NYC Halloween week

Steven_Draker
This topic is 6305 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Revival of Chorus Line just opened to very good reviews.

Drowsy Chaperone was fun.

Avenue Q was a lot of fun but has been going on for a couple of years

and if you are a theater goer, you have probably seen it.

Spelling Bee was light-hearted fun.

Naked Boys Singing which is just that is an eyeful if not great theater.

Jersey Boys and History Boys are good if you are into Boys.

Those just came to me off the top of my head. Now there are more interesting things in smaller venues and limited runs but for big musical theater all of the above serve as a nice night's musical entertainment but none are what I would call must see.

Guest Jesse Dane

>Naked Boys Singing which is just that is an eyeful if not

>great theater.

I would advise against this in it's current venue unless you are fond of screaching bachelorette parties. It was fun when it was down in the west village, but now days it sucks from everything I am told.

Steven -

Several shows that were hits in smaller non-profits here in NY

last year are moving to Broadway.

Everyone I know who saw "Spring Awakenings" last year loved it.

Believe it's based on a Schnitzler play. "Grey Gardens" is moving

from Playwright's Horizons, has been re-worked a bit and is expected to be a big hit.

"Little Dog Laughed" a straight play gets raves from those who saw

it last year.

"Jersey Boys" is much better than you'd expect it to be. More than just the Four Seasons songs and if John Lloyd Young is still in it

worth the visit. Hard ticket and you'd probably be paying $350.00 per for premium seats. Petty cash for any number of your clients.

:-)

Thank you all for your suggestions.

>Drowsy Chaperone was fun.

I'll have to check that one.

>Avenue Q was a lot of fun but has been going on for a couple of years

Saw it last year and loved it.

>Spelling Bee was light-hearted fun.

I've heard it's fun.

>Everyone I know who saw "Spring Awakenings" last year loved it.

I'd love to check that one too.

>"Jersey Boys" is much better than you'd expect it to be

I'm still reluctant about it, but I know that many of you guys rave about it.

What about "Tarzan the Musical" by Elton John ?

Steven ~

http://www.rentboy.com/location/getrb.asp?rentboy=86358&Location=229

Steven

I'm 99% certain you'll like Jersey Boys. Its probably the most difficult ticket on Broadway right now. Yes you will have to spring for premium seats, but one of the few shows I feel is worth it. All the original cast is still in it and its a year old, but John Lloyd Young seems to miss quite a few performances. I expect that role is taking a toll on his voice.

Drowsy Chaperone is a little piece of fluff, but a fun 1 45 minutes. Tickets should be much more available.

I haven't seen Chorus Line yet- have tickets for the end of Dec, but most people love it, and I can hardly wait.

Wicked I'm pretty sure you've seen, but the second hardest ticket on Broadway. Haven't seen the current cast, but the show is the star here.

Times they are a changin is getting bad word of mouth. I've got tickets for end of Dec. Loved Movin Out, but even those that loved that one are giving a Thumbs Down on this one

Goin to Grey Gardens Sat. People loved it off Broadway and Christine Ebersole got raves and a slew of awards. Mixed word of mouth on the changes they've made for Broadway.

Color Purple Mixed reviews but I liked it. The tony winning lead just left. If you don't know the story this may leave you in the dust as they've crammed a lot of story into 2:45

Wedding Singer, only if you loved the movie, and even then...

Tarzan - a big disappointment from Disney, even tho Josh is kinda cute. The opening is good, but its all downhill from there. Go see Lion King again if you need a Disney fix.

Martin Short - this is a very funny evening but not a typical Broadway Musical SHow, more like a revue or a special event. Anyway, I'm not a huge MS fan, and I laughed a lot. They do a vignette with a "audience member". I believe Bette Midler is tonights audience special guest, so you may run into someone extra here, but you never-or seldom - know who the guest will be.

Altar Boyz, off broadway and an entertaining musical and usually a cute cast.

A Chorus Line might be a hard ticket to get, so try getting a ticket beforehand. Everyone I know who has seen it has raved about it. I will be seeing it on Thanksgiving night.

Jersey Boys is really good, so good, I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it and I was never 4 Seasons/Frankie Valli fan. If John Lloyd Young is still starring, you should get a great performance.

Sadly, the History Boys closed.

Do try and see the Drowsy Chaperone, everyone loves this amusing little musical, but beware, no intermission, so use the restroom before the performance, otherwise you'll be very uncomfortable in the last 30 minutes or so. LOL.

Sondheim's classic, Company, has begun previews, so that might also be a possibility. I'm set to see it next week.

Tarzan has the reputation of being a teenage girl musical. They're all gaga over American Idol finalist, Josh Strickland, but he looks so skinny and not very Tarzan-y. Still, I am told it's not that bad.

Can't recommend it. It hasn't been on my must see list.

No one's mentioned Grey Gardens starring Christine Ebersole and Mary Lousie Wilson. Based on the 70's documentary about the Beales, the infamous Aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy Onasis. Destitute and estranged from family and friends, they lived in a dilapidated 24 room mansion in the Hamptons infested with fleas, cats, and raccoons. Ebersole gives one of the greatest performances of her career. Wilson is excellent, also. Act One focuses on their lives back in 1941, when they were the toast of New York society. Act Two concentrates on the sad and unfortunate lives they experienced when the documentary was filmed in the 70's. Fascinating and disturbing is how I'd sum it up.

Enjoy your Halloween trip!

Ed

• 4 months later...

Archived