Ever Hear Of A Human & Canine Restaurant?

Avalon
This topic is 2140 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You have a problem with customers of size?:rolleyes:

Not the same thing at all. The restaurant is there for its patrons - even large ones. The restaurant as a courtesy to its patrons, may choose to accomodate dogs, but a patron expecting a restaurant to take up space intended for patrons to accomodate an outsized dog doesn't seem reasonable.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the same thing at all. The restaurant is there for its patrons - even large ones. The restaurant as a courtesy to its patrons, may choose to accomodate dogs, but a patron expecting a restaurant to take up space intended for patrons to accomodate an outsized dog doesn't seem reasonable.

More old-fashioned human-centrism. Try to put yourself in the other guy's paws.

Maybe you should explain your situation to the hostess when you first enter the establishment? Of course these days the rights of the person with the animal will trump your health rights.

Personally I think you should get the meal free and have it bagged up to go.

The situation actually arose about 10 years ago in NYC when service animals were just beginning to be recognized. Fortunately I was just finishing my meal. I got up and paid my tab at the bar.

But years before that I was seated at the front of a flight whose take off was delayed more than an hour. I was busy trying to solve my NYTimes Sunday crossword when I suddenly couldn’t breathe. Just then I heard a passenger 10 or more rows behind me argue with a stewardess who ordered her to put her cat back in its travel container. The exchange went on a bit until I stood up and gasped “Please lady. I can’t breathe!” Later when I went to use the lavatory at the rear of the plane I got the “you should die” stare from this lady.

More recently early on a Sunday morning at my local Starbucks which has a nice covered outdoor terrace, two gentlemen of the lighter loafer sort pranced in with their TWO prancing lapdogs on leashes that reached the next zip code. Since I’d not finished my daily oatmeal and coffee I pointed to the sign that set forth the store’s pet policy which permitted service animals. One smugly said “Service dogs”. I said “Bullshit!! and your ‘service dogs’ are endangering my health. Since my rising blood pressure was becoming an even greater danger I got up and left!

But I like @tassojunior suggestion. In the future I’ll just ask for a human bag.

The situation actually arose about 10 years ago in NYC when service animals were just beginning to be recognized. Fortunately I was just finishing my meal. I got up and paid my tab at the bar.

But years before that I was seated at the front of a flight whose take off was delayed more than an hour. I was busy trying to solve my NYTimes Sunday crossword when I suddenly couldn’t breathe. Just then I heard a passenger 10 or more rows behind me argue with a stewardess who ordered her to put her cat back in its travel container. The exchange went on a bit until I stood up and gasped “Please lady. I can’t breathe!” Later when I went to use the lavatory at the rear of the plane I got the “you should die” stare from this lady.

More recently early on a Sunday morning at my local Starbucks which has a nice covered outdoor terrace, two gentlemen of the lighter loafer sort pranced in with their TWO prancing lapdogs on leashes that reached the next zip code. Since I’d not finished my daily oatmeal and coffee I pointed to the sign that set forth the store’s pet policy which permitted service animals. One smugly said “Service dogs”. I said “Bullshit!! and your ‘service dogs’ are endangering my health. Since my rising blood pressure was becoming an even greater danger I got up and left!

But I like @tassojunior suggestion. In the future I’ll just ask for a human bag.

People have got to understand that the needs of humans have got to come first and foremost before that of animals!

Well...I'm not allergic to anything and I'm clearly on the pro-dogs-in-restaurants side here; but if I were allergic I'd talk with the hostess when I was being seated. Can't imagine they wouldn't accomodate.

But I'm reminded of another line on the same page from the dog-friendly restaurant in Seattle: "If you are not a fan of dogs, then we suggest you go elsewhere in Fremont."

Please understand that there is a difference between a Service Animal and an Emotional Support or Therapy Animal.

A Service Animal is defined by Title II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. That would include Seeing Eye Dogs, Seizure Detection Dogs, and Hearing Assistance Dogs. All Service Animals are the result of lengthy Training and serve very specific functions aiding the Disabled in their day to day activities. Without their Service Animals many disabled people ( including many Disabled Veterans) would be house bound. With Service Animals the Disabled can enjoy much more Freedom.

Comfort Animals, Emotional Support Animals, and Therapy Animals are a very different story. There is no Federal Law defining this less specific category. The definitions are made by States and Local jurisdictions. You can often get your Dog declared an emotional support animal by a visit to your Doctor and your Vet. It got really bad here in California where suddenly you couldn’t go into a restaurant or market without someone’s beloved Yorkie or Chihuahua trotting down the frozen food aisle occasionally stopping to take a piss. Many establishments here are now posting signs at the entrance “Service Dogs Only”.

Please don’t get me wrong. I love my Dog, and I would love to have her with me wherever I go. But she is not a Service Dog. She is however the love of my life.

Edited by body2body

Please understand that there is a difference between a Service Animal and an Emotional Support or Therapy Animal.

A Service Animal is defined by Title II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. That would include Seeing Eye Dogs, Seizure Detection Dogs, and Hearing Assistance Dogs. All Service Animals are the result of lengthy Training and serve very specific functions aiding the Disabled in their day to day activities. Without their Service Animals many disabled people ( including many Disabled Veterans) would be house bound. With Service Animals the Disabled can enjoy much more Freedom.

Comfort Animals, Emotional Support Animals, and Therapy Animals are a very different story. There is no Federal Law defining this less specific category. The definitions are made by States and Local jurisdictions. You can often get your Dog declared an emotional support animal by a visit to your Doctor and your Vet. It got really bad here in California where suddenly you couldn’t go into a restaurant or market without someone’s beloved Yorkie or Chihuahua trotting down the frozen food aisle occasionally stopping to take a piss. Many establishments here are now posting signs at the entrance “Service Dogs Only”.

Please don’t get me wrong. I love my Dog, and I would love to have her with me wherever I go. But she is not a Service Dog. She is however the love of my life and where reasonabl

Even with my allergies I will defer at all times to a Service Animal. Perhaps it’s a “there but for the grace of God ho I” response. The problem arises from a general public that makes no distinction between a Service Animal and an emotional support animal and accords them the same deference.

A half a century ago I took a course in College entitled What is Math. It was taught by professor who was nearly blind. His eyeglasses were like coke bottle bottoms. As he rambled on unintelligibly he would face the class and scribble on the board with his left hand without ever looking at what he wrote which as can imagine was illegible. One of my fellow students was totally blind. He would arrive a moment on two ahead of class and set up his recorder while his guide dog laid down on the floor facing to the rear. Minds wandered often and I’d frequently catch the guide dog staring at me as if about to growl. The topic and guide dog intimidated me. Suffice it to say that the only person to get a passing grade in that course was: you guessed it - the blind guy. I flunked out as a math major a semester later.

More old-fashioned human-centrism. Try to put yourself in the other guy's paws.

It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Devoting the square footage to paying customers probably generates more revenue than allowing someone to take it up with a dog, although allowing dogs certainly generates good will.

A couple weeks ago I spent the weekend at the Hilton Hotel in Santa Clara. It's a comfortable place - I always enjoy staying. The one drawback is that there is an awful lot of sound leakage between guest rooms, but occupancy is low on weekends so it isn't a problem. They have started a weekend promotion, I think to attract families, where people are allowed to bring their dogs. All weekend long, I had to listen to dogs barking in the adjacent rooms. I emailed the GM and suggested that that promotion wasn't a good match for a property with such thin walls. She apologized for the inconvenience, but I'm probably done with that hotel. The Hyatt is right next door and costs about the same.

It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Devoting the square footage to paying customers probably generates more revenue than allowing someone to take it up with a dog, although allowing dogs certainly generates good will.

A couple weeks ago I spent the weekend at the Hilton Hotel in Santa Clara. It's a comfortable place - I always enjoy staying. The one drawback is that there is an awful lot of sound leakage between guest rooms, but occupancy is low on weekends so it isn't a problem. They have started a weekend promotion, I think to attract families, where people are allowed to bring their dogs. All weekend long, I had to listen to dogs barking in the adjacent rooms. I emailed the GM and suggested that that promotion wasn't a good match for a property with such thin walls. She apologized for the inconvenience, but I'm probably done with that hotel. The Hyatt is right next door and costs about the same.

Yeah, I've navigated the whole dog-friendly hotel thing a lot. 1st- The "dog" rooms are usually on the first floor and are not updated rooms (to put it kindly). Often they're also smoking rooms. Few people would accept them if assigned. 2nd- They consider it pet-friendly to charge an extra $100 a night or so for a dog. I don't. When I stayed at pet-friendly hotels with a dog I just snuck him in. If I can bring a hooker to my room I can bring my dog.

Motel 6, La Quinta and Drudy were the only chains that allowed dogs in all their locations for free. There aren't many of the last two in California but there's a Motel 6 at every interchange so for 3 years visiting California I was usually in Motel 6 hell. It made me a tougher person.

Edited by tassojunior

I was told this story by a flight attendant on a recent flight: There was an older female passenger on one of her flights who was accompanied by the “lady’s” small “comfort animal”. The “lady” was seated on the aisle and her “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the passenger seated in the center seat. When the flight attendant came by to ask to “lady” to take charge of her “comfort animal” the “lady” informed the flight attendant that she had the proper papers for her dog and the flight attendant should shut up and mind her own business. All during the exchange the “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the flight attendant. The flight attendant, in tears, when to the front of the plane and called the captain. When the captain came out to discuss the matter with the passenger he was also told that he had no right to ask her to take charge of her “comfort animal” and that he should go away and leave her and her “comfort animal” alone. All during the exchange the “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the captain. The captain returned to the cockpit and proceeded to land the flight in midflight where he requested the presence of local law enforcement. The law enforcement personal forcibly removed the “lady” and her “comfort animal’ from the plane to the loud applause of the other passengers. My kind of captain!

The flight attendant also mentioned that she had encountered passenger accompanied by their “comfort” boa constrictors, chickens, and potbellied pigs. This whole “comfort animal” nonsense is totally out of control and is in my, not so humble, opinion pure bullshit.

I was fortunate to have a wonderful female American Cocker Spaniel as a pet for fourteen years. Her name was Whoops and she was the joy of my life. I vividly remember crying all the way home from the vet when I had to put her to sleep. But as much as I loved her I ALWAYS remembered that she was a dog not a person. I didn’t impose her on my friends and my fellow restaurant dinners. However, she did sit on my bed every evening and watched movies with me. The only reason I don’t currently have another cocker is that I travel too much and I’m at an age where the dog might out live me. I only mention Whoops because I don’t want to be accused of being an animal hater. So much for this post I’ve now got to go out and fill my hummingbird feeders.

Edited by Epigonos

I was told this story by a flight attendant on a recent flight: There was an older female passenger on one of her flights who was accompanied by the “lady’s” small “comfort animal”. The “lady” was seated on the aisle and her “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the passenger seated in the center seat. When the flight attendant came by to ask to “lady” to take charge of her “comfort animal” the “lady” informed the flight attendant that she had the proper papers for her dog and the flight attendant should shut up and mind her own business. All during the exchange the “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the flight attendant. The flight attendant in tears when to the front of the plane and called the captain. When the captain came out to discuss the matter with the passenger he was also told that he had no right to ask her to take charge of her “comfort animal” and that he should go away and leave her and her “comfort animal” alone. All during the exchange the “comfort animal” was growling and snapping at the captain. The captain returned to the cockpit and proceeded to land the flight in midflight where he requested the presence of local law enforcement. The law enforcement personal forcibly removed the “lady” and her “comfort animal’ from the plane to the loud applause of the other passengers. My kind of captain!

The flight attendant also mentioned that she had encountered passenger accompanied by their “comfort” boa constructors, chickens, and potbellied pigs. This whole “comfort animal” nonsense is totally out of control and is in my, not so humble, opinion pure bullshit.

I was fortunate to have a wonderful female American Cocker Spaniel as a pet for fourteen years. Her name was Whoops and she was the joy of my life. I vividly remember crying all the way home from the vet when I had to put her to sleep. But as much as I loved her I ALWAYS remembered that she was a dog not a person. I didn’t impose her on my friends and my fellow restaurant dinners. However, she did sit on my bed every evening and watched movies with me. The only reason I don’t currently have another cocker is that I travel too much and I’m at an age where the dog might out live me. I only mention Whoops because I don’t want to be accused of being an animal hater. So much for this post I’ve now got to go out and fill my hummingbird feeders.

Great airline story! This idea of comfort animals has really gone to ridiculous lengths. Good for the pilot!!!

Great airline story! This idea of comfort animals has really gone to ridiculous lengths. Good for the pilot!!!

I'm on the dogs' side 100%.

If you have a personal item space in front of your seat to use what business is it of their's if you use it for the airline pet carrier made to fit there? How does it cost them $175 each way more? Extortion.

Same with hotels. If you're paying $100 for a room, how does it cost them an additional $100 for your dog to sleep on the floor? Again: extortion.

Most dogs are relaxing to be around and fun. I can't say the same for many travelers and especially not their KIDS. God kids are awful traveling around.

The unfortunate truth is that "comfort animals" do NOT need to be placed in pet carriers. I was on a flight about a years ago when a passenger had a German Sheppard as a "comfort animal". There is NO way a German Sheppard will fit in the under the seat pet carriers. The dog sat next to the passenger in her seat.