Long Live Rock

Rick Munroe
This topic is 1722 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was starting to think music was dead, that there were no more songs left and I'd be destined to listen to the same classic rock over and over. But now The Who have released their first studio album in 24 years, Roger Daltrey is singing new Pete Townsend songs and all is good with the world. :)

http://www.20minutos.es/data/img/2006/07/28/500582.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Wire_%28The_Who_album%29

The Guess Who have had a reunion of sorts too. Randy Bachman is still playing. There seems to be some sort of rock revival going on, and several "old" bands have been getting together. Some guys can't hit the high notes like they use to, but they just have to lower the key a bit.

Louis

Yes, lots of old groups are touring but not all of them are putting out new material, let alone good new material! The Who had become another oldies act but not any more. And thankfully, they didn't do the obligatory covers album that everyone's doing these days. This is a great album and socially relevant, too. :)

Guest TBinCHI

"I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of? A love there is no cure for...." Did I get the lyrics right? Sorry, but David Cassidy is no Roger Daltry!!!!

>"I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of? A love there

>is no cure for...." Did I get the lyrics right?

Almost, but that is not their best song. They went on to make 8 albums of really great pop/rock music (they had the top session players of the time) and David could really rock out on his solo albums. Don't knock my Partridges. :p

>The one person who has a hit in every decade since the 70's

>has been Elton John.

He's another one who has a great new album out; it's a sequel to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. Nice to hear him return to his roots after all of that Disney junk.

http://991.com/newgallery/Elton-John-The-Captain-And-T-369066.jpg

>"I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of? A love there

>is no cure for...." Did I get the lyrics right? Sorry, but

>David Cassidy is no Roger Daltry!!!!

I believe it is I think I love you so what am I so afraid of. I'm afraid that I'm not sure of a love there is no cure for. I think I love you isn't that what life is made for. And it worries me to say I've never felt this way. I am sleeping and right in the middle of a good dream.... well you can google the rest and now I will be deprived of many hours of sleep trying to wash this out of my brain. Let's see.... Oh sugar da da da da da da Honey honey da da da da da da you are my candy girl and you got me loving you.....oh honey...

" And Then There Were Two ". So now we have Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey are on the road in support of of the band's first album in just under quarter of a century. What's amazing is the longevity of these two characters who practically for a better part of more than 33yrs have had a love and hate relationship with eachother as song writing partners and more importantly in keeping this monster of a band alive. There is a risk though, tours come and go as they please with a built in audience, but releasing a batch of new songs in a time and age where there is no guarantee of commercial success. Especially as terrestrial radio no longer plays a lot of new material being released by older rock bands. Unfortunately the " Who " very much like most of what's left of their contemporaries fall into this category.

Flip the coin on it's axis is what is left is basic artistical achievement. The delightful quality is Pete Townsend's novella has inspired new tunes in the form of " Endless Wire ". It's sounds like a great Townsend solo record. Probably his best material since his own 1993 album " Psychoderelict " which I thought was absolutely fantastic for it's time. Musically, " Endless Wire " sounds like a reinvigorated Who as compared with " Who's Next ". Townsend's guitar playing is absolutely hypnotic to say the least. Daltrey's voice is darker, deeper and broodier. The mini opera of " Wire & Glass " which ironically takes up a good portion's second half of the ablum is pretty good and I hope if the song has any historical worth in the future, it should be rightfully compared to " Tommy ".

The one thing that can be said is Bassist John Entwistle is sorely missing on the album. He had a great wit which as some might point out became reliable black humour relief on all of the Who's early albums especially in angst towards Townend's overbearing personna who at times was at his most conceptual and offcourse his most argumentative state. Also still missed after all these years is the presence of Keith Moon. Both session bassist Pino Palladino and guest drummer Zack Starkey did terrific jobs with their contributions as a whole to the totality of the overall album.

As a listener I totally love the album, is it as socially conscience is comparision to let's say The Rolling Stones " A Bigger Bang ", probably not. To the credit of Roger Daltrey and offcourse Pete Townsend, they were brave enough to release a batch of new songs that despite lacking commercial appeal will endure artistical success. On the road they will play a handful of new material. The reality of the situation is unlike U2, most of the Who's fans still want to see the band perform most of their older material. It's not really the band's fault, radio can be blamed for this situation. For the most part, as the two surving members their best days are definitely very much behind them. They're not really relevant anymore in today's music scene. As a whole very much like the Rolling Stones, the " Who " are essentially an aging nostalgic act.

Ro.

• 12 years later...

The coming death of just about every rock legend. There's going to be an awful lot of mourning going on.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

The coming death of just about every rock legend. There's going to be an awful lot of mourning going on.

Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month).

https://theweek.com/articles/861750/coming-death-just-about-every-rock-legend

Keith Richards will live forever. After the Armageddon, he and a colony of cockroaches will be driving around in a Dodge minivan.