17 beautiful places to visit in India after historic gay sex ban ruling

Avalon
This topic is 2023 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

India is an amazing place. I'm heading back in December, but seeing Agra and New Delhi this time. Mumbai was fascinating and kinetic.

If I let local politics affect my yearning to see the world, I'd be like most Americans and just stay in the States.

Have a great time and please share your visit with us here. The Taj Mahal, The Red Fort, The Pearl Mosque etc..

I recommend visiting here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akshardham_(Delhi)

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting India and Indonesia way back in 1990 when my brother, who lived in Pekanbaru at the time working for Texaco’s Overseas Oil and Exploration Division, offered me a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We spent over 30 days extensively traveling around the two countries and toured Jaipur, Johdpur, and Udaipur, as well as Agra, Darjeeling, and Delhi, then popped over to Bali, Balikpapan, Borobudur, and Jakarta before ending up in Singapore. In India we stayed at some of the old Maharaja’s Palaces turned into hotels like the Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur and the Shiv Niwas Palace, Udaipur.

Among all the well known popular tourists sights we visited in India, one least known and off the beaten path was Khajuraho. Very interesting to say the least!

I’ll have to say this visit was one of the highlights of my life, along with the two years that I lived in Italy.

One thing I do remember about the 1990 trip was that it was long before India had all these Americanized fast food restaurants. It was literally almost eat their food or nothing. And I loved it. Turned out that one of my favorites was papadum. Still love it whenever I can still get it.
Good Indian food is among my favorites. The hotter and spicier, the better. :oops:

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting India and Indonesia way back in 1990 when my brother, who lived in Pekanbaru at the time working for Texaco’s Overseas Oil and Exploration Division, offered me a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We spent over 30 days extensively traveling around the two countries and toured Jaipur, Johdpur, and Udaipur, as well as Agra, Darjeeling, and Delhi, then popped over to Bali, Balikpapan, Borobudur, and Jakarta before ending up in Singapore. In India we stayed at some of the old Maharaja’s Palaces turned into hotels like the Umaid Bhawan Palace, Jodhpur and the Shiv Niwas Palace, Udaipur.

Among all the well known popular tourists sights we visited in India, one least known and off the beaten path was Khajuraho. Very interesting to say the least!

I’ll have to say this visit was one of the highlights of my life, along with the two years that I lived in Italy.

This sounds like one of my trips to India and Indonesia. We even stayed in the Shiv Niwas in Udaipur.

One thing I do remember about the 1990 trip was that it was long before India had all these Americanized fast food restaurants. It was literally almost eat their food or nothing. And I loved it. Turned out that one of my favorites was papadum. Still love it whenever I can still get it.

It was because of my love of Indian food that I was interested in visiting India. I first discovered Indian restaurants in NYC in the 1960s, and became a regular at them when I lived in London in the 70s. When I visited India in the 80s and 90s, the best Indian food was usually found in big hotels, although I did eat in a couple of good independent restaurants in Mumbai. Even street food never made me sick, but the water was something else. In the countryside, the safest thing to drink was coconut water from a coconut slashed open right in front of you.

I first visited India 1992 when I was 24 years old. I spent a month backpacking and visited Delhi, and Rajasthan (Jaipur, Udaipur, and Jaiselmer). Took a two day camel safari into the Thar desert. Hit by a sand storm in the middle of the night. Woke up to about 30 scorpions. Also visited Kashmir. I was young and dumb and didn’t realize how dangerous it was. I could hear a lot of gunfire. Stayed Ina beautiful old house boat. Waterskiing in Srinagar.

Ended the tour in Agra with the red fort and of course Tahj Mahal.

Went several times for work.

Then went again in 1997. Visited the south, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Beautiful temples...shore temple, mahabalipurim.

Backwater tour of Kerala. Cochin was great. Visited an old synagogue.

Then Karnataka. Mysore palaces....Srabananbelaga...huge nude Buddha on top of a mountain. Amazing temples and caves....

I want to go back. Plus I think Indian men are gorgeous.

• 4 weeks later...
I never got to the north, but I visited all the places you mention in the south. In general, I preferred the south, especially Kerala.

I should have been more specific: I have never been to the far north, like the Punjab and Kashmir. I have, of course, been to the places that I tend to think of as central, although they really are certainly north India, like Delhi, Agra, Rajastan, Varanasi, Khajuraho, Gwalior and Calcutta.