll have to start

>establishing new friendships all over again and I just don't

>have the energy for that, lol.

That does take a lot of energy. Are you "settled" down now? Do you foresee moving in the future? Are you with someone? Yes, my Barbara Walter's gene kicks in so PLEASE tell me to stop being nosy if I am. However, I just made scenes in my mind of your experience in DC.

>I got into Heroes in January. I was truly surprised by the

>ending. Do you know how rare that is nowadays?

That is a good point. It is very refreshing. LOST's season finale tonight was good but it couldn't hold a candle to HEROES' finale.

>In Heroes - we knew the children would be safe. We knew Niki

>would triumph over Jessica; Sylar would be defeated. But that

>brotherly love would be the ending. Sappy, yes. But sometimes

>in our lives we need sappy.

The ending did surprise me. Now, Nathon's and Peter's mom .. what the hell is her power? I am sure she has to have one. It will be interesting to see what she can do, if anything.

>

>The ending did surprise me. Now, Nathon's and Peter's mom ..

>what the hell is her power? I am sure she has to have one.

>It will be interesting to see what she can do, if anything.

Peter has been able to see the future in dreams. Since no one else has that power and Peter absorbs peoples power, my guess is that power came from his mother.

I have never seen a purplekow;

I never hope to see one;

I can tell you anyhow;

I'd rather see than be one

Help there is a purplekow in my mirror

I missed the first few episodes. Did Peter have that ability before he met Isaac. If he didn't it, just another application of Isaac's power.

I think it was Peter's father who had a power. His mother married the father to keep tabs on him.

Archived