God's Own Country

JohnGerman
This topic is 1920 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just watched God's Own Country on Netflix and found the film deeply moving. It's more of a coming of age movie about a young man's realization of love and affection. People compare it to Brokeback Mountain. I personally prefer this one much more. (And I have to admit that for whatever the reason, the film Brokeback Mountain didn't touch me at all.) And it's also much grittier, more raw, and, at least in my eyes, more erotic, than Call Me by Your Name. Of course it helps a great deal that the second lead, Gheorghe, is very cute, with those big sad eyes. :p Normally I find Eastern European guys a bit too cold for my liking, but this guy is very sensual.

Edited by JohnGerman

I just watched God's Own Country on Netflix and found the film deeply moving. It's more of a coming of age movie about a young man's realization of love and affection. People compare it to Brokeback Mountain. I personally prefer this one much more. (And I have to admit that for whatever the reason, the film Brokeback Mountain didn't touch me at all.) And it's also much grittier, more raw, and, at least in my eyes, more erotic, than Call Me by Your Name. Of course it helps a great deal that the second lead, Gheorghe, is very cute, with those big sad eyes. :p Normally I find Eastern European guys a bit too cold for my liking, but this guy is very sensual.

I watched it for the 2nd time this weekend. Never felt the need to watch Brokeback mountain for a 2nd time, so your point is well taken. That being said: consider that Brokeback was more than 12 years ago, made for a very different time. That production took some pretty heavy weight hollywood stars and cast them in a gay/questioning role. Gay cowboys in the American West!! Prayer groups were formed, bibles were clutched, Jeff Sessions almost swallowed his tongue... I think I WILL watch Brokeback again, this weekend!! ;)

I watched it for the 2nd time this weekend. Never felt the need to watch Brokeback mountain for a 2nd time, so your point is well taken. That being said: consider that Brokeback was more than 12 years ago, made for a very different time. That production took some pretty heavy weight hollywood stars and cast them in a gay/questioning role. Gay cowboys in the American West!! Prayer groups were formed, bibles were clutched, Jeff Sessions almost swallowed his tongue... I think I WILL watch Brokeback again, this weekend!! ;)

I am pretty sure Jeff Session still hasn't recovered!!!:D

I liked Brokeback except for the the casting of Jake Gyllenhaal who just does not have the acting heft for the role and Ann Hathaway who I do not think is good in anything.

As for Jeff Sessions, it appears he is getting his payback now with his Religious Liberty Taskforce (https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeff-sessions-religious-liberty-task-force-declares-holy-war-on-lgbt-people?source=articles&via=rss&yptr=yahoo).

I have to admit that a major reason Brokeback Mountain didn't resonate with me was the casting choice. Jake Gyllenhaal was not suitable for the role. There is just nothing "cowboy" about him at all. And Ann Hathaway is a complete miscast in her role. Michelle Williams was a good one, and Heath Ledger was merely adequate, in my opinion. I would much prefer Shawn Hatosy (and he did play a somewhat gay role before, in Borstal Boy), or maybe even give Brad Renfro (RIP) a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I downloaded God's Own Country from Netflix to my iPad, and watched it on a flight home yesterday. I must admit that the best part for me was that there was a beefy young military serviceman sleeping in the seat next to me -- through the male nudity, eroticism, and sex scenes.

The circumstances were gritty and real, the scenery was both gorgeous and harsh, and the characters seemed fairly well-defined. I just felt that the story, the relationship, and the resolution were overly simplistic. Disapproving father and grandmother came around much too quickly and without conflict, and Johnny's transition from self-loathing casual hookups to intimacy to commitment within a week or two was unrealistic and dumb. The scene where Johnny wearing Gheorghe's sweater subtly referred back to Gheorghe putting the skin on the lamb was IMO the most beautiful and clever element. God's Own Country is much better than most, but it's still a "gay movie" instead of being a movie. For a story about a man's emotional growth and a relationship there's no substance to justify either the growth or the relationship.

Oddly enough, I had chosen Finding Neverland for my outbound flight last week, and Ian Hart appears in both movies.

• 4 weeks later...