Mackinac Island

This topic is 2099 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Soon, I’ll check one off the bucket list - a stay it the Grand Hotel on Mackinac. I need some help in backup planning.

My problem: less than 1 hour in flight delays will likely cause us to miss the last ferry at 5:30 to the island. The hotel doesn’t have a boat service (a bit surprising given its cost...). They suggested I contact a small plane charter service who offers the 12 minute flight for $1,200 (not quite the cost of one night at the hotel); part of their expense is deadhead miles from their home airstrip. Interesingly, when the hotel suggested that option, they indicated it was not much more costly than the $15/person ferry...uh huh...:eek:

I’m struggling to believe that there’s not some other option. Have any of you been there before with some insight to offer?

Also, besides relaxing and chocolate and horses, is there something special to do up there?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many high end bed and breakfast places in the area, or within 60 miles. Go explore, stay a night in one of these and then spend the whole next day and night on the island. Its a beautiful area and great for sightseeing. Remember I believe the island closes down for the winter season

Update: I contacted the hotel again this morning, this time by email. There is another small charter plane service that seems considerably less expensive from St Ignace. @BigK, they said that most of their guests arrive the day before and stay in Mackinac City the first night. I was amused since, comparing options on the mainland, it would be like a “basement to penthouse” experience to do that.

I'm surprised ferry service ends at 5:30, especially in summer, where being on the western edge of the eastern time zone, it stays light out till around 9:30 or so. There is ferry service from either Mackinac City in the lower peninsula, or St. Ignace in the upper peninsula.

Nice relaxing place, although town is crowded in the day time. You end up dodging cyclists, and getting out the way of the horses. You'll get used to the manure smell quickly. Watch where you walk in the street. Lots of shops to look at, and bar/restaurants to get away from shopping. Fort Mackinac is worth a visit if you like history. Up on a hill.

Have stayed at both Grand Hotel, and Mission Point. Both old. Grand Hotel has the history, and good food (included in your rate). Can get humid, and most rooms don't have AC (or didn't when I stayed there in 2001). Ester Williams swam in their pool. I liked the big open lobby with wood ceilings at Mission Point. Room decorated a bit better. Both resorts are a walk to/from town, but not bad. Back when I stayed at Grand Hotel, non-guests had to pay $10 to see the hotel.

Both times I went, drove to St. Ignace, and spent the night before there.

Edited by bashful

I wondered if the hotel had a dress code; it does.

I suppose I’m glad you posted this...but d@mn ”...after 6:30...gentleman are required to wear a suit coat, necktie and dress pants, no denim or shorts....”. I don’t even wear a tie to work or my board meetings anymore!:mad:

...and good food (included in your rate)

Well THAT’s a pleasant surprise:)

...I still think I’ll wear my tie around my head like a bandana :p

Meals included if your package is American Plan, either Full American Plan, or Modified American Plan. We opted for Modified (no lunch).

No plans by those names referenced:(...but I have such dietary issues that it may have been moot anyway.

I do have a "named room" though...

They filmed "Somewhere in Time", with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, on Mackinac Island in the summer of 1979 or 1980; the Grand Hotel was featured prominently in the movie. A friend of mine was lifeguarding on the island that summer and saw some of the filming.

I remember the movie...it cemented my desire to go there. My first exposure was as a kid - Childcraft Encyclopedias had a page in the "Places to Know" volume about the "island with no cars"...my first exposure and I've wanted to go since.

Not sure when you're going, but even if it's after Labor Day, I was told by a resident that it's one of the best months weather-wise. A warmer breeze is felt from the lakes, that have warmed over the summer, than you would have with the same temp in the spring, or early summer.