A gay wedding :(

bigjoey
This topic is 1864 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary Martin was the first to do "Annie Get Your Gun" live on TV in 1950s. Mary was from Texas, and played Annie with a Southern accent. But, she was also a slightly more likeable Annie because John Raitt played Frank Butler.

Mary was a bigger star, but not by much. That is something most productions of the musical seem to get wrong.

Mary Martin was the first to do "Annie Get Your Gun" live on TV in 1950s. Mary was from Texas, and played Annie with a Southern accent. But, she was also a slightly more likeable Annie because John Raitt played Frank Butler.

Mary was a bigger star, but not by much. That is something most productions of the musical seem to get wrong.

This reminds me of a production of Company I saw several years ago. The actor playing Joanne had the speaking voice down to where she sounded almost like Elaine Stritch. However, she had an absolutely beautiful singing voice, which did not serve her well when performing "The Ladies Who Lunch.

Love the little dance at the end. :)

100% Madeline Kahn, there was no one like her. And also, Stephen Sondheim, the best of the best.

Whenever I think of Madeleine Kahn, this ditty immediately comes to mind....

"They're always coming and going, and going and coming... and always too soon..."

Whenever I think of Madeleine Kahn, this ditty immediately comes to mind....

"They're always coming and going, and going and coming... and always too soon..."

one of my all-time favorites. too!......and Tex-Ma'am ain't too bad, either.......

This reminds me of a production of Company I saw several years ago. The actor playing Joanne had the speaking voice down to where she sounded almost like Elaine Stritch. However, she had an absolutely beautiful singing voice, which did not serve her well when performing "The Ladies Who Lunch.

Love the little dance at the end. :)

Before Annie, Mary Martin played Peter Pan in the Broadway musical and live of tv. After Annie, Mary was the original star of "The Sound of Music" on Broadway in 1959. I was wrong in writing she was not a major star.

I only saw Madeline once play a character in a musical on stage in New York. It was a concert version of Sondheim's "Anyone Can Whistle."

Angela Lansbury introduced the performance. I believe Bernadette Peters also had a major role.

Madeline was wonderful!

I only saw Madeline once play a character in a musical on stage in New York. It was a concert version of Sondheim's "Anyone Can Whistle."

Angela Lansbury introduced the performance. I believe Bernadette Peters also had a major role.

Madeline was wonderful!

I didn't see it, but I know of the show. Angela Lansbury originated the role of the crooked mayor (it was her first Broadway role). Madeline Kahn played the mayor in the 1995 benefit for the Gay Men's Health Crisis which Angela Lansbury narrated. Bernadette Peters played the character of Fay Apple, which Lee Remick originated.

I didn't see it, but I know of the show. Angela Lansbury originated the role of the crooked mayor (it was her first Broadway role). Madeline Kahn played the mayor in the 1995 benefit for the Gay Men's Health Crisis which Angela Lansbury narrated. Bernadette Peters played the character of Fay Apple, which Lee Remick originated.

I also remember a "Dreamgirls" concert with Audra McDonald, which was also recorded.