Gman Is Giving You His Tip

Gar1eth
This topic is 2085 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No, No, No!! Not that tip!!!:p

It's a laundry tip. I had some ink on a shirt that I needed to get out. I had a vague memory that when I was younger we sprayed hairspray on the spot. Well, I looked it up on the Web. The site I found said the reason that used to work was due to the fact that most hairsprays had tons of alcohol in them. It was the alcohol and not the hairspray that dissolved the ink. Today most hairsprays have either reduced the amount of alcohol or have removed it entirely.

Looking a bit further either on that website or another to find a modern day solution, I came across the suggestion to use hand sanitizer. Most of them are at least 60% alcohol or higher. I've actually used this, and in 3 out of 4 cases so far it's worked. And I have hopes for the 4th shirt. It's removed a lot of the ink. I'm leaving the hand sanitizer on it for a few hours to see if that will remove the last bit. You do have to rub the spot a bit after applying. But this stuff is incredible!!

Gman

Does anyone know if this technique works on old ink stains after numerous washing? I'm guessing not.

I guess that would depend on whether your question was a metaphor or whether you were really asking about a stain on a shirt!:p

It's a laundry tip. I had some ink on a shirt that I needed to get out. I had a vague memory that when I was younger we sprayed hairspray on the spot. Well, I looked it up on the Web. The site I found said the reason that used to work was due to the fact that most hairsprays had tons of alcohol in them. It was the alcohol and not the hairspray that dissolved the ink. Today most hairsprays have either reduced the amount of alcohol or have removed it entirely.

Gman

Just the tip, eh.....*chuckle*

I remember one of my elementary school teachers (6th grade, maybe???) giving the same advice to one of my classmates who had a pen come apart in his hand and leak all the ink all over him and his clothes. I don't know what it is about it, but even the "pump bottles" instead of the spray cans seemed to help keep the stain from setting in some weeks later when something similar happened to me.

My mother was incredulous when I told her the tip as a child. She was equally incredulous when it worked quite well.

Does anyone know if this technique works on old ink stains after numerous washing? I'm guessing not.

I guess that would depend on whether your question was a metaphor or whether you were really asking about a stain on a shirt!:p

I have no idea what that could have been a metaphor for. :confused:

But if we are talking about an actual stain, then it might. It's going to depend probably on the ink type and how tightly the ink has bonded to the fibers of the shirt. I have a pair of jeans with an ink stain that has been washed and dried repeatedly for over a year. I put some sanitizer on it, and while the spot hasn't come out of it (yet), a lot of ink started dissolving to the point that the spot started spreading. I'd probably let the sanitizer sit on the stain for a while (if you are ok with the possibility that the alcohol might fade the material), rinse with cold water, and keep repeating.

Gman

Hairspray...haven’t needed that for a while! :D

Do they still sell it??:confused:

best-hair-spray-for-women.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

@rvwnsd could you zoom in to the one on the left - BlowPro... yes, that one, I’d like to see what all it does!!:rolleyes::D

I was going to snap a picture of BlowPro in its natural habitat, but three CVS's, two Walgreens, and a Safeway were all out!

And now we interrupt our regularly scheduled thread with a musical interlude.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress.

Gman