Jake Gyllenhaal's and Tom Sturrbridge's Very Sad Double Bill is Comming To Broadway

This topic is 1726 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Sad, serious actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Tom Sturridge are bringing their sad, serious double act to Broadway. After a sold-out run at the Public Theater this spring, the two will perform Sea Wall/A Life at the Hudson Theatre (currently home to Burn This) this summer. The piece, an unlikely transfer to a Broadway stage, even a relatively smaller one like the Hudson, is made up of two monologues, both directed by Carrie Cracknell. Sea Wall, by Simon Stephens and starring Sturridge, is about a photographer named Alex. A Life, by Nick Payne and starring Gyllenhaal, is about a father named Abe. Both are quiet and sad, and about fun subjects like fatherhood and death. The actors will begin performances July 26 before the play opens August 8 and closes on September 29. Get ready for some light summer fare!

Vulture

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw the play yesterday and I liked it very much. It is about sad events but it raises some thoughtful questions. A Life performed by Gyllenhaal actually is very funny half the time. Both actors engage with the audience in a good way. After the performance there was a discussion with the actors led by one of the producers. Audience members could ask questions and the actors talked about what led them to the play and why they wanted to perform it. It added a lot to the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
I just discovered that Jake had been in a revival of Sunday in the Park with George. I didn't know he could sing (or perhaps he can't).

Did you see that, Foxy?

I did see Sunday in the Park with Jake. I had a second row Orchestra seat so was very close to the stage (and Jake). I’ve seen previous productions of the show but I thought this was the best I’d seen. Jake sings very well indeed. Months later after the show closed I got to meet him at a private screening of the movie Stronger. I told him how impressed I was with his performance. In fact I couldn’t take my eyes off him.