Top 3 people in history you'd like to have dinner with

samhexum
This topic is 2150 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an excellent topic for discussion!

I seem to remember a PBS show many years that brought famous historical people together.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've chosen my three:

Caesar. Without him the world would be very different today.

Rambam (Moses Maimonides) https://www.quora.com/Why-was-it-said-of-Moses-Maimonides-From-Moses-to-Moses-there-were-none-like-Moses

Dante. His "Divine Comedy" is my favorite poem.

A good mix. A statesman, a philosopher and a poet.

Edited by Avalon

To make sure the conversation is interesting to me

Richard Feynman

Isaac Asimov

Darwin

I was thinking of putting Von Neumann there, who many people think is the brightest man there ever was on Earth, but he wasn’t an educator and I think more than 3/4 of what he would say would be completely lost to me.

To make sure the conversation is interesting to me

Richard Feynman

Isaac Asimov

Darwin

I was thinking of putting Von Neumann there, who many people think is the brightest man there ever was on Earth, but he wasn’t an educator and I think more than 3/4 of what he would say would be completely lost to me.

As contrasted to Asimov, who was brilliant, but was also well known for explaining complicated subjects to people unfamiliar with them. He had at least three books in that vein, "Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare", "Asimov's Guide to the Bible", and "Asimov's Guide to Science". Knowing something doesn't necessarily mean you can explain it to someone. Teaching is a skill. I like to think I have that skill, but like being humble, or being a good lover, it's something that doesn't mean much if you claim that skill for yourself; other people need to attest to it.

Edited by poolboy48220

Jesus, probably choose a fish place

Mary Renault

Malcom X

"Jesus, probably choose a fish place" ;-))) Don't have to worry about the wine! ;-)))

Mary Renault - I greatly enjoyed "The Persian Boy".

Malcolm X - only after he made the Hajj.

"Jesus, probably choose a fish place" ;-))) Don't have to worry about the wine! ;-)))

Mary Renault - I greatly enjoyed "The Persian Boy".

Malcolm X - only after he made the Hajj.

Renault studied briefly under JRR Tolkien, worked as a nurse during the war, left the UK with her partner never to return, and became a renowned expert on Greek antiquity. She wrote with great subtlety about same sex love during a time the behavior was still illegal in most places. She was JFK's favorite author. She settled in a bungalow at the beach in Cape Town. I would probably have lunch with her at that bungalow and then watch with her the blond boys surfing in the ocean, which I read she was apt to do.

Her book The Last of the Wine about the fall of democracy in Athens is hauntingly similar to what is happening today, how the oligarchs handed Sparta the keys to the city. But we covered most of this in your other thread, didn't we?

Edited by E.T.Bass

Renault studied briefly under JRR Tolkien, worked as a nurse during the war, left the UK with her partner never to return, and became a renowned expert on Greek antiquity. She wrote with great subtlety about same sex love during a time the behavior was still illegal in most places. She was JFK's favorite author. She settled in a bungalow at the beach in Cape Town. I would probably have lunch with her at that bungalow and then watch with her the blond boys surfing in the ocean, which I read she was apt to do in one of her biographies.

Her book The Last of the Wine about the fall of democracy in Athens is hauntingly similar to what is happening today, how the oligarchs handed Sparta the keys to the city. But we covered most of this in your other thread, didn't we?

Right! But as I said before other than "The Persian Boy" I just could not get into her other works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Renault

Yeah, well you weren't invited to my lunch with her. So yeah.

Enjoy your lunch with Caesar. :rolleyes:

Thank-you! One dinner game to avoid is "How would you like to die?". It didn't fare too well for Caesar last time. ;-)))

The menu would be difficult because of Maimonides. Probably vegetarian. Maybe he would need to bring the wine.

Maybe a Sunday brunch?

Elitist!

Feminazi, lesbian...

Fake news... the CNN of his time.

You're supposed to say: Ronald Reagan all 3 times...

Well played my friend...finally an answer with a real sense of humor!

Inner Harbor thoughts,

Kipp