They Shall Not Grow Old

LoveNDino
This topic is 1899 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 4 weeks later...

this is going to be fantastic.....

I know it's obvious and not a revelation, but I get SO used to jerky, grainy b and w film of anything pre-1940/1950 that I "forget" that the earlier times were just as colorful and clear as today is.......again, very obvious, of course, but watching this changes the entire atmosphere and mood of WW1......makes it seem closer and more "real".......

many lamented the colorization fad of classic b and w movies that occured a few years ago.......this is entirely different and it can only make the horrible warfare style of WW1 more palpable and tangible.....

this is going to be fantastic.....

I know it's obvious and not a revelation, but I get SO used to jerky, grainy b and w film of anything pre-1940/1950 that I "forget" that the earlier times were just as colorful and clear as today is.......again, very obvious, of course, but watching this changes the entire atmosphere and mood of WW1......makes it seem closer and more "real".......

many lamented the colorization fad of classic b and w movies that occured a few years ago.......this is entirely different and it can only make the horrible warfare style of WW1 more palpable and tangible.....

Amazing technical achievement. Just the trailer was emotionally moving. I am not sure about withstanding the emotional impact of the whole film.

Wish I had known that Warners had partnered with Fathom Events for an encore performance of Peter Jackson's World War I documentary They Shall Not Grow Old in 1,007 theaters. The doc scored a Fathom record with $3.4 million and, including grosses from a previous Fathom event, has earned $5.7 million in the U.S. (They Shall Not Grow Old is already available on DVD in the U.K., where it had a limited theatrical run before airing on the BBC).

we saw it this last Thursday in 3D.......entirely well-done production with no gruesome images held back......we stayed for the excellent 30-minute "postscript" by Jackson after the credits in which he explained the process of how they made/edited the movie and some of the challenges they faced.....

the only minor negative is that no film exists of the actual hand-to-hand battle (too dangerous for the cameramen!), so Jackson had to use magazine drawings during a battle sequence......and I don't know if the 3D helped.....as some of us might feel, even 3D isn't that realistic......

the entire movie contains steady voice-overs taken from actual comments made by survivors in 1960s/1970s interviews.......only British soldiers are featured and Jackson explains this in the "postscript"......great ribald song during the closing credits!!!

• 1 month later...