Twins

Avalon
This topic is 2099 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a female cousin, my age, who has twin sons; they are in their 40s. At one time my cousin and I were close; we spent Summers together at our grandmother's.

Her sons are identical. I last saw them when they were @10yo. About ten years later I was visiting my aunt - my father's sister and their grandmother. She had their high school prom pictures hanging on the wall. She said that she could only tell them apart by their dates. She further said that only their mother could tell them apart.

I've not seen my cousin since last century. Yesterday I emailed her about my bad leg. She replied that one of the twins had had a sore on one of his legs and had to visit a wound center for a year.

What I thought was especially interesting was she said that he was overweight. I would have thought identical twins would have remained alike throughout life.

I have a female cousin, my age, who has twin sons; they are in their 40s. At one time my cousin and I were close; we spent Summers together at our grandmother's.

Her sons are identical. I last saw them when they were @10yo. About ten years later I was visiting my aunt - my father's sister and their grandmother. She had their high school prom pictures hanging on the wall. She said that she could only tell them apart by their dates. She further said that only their mother could tell them apart.

I've not seen my cousin since last century. Yesterday I emailed her about my bad leg. She replied that one of the twins had had a sore on one of his legs and had to visit a wound center for a year.

What I thought was especially interesting was she said that he was overweight. I would have thought identical twins would have remained alike throughout life.

Just because people share genes doesn't mean they are always alike in everything they say, do, or experience. Maybe one eats more than the other. Maybe one enjoyed sports/exercise more than the other. Maybe one had an accident that cause him to be less mobile/athletic/get less exercise. Maybe one was bitten by a spider/bug and developed the sore/wound that way.

Just because people share genes doesn't mean they are always alike in everything they say, do, or experience. Maybe one eats more than the other. Maybe one enjoyed sports/exercise more than the other. Maybe one had an accident that cause him to be less mobile/athletic/get less exercise. Maybe one was bitten by a spider/bug and developed the sore/wound that way.

All makes sense. Thanks!

We have a set of identical twins and triplets. The twins are easy, because ones face is rounder. Their father and I seem to be the only ones that notice it. The triplets were impossible to tell apart. But they each have a beauty mark in a different place on their necks

I have several sets of twins in my family only one set look exactly the same. I am twin also, but my brother died shortly after we were born.

You write about having very few family members other than a half sister. Here's a chance to be more friendly with a cousin.

A guy that I worked for many years ago was an identical twin. He and his twin brother had lived very different lives. When I met the brother, it was amazing how dissimilar they had become as a result of their choice of paths.

A guy that I worked for many years ago was an identical twin. He and his twin brother had lived very different lives. When I met the brother, it was amazing how dissimilar they had become as a result of their choice of paths.

I wonder about this happening with my twins. Currently as alike as two peas in a pod, they are pursuing extremely different lives. One thinks he wants to be a computer engineer, the other a Navy SEAL or pilot. We'll see how much they diverge as time goes on.

It could be worse. My brother does not know all the names of his living first cousins. He the oldest cousin, "that woman."

I have five first cousins all on my father's side of the family. Four have children. And I only know the names of the children of two of them and none of the grandchildren except for one who died young. One of my cousins died several years ago.

@Avalon, my oldest uncle (not great uncle) worked on constucting the Panema Canels. I had no contact ever with his daughter. When my mother died in 2000, I called Helen in Canada. She wanted to buried with our grandmother. I know my mom's silbings would not have agreed but I still helped. It is never too late to connect no matter the distance.

Edited by WilliamM

@Avadon, my oldest uncle (not great uncle) worked on constucting the Panema Canels. I had no contact ever with his daughter. When my died in 2000, I called Helen in Canada. She wanted to buried with our grandmother. I know my mom's silbings would not have agreed but I still helped. It is never too late to connect no matter the distance.

My paternal grandmother said that her father worked on the Panama Canal. He would have just been a common laborer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal

My paternal grandmother said that her father worked on the Panama Canal. He would have just been a common laborer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal

Given that my uncle worked on building the canal, I praise Pres. Carter for agreeing to include Panama. He had to admit that talking to Senators was not his best qualities. Instead he wrote to all 100 senators. And he asked Gerald Ford and Henry Kissinger to call. Also, his wife and Lady Bird Johnson.