Sugar Is KILLING Us - Seriously

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1704 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My partner loves fresh fruit. Periodically, he forgets that it isn't a "free"food like green vegetables and starts putting away 4 or 5 servings in a day. Inevitably, he starts to put on belly fat. When he wonders why he's getting fat in spite of eating well, I always have to remind him to rein in the fruit. He makes that one change and in 2 or 3 weeks the gut is gone.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner loves fresh fruit. Periodically, he forgets that it isn't a "free"food like green vegetables and starts putting away 4 or 5 servings in a day. Inevitably, he starts to put on belly fat. When he wonders why he's getting fat in spite of eating well, I always have to remind him to rein in the fruit. He makes that one change and in 2 or 3 weeks the gut is gone.

You and your partner have a great approach to diet.

I’d also suggest Eat Right For Your Type by Peter D’adamo. It’s been a game-changer over the years. Since I’m an O+, the Paleo diet works for me. Interestingly, the bad foods are the ones I never really cared anyway, including peanut butter, sugars, orange juice and most fruits. I also start every day 800 ml of water. What a way to hydrate oneself!

[super Size Me] is not ridiculous.

Nothing personal, it's only ridiculous when trying to call it a documentary. It's more of a polemic while doing something that medical professionals will always say don't do, radically altering a diet suddenly. It's not even effective because the eating strategy depicted is so over the top, it doesn't resonant with the people who could be helped by making changes to their diet. As a movie, it's very good at making people who already feel superior about their eating habits feel even more smug. For those reasons, I don't recommend Super Size Me to people I would like to see improve their diet. I recommend Forks Over Knives.

Also recommended: Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us.

It's amazing how the junk food industry does somersaults getting us to eat junk, and how we keep doing it. And also how those in the highest positions changed after leaving the industry.

I really enjoyed reading it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/02/26/172969363/how-the-food-industry-manipulates-taste-buds-with-salt-sugar-fat

You'll also like the documentary "Fed Up", narrated by Katie Couric.

Watched this video last night.

It is eye opening. We have our own man made epidemic on our hands and no one has the courage to do anything about it.

Sugar is the new tobacco. If you don't believe me, watch the video and present a cogent argument that we don't have a clear and present danger to our health.

If a foreign nation did to our children what the food industry is doing to them, we would be at war with the perpetrator for selling poison (sugar) to our kids.

Bad time

I need to get my act together.

I go to Sprouts for better diet choices but bring home so much sugar. Their cookies and muffins are yummy. I'm so weak when it comes to temptation.

Maybe I should attempt cold turkey with sweets. Who is with me? Start tomorrow? :)

71KhMJeRybL._SY550_.jpg

Bad time of year to start. You're setting yourself up for failure.

I've watched French people grocery shop at Trader Joe's. They seem quite careful about what they were buying, the way they read the labels and ingredients of everything, and then had a short conversation before deciding. They do seem to focus more on quality then quantity.

I bet they were all height/weight proportionate. Were they?

Could be from all that cigarette smoking though...

A long time ago I cut most carbonated drinks from my diet -- outside of the occasional half-gallon "medium" Dr. Pepper at a movie theater. My preference became fruit juices. I love to pack a big cup with crushed ice and fill it with 100% pineapple or grapefruit or some other real fruit juice, avoiding the subtly marketed "cocktails" that mix a couple different juices with extra sweeteners. I could drink two or three on a long afternoon. My doctor noted that my blood sugar was running a bit high, and this led to a discussion about how fruit juices were marginally "better" and more nutritious than soft drinks but with a lot of the same consequences with regards to sugar intake. I had to cut back to my small glass of juice with breakfast.

I was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, so this post is timely. What some of you have been facing for years as diabetics and health-conscious individuals I'm trying to learn in a crash course. Some of my greatest challenges so far have been:

• building from a concise stable foundation of truth
  • sifting between Type I and Type II guidance
  • resolving conflicting opinions and information from seemingly credible opposing sources
  • drawing useful information from product packaging
  • keeping up with perishable food as a (former) twice-a-month grocery shopper
  • developing an expanding menu of quick-prep (or no-prep) safe meals

I appreciate many of the new sources that have come up in this thread.

One time, I was going through the checkout line at the grocery store. The checker was scanning my meat, fish, fresh vegetables, fruit, etc . She suddenly asked, "Who fixes all this?" I said, "I do."

She smiled and raised her eyebrows and didn't say anything.

One of my biggest problems these days. When it's time to eat I want to eat. I'm usually cooking for one, so I don't care to mess up half of the dishes in my kitchen for tonight's entré and a side for fifteen minutes of consumption and then a mass cleanup. In other words, as an adult I never got the hang of day-to-day cooking. So many of these diabetes diet sites are niche showoff sites for culinary mavens. I see too many complex (for me) recipes, and ones that don't really "keep" for three days of leftovers. I'm starting to find some stuff that I can make in big crockpot batches to eat half the week and freeze the rest.

There's a big market out there for diabetic and honestly healthy convenient food. Unfortunately, we mostly seem to get healthy-sounding offshoot brands from the big industry names, with off-white pastorally-themed packaging, and higher prices.

A long time ago I cut most carbonated drinks from my diet -- outside of the occasional half-gallon "medium" Dr. Pepper at a movie theater. My preference became fruit juices. I love to pack a big cup with crushed ice and fill it with 100% pineapple or grapefruit or some other real fruit juice, avoiding the subtly marketed "cocktails" that mix a couple different juices with extra sweeteners. I could drink two or three on a long afternoon. My doctor noted that my blood sugar was running a bit high, and this led to a discussion about how fruit juices were marginally "better" and more nutritious than soft drinks but with a lot of the same consequences with regards to sugar intake. I had to cut back to my small glass of juice with breakfast.

I was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, so this post is timely. What some of you have been facing for years as diabetics and health-conscious individuals I'm trying to learn in a crash course. Some of my greatest challenges so far have been:

• resolving conflicting opinions and information from seemingly credible opposing sources

One of my biggest problems these days. When it's time to eat I want to eat. I'm usually cooking for one, so I don't care to mess up half of the dishes in my kitchen for tonight's entré and a side for fifteen minutes of consumption and then a mass cleanup. In other words, as an adult I never got the hang of day-to-day cooking. So many of these diabetes diet sites are niche showoff sites for culinary mavens. I see too many complex (for me) recipes, and ones that don't really "keep" for three days of leftovers. I'm starting to find some stuff that I can make in big crockpot batches to eat half the week and freeze the rest.

There's a big market out there for diabetic and honestly healthy convenient food. Unfortunately, we mostly seem to get healthy-sounding offshoot brands from the big industry names, with off-white pastorally-themed packaging, and higher prices.

I don't much like leftovers, so my habit is to fix enough for one meal. I just did another bodybuilding contest. This time around I learned a lot about preparing food in advance, like bodybuilders do. I realized I'm a bodybuilder (not just somebody who's playing at bodybuilding) which incentivized me to start adopting the things that bodybuilders do. When we went to LA for the contest, I brought all of my meals pre-cooked and packed in a cooler. We drove to LA from SF and I brought healthy snacks for the road and a 2-liter jug of water. It was an amazing experience to have imposed that degree of control over my food.

I'm sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis. The best advice I can give you is to switch to a plant based diet. Having just watched the video "Fed Up", I don't trust any of the processed food companies.

A great book that will help you get on the right track is

https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Foods-Diet-Lifesaving-Longevity/dp/1478944919/ref=pd_ybh_a_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TZJQH3EDRD0Z03E1PFVJ

51yHuRxRBDL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can watch loads of videos on the benefits of plant based diet on health.

I'm also reading

41AWGRGBSyL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’ve never had diabetes, but I used to be quite obese. The “sugar busters” plan was one which worked for my chemistry/metabolism, etc. it’s developed by some diabetes specialty Docs. I’m not touting it just giving you another tool:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Busters!

Type 1 is difficult. I know of some people who got off medication from type 2 by a strict diet and exercise and losing weight. My cousin and a few acquaintances. Also know a few people who no matter what they do, never get off type 2 either.

Type 1 is tough though-I know one person who got it as a teen. If they ever make insulin shots in the form of a pill-it might be easier!

I am vegan. I consume no animal products, no processed foods, no extracted sugars and the only added fat in my diet is minimal use of extra-virgin olive oil.

Anything extracted: oils or sugars are indeed “processed”. Eat as much as you can foods in their natural state.

This includes fruit. Natural fructose from fruit is low glycemic which does not spike insulin in the body and the presence of fiber in the fruit is key to metabolizing.

I'm sorry to hear about your diabetes diagnosis. The best advice I can give you is to switch to a plant based diet. Having just watched the video "Fed Up", I don't trust any of the processed food companies.

A great book that will help you get on the right track is

https://www.amazon.com/Whole-Foods-Diet-Lifesaving-Longevity/dp/1478944919/ref=pd_ybh_a_13?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TZJQH3EDRD0Z03E1PFVJ

51yHuRxRBDL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also, if you are an Amazon Prime member, you can watch loads of videos on the benefits of plant based diet on health.

I'm also reading

41AWGRGBSyL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’ve never had diabetes, but I used to be quite obese. The “sugar busters” plan was one which worked for my chemistry/metabolism, etc. it’s developed by some diabetes specialty Docs. I’m not touting it just giving you another tool:

Thank you.

I am vegan. I consume no animal products, no processed foods, no extracted sugars and the only added fat in my diet is minimal use of extra-virgin olive oil.

Anything extracted: oils or sugars are indeed “processed”. Eat as much as you can foods in their natural state.

This includes fruit. Natural fructose from fruit is low glycemic which does not spike insulin in the body and the presence of fiber in the fruit is key to metabolizing.

This is a great post and the way to eat.

Now I’m hard... lol

Fiber is the unsung hero

You did something very patriotic going on a diet!

Genetic testing reveals I have an obesity gene. Although my physique looks average, I have a very high BMI..albeit, influenced by very muscular legs and glutes from endurance cycling in my younger years...but I have plenty of room for weight loss.

I’m also gluten free (non-celiac, but very gluten sensitive) and low lactose (causes rashes to break out on my back)

Having said that, two months ago, I also nixed added/discretionary sugar. I substituted kombucha for my daily ginger ale, nixed candy from the office snack machine, no OJ and started eating healthy does of fruit daily...excluding bananas (their sugar really jacks up my digestion)

The result: 15 lb weight loss with no other changes made!

I think I’ll keep going...

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing this good news with us, and treat yourself today on Thanksgiving dinner! ;) No rules today!