Giving Tuesday

KeepItReal
This topic is 1638 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Will you participate in 'Giving Tuesday'??

I have two charities I favor. One is particularly close to my heart - takes care of homeless youth on the streets of New York City, many of whom are LGBTQ and got kicked out by their families. It sounds cliche, but when you talk to these kids you find they are mostly from southern and mid western states. Heartbreaking - I am not a crier, but it is HARD to come face to face with their reality.

The firm I work for will match my gift on Tuesday, so I save up for the opportunity. :)

WEB-We-Are-Family.jpg

https://maps.org/

Psychedelic treatments for PTSD / depression / addiction / others

Matching donations until end of the year, hoping to bring mdma therapy to FDA approval for PTsD by 2021

(Personally meaningful, great potential for helping relieve suffering)

Againstmalariafoundation

Mosquito nets to prevent child mortality - one of the most bang for your buck charitable locations, consistently rated one of the best charities (low overhead and high impact)

givedirectly.org (what it sounds like - give money directly to people in poverty, they decide how to best use it)

Will you participate in 'Giving Tuesday'??

I have two charities I favor. One is particularly close to my heart - takes care of homeless youth on the streets of New York City, many of whom are LGBTQ and got kicked out by their families. It sounds cliche, but when you talk to these kids you find they are mostly from southern and mid western states. Heartbreaking - I am not a crier, but it is HARD to come face to face with their reality.

The firm I work for will match my gift on Tuesday, so I save up for the opportunity.:)

Yes, I always give to the Ali Forney Center in NYC. As you indicated there are a lot of homeless LGBT youth in NYC - I believe San Fran and LA face some of the same problems, but NYC has always been a beacon of hope for these young people. They need all the help they can get. In fact, they opened the Bea Arthur Residence for this purpose a year or so ago (I will post a link below.). Give!! Dorothy Zbornak would approve!!

https://www.aliforneycenter.org/

FORNEY_ARTHURX400.jpg

Bea-Arthur-Ali-Forney-quote.jpg

I hate to sound like a grinch but (I've been watching football all day) and if I see another selfie pic of a player mugging for the camera while handing out a frozen turkey to a "needy person" in an obviously staged photo op I am going to VOMIT! And to add to the fakeness of it all the announcer ALWAYS says the same thing - "So and so player gives back to his community". They don't even change the script! The NFL is so shameless.

I hate to sound like a grinch but (I've been watching football all day) and if I see another selfie pic of a player mugging for the camera while handing out a frozen turkey to a "needy person" in an obviously staged photo op I am going to VOMIT! And to add to the fakeness of it all the announcer ALWAYS says the same thing - "So and so player gives back to his community". They don't even change the script! The NFL is so shameless.

But if it teaches a little kid watching the game that our communities are important, I will muddle through... ;)

I'll be giving + doing most of my Xmas shopping @ the official WWF site <3

Most people in my life are going to be getting an adoption kit + a copy of America: The Farewell Tour from me this year.

Can I interest you in a few charities that support our community? I mean, I like Rhinos and Elephants, but perhaps consider mammals of the human persuasion as well! ;)

If you would like to support a worthy cause, consider https://truecolorsfund.org

No pressure. Really. :cool:

I do get a kick out of the expressions on the athlete's faces, ranging from "Why the fuck did Jerry Jones make me come here this morning?", to genuine enjoyment making people happy for a day.

“United by a common purpose to be of service to others, #GivingTuesday provides an opportunity for us all to come together and support the causes in our communities that inspire us. Today, as millions around the world donate their time, talents, or a piece of their paychecks – or simply perform an act of kindness – let us be inspired by the spirit of #GivingTuesday and continue to be a force for positive change in our communities."

https://mauinow.com/2018/11/27/gabbard-recognizes-givingtuesday-as-opportunity-to-unite-country/

<3 <3 <3

• 1 year later...