Can You Hear Church Bells From Where You Live?

Avalon
This topic is 2114 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Super, Avalon! Looks like we're just about ready to do a seminar in this thread.

Btw--whenever I visit England one of my fave details is the sound of actual church bells ringing. Happened to pass a church in July where a wedding was concluding--hung around just to listen to the joyful pealing.

I live near the parish church. And sometimes if otherwise it's very quiet I can hear the noon Angelus bells ring. It's canned.

They have it at noon too? Where I grew up, they said the Angelus on the radio every day at 6PM. It was strange-a top 40 station interrupting programming every day for the Angelus prayer.

There's a Mormon church down the street and an Assembly of God church down the cross street, but no bells, just lots of cute young Mormon missionaries. I really enjoy them.

I know! I like to impress them; I have Mormon roots. When the missionaries came to England in the 1840s there was a widow woman with two grown daughters with families of their own. The widow woman - my great great great great grandmother - she joined the church and came to Nauvoo, Illinois where the church headquarters was then. In 1847 she died in Iowa when the Mormons were going to Utah.

I know! I like to impress them; I have Mormon roots. When the missionaries came to England in the 1840s there was a widow woman with two grown daughters with families of their own. The widow woman - my great great great great grandmother - she joined the church and came to Nauvoo, Illinois where the church headquarters was then. In 1847 she died in Iowa when the Mormons were going to Utah.

They're so persistent that they will chat all day long if you let them. Several years ago I had a spine surgery. I was supposed to go out and walk several times a day and I had a walker that I used outside of the house. I was out walking and a swarm of missionaries surrounded me, all of them eager to help. I chatted with them for awhIle and told them I wasn't looking for a new religion, so they went there way after that.

www.mormonboyz.com but the real Mormons are waaay hotter!

I don't think facial hair is the norm for Mormons these day; it doesn't meet BYU studies.

So I had this Mormon friend and I was going to buy her a gift for her birthday. A Mormon had made his garage into a bookstore. But later when I went back another time it was no longer a bookstore but was now a dorm for missionaries. Half-a-dozen young men were surprised when I opened the door and walked in!

I've heard of missionaries falling in love with their mission companion.

Watch this fun episode of a quirky HBO show:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6870564/

Thank-you!

One thing - one said should we offer it up to Saint Augustine. I doubt that most Mormons have heard of Saint Augustine of Hippo. He became an unwed teenage father at age 17.

His famous quote is

‘Lord make me pure but not yet!’

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Days

A movie about a gay missionary.

Edited by Avalon